Gibson Brands Forums

your opinion J35 versus j15

kelly campbell

I'd vote for the J-15, but I've found the Martin D17M and the 000-15M to be impressive guitars in that price range as well. Or a used J-45 if your dream is to own a Gibson. Let your ears and personal comfort be your guide.

I agree just let your senses make the choice regardless of who's name is on it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd vote for the J-15, but I've found the Martin D17M and the 000-15M to be impressive guitars in that price range as well. Or a used J-45 if your dream is to own a Gibson. Let your ears and personal comfort be your guide.

Personally I find the J15 and J35 to more impressive than the Martin's in this price range. Compared to the D17M and 000-15M you get full gloss finish a true dovetail neck joint and a more traditional and sophisticated style of top bracing. To get equivalent features in a Martin you have to step up to the D-18 which last time I checked is at least $400 dollar more than the J35.

I agree with you on stylistic flourishes and make. However, I wouldn't discount the tone made by the Martins in this range. That is all I meant.

I've owned a 000-15, D16rgt, 00-15m and DM from Martins line. I dont discount them. If you are looking for the Martin tone they are a good entry point. I was in the market a year ago for a D15M with the burst and bought the J35 instead after playing them side by side. The J35 felt like a lifetime guitar and I found I prefer Gibson tone to Martin when I can only own one guitar.

Archived