Gibson Brands Forums

The LPJ Club

CJ Smith

I used to get paranoid about the marks and signs of use on my lpj but now I like the fact that it's starting to look worn in. Definitely gives the guitar character. And I would definitely agree with all the previous posters who have mentioned the guitar getting better over time. After having mine for a year it feels and sounds better than when it was new. A marvellous instrument.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to get paranoid about the marks and signs of use on my lpj but now I like the fact that it's starting to look worn in. Definitely gives the guitar character. And I would definitely agree with all the previous posters who have mentioned the guitar getting better over time. After having mine for a year it feels and sounds better than when it was new. A marvellous instrument.

im still carefull with mine, but for general use I really like how it wears in over time. i think im finally done tinkering with the setup on mine. awesome guitars

im still carefull with mine, but for general use I really like how it wears in over time. i think im finally done tinkering with the setup on mine. awesome guitars

Awesome guitars, indeed. A real gem if I don't say so, myself. I can definitely say my LPJ feels and plays better and better as it ages.

Hi CJ,

Had to pop back in for this - when you told me you raised your TP but you were not sure how high it should be,

a loud siren and signal flares went off at me (I was concerned you may have raised it too much).

That's why I said make sure either end of TP is not above 3/8", and get a setup!

I had no idea just how high your TP was raised. [scared][scared][scared] ...scary stuff.

---

There is no 'set' height rule on either end of the TP.

It depends on action, TP angle, string clearance from south side of bridge, intonation, etc..

OK, POTLC? [smile]

---

Now, back to my three guitars with many changes and a ways to go. Then taking a much needed rest for a spell.

Talk to 'ya soon. [biggrin]

Hey, man. I didn't raise my TP that much. Just enough to where my strings weren't resting on that back of the bridge. But thanks for the input. As usual, you've been very helpful. Enjoy those gems of yours.

Talk to ya in a bit.

I had lots of marks on mine, some made with my fingernails and others with the pic.

At first i hated them but over time it becomes less important.

The most painfull was the first mark.

But if you decide someday you wan´t to repair your finish and you don´t care if it get´s a little shiny try some Virtuoso ceaner and polish.

I wanted to shine up my LPJ and when i was finished i noticed that all those little marks where gone.

Greets Marcos

• 3 weeks later...

My first post featuring my first Gibson. Https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgv3sipdrd3pyy1/p20141204-145400.jpg?dl=0

15975644622_31d60bfabf_z.jpg

This guitar was Sam Ash's last lefty LPJ Goldtop and was hard to get into my hands, but I got! I immediately got rid of the black hardware for cream and amber bits. It will be replacing the pickup covers as well. Yes, just the covers ( stay tuned for that). The knobs are wrong and sit high off the body, so I'll need to fix that. I'm loving the 50's neck, it is totally different than my 1994 Epiphone LP100, which will now go under the knife.(original owner).

My first post featuring my first Gibson. Https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgv3sipdrd3pyy1/p20141204-145400.jpg?dl=0

This guitar was Sam Ash's last lefty LPJ Goldtop and was hard to get into my hands, but I got! I immediately got rid of the black hardware for cream and amber bits. It will be replacing the pickup covers as well. Yes, just the covers ( stay tuned for that). The knobs are wrong and sit high off the body, so I'll need to fix that. I'm loving the 50's neck, it is totally different than my 1994 Epiphone LP100, which will now go under the knife.(original owner).

Hello and welcome!

Realy nice GT looks a lot better with cream, and keep us informed about your cover swap. It's something that i have to do someday myself.

Greetz Marcos

• 3 weeks later...

Cool

Hello and welcome!

Realy nice GT looks a lot better with cream, and keep us informed about your cover swap. It's something that i have to do someday myself.

Greetz Marcos

The new covers are on the way. I ordered 2 sets, so if I am successful with my mod, I'll build a second set.

For those ho do not know, the humbuckers beneath the black plastic covers are also black, and with out tangs to mounts the pickup. You MUST have a cover to use these pickups. Much like EMG pickups. Who, at one point offered replacement metal covers, but I haven't been able to find them anymore.

The cover looks a lot like this:

10pcs-Plastic-Sealed-Humbucker-Pickup-Cover-Black.jpg

And I had mentioned my LP-100 overhaul. Here is a link to another forum which I am documenting my adventure.

ReFinishing My LP-100

Sign-up and vote on the new color!! (it might end up as another Goldtop!!)

Yup, I agree totaly, but in 2015 they ****ed up much more than only the LPJ series. But yeah it's sad, 15 LPM it's not the same anymore. I mean it is awesome what you get for this price, a nice sounding full equiped Les Paul or SG, Melody Makers and Jr.'s may be cool, you can call me crazy but personaly I prefere a two humbucker, two volume and two tone pot guitar.

Happy nu year to all club members....

Keep rocking ya J's!

Greetz Marcos

One lefty LPJ Cherry satin left at my local shop. I'm on the fence....I don't think I can justify a second LPJ. IF I can get some cash thru selling my other hobby's cache. I'll get that last LPJ and hide it away for a rainy day. (hide it so my wife doesn't murder me in my sleep)....

Archived