Gibson Brands Forums

Remembering SRV (died on August 27, 1990)

rocketman

Wow. Didn't realize today was the anniversary. I do remember I was driving home from work when I heard the news on the radio. I actually pulled my car over to the side to let it sink in. [crying]

I'm glad I did get to see him live at a show along with Greg Allman in about 1987 or 88.

My Grandma form Mother's side had died exactly four weeks ago, and while driving home from work I heard about SRV's death on the radio. After arrival at home I put Davis Bowie's "Let's Dance" album on. I hardly dare saying this, but it still is the only record in my possession with SRV playing on it. [blush]

I'm not that into blues, but I had heard lots of his music before at the lead guitarist of one of my cover bands existing since 1986. He was and still is a great SRV fan and, by the way, a fantastic virtuoso on all kinds of guitars.

Ah, the man. The KING of the blues. R.I.P! One of my main and major influences. Sadly, I never got to see him play, since he died before I was born. [crying] Was born in 1992. My Dad, who's a drummer and was in several blues bands locally, is a BIG Stevie Ray head, as am I. I remember hearing and being introduced to Stevie at such a young age before I even started playing guitar and had a sense of music, even though I was very young when I started playing. I started playing at 8 years old and I'm 22, now. R.I.P to the KING of blues!

I remember the day well.

Early reports were a plane(turned out to be a chopper) went down.

The unconfirmed reports(around here) were that an aircraft went down and either Clapton or Stevie were on it.

I have to say,, all I was thinking, over and over,,,,was, don't be Stevie, don't be Stevie.

Not that I didn't like Clapton,, but he had already done so much. Stevie was still new.

Later that day it was confirmed.

Very happy I got to see him.

I wasn't even into his music. But I heard his Hendrix stuff so I went to see him play that stuff.

I was into Hendrix. Not Stevie.

I had seen a million people try and play Hendrix. Nobody could do it right.

Anyone can learn a Hendrix tune,, but very very few can pull it off.

And then this guy shows up,, not only does it justice, but throws in extra licks.

He was amazing.

Then came the SRV clones,,, which kinda ruined the Texas blues for me.

Anyway,, he was an amazing natural talent. Very happy I got to see him.

I hardly dare saying this, but it still is the only record in my possession with SRV playing on it. [blush]

And that's ok! You've got one album more than I do with SRV playing on it! :rolleyes:

I was never a fan—not really into Texas Blues—but I always knew he was a guitar powerhouse. I heard that Clapton, who was playing at the same show, could vey well have been on that helicopter, but for one reason or another, decided to stay put. Maybe it was one of those rumors, but... point is, could you imagine??? THAT would have been worse than the Holly-Valenz-Big Bopper tragedy!

I was lucky enough to have seen him live in 1989 during his "In Step" tour after he was clean and sober and he was simply sublime!

It was the best concert I ever saw!

It was at an outdoor venue in the summertime and nothing could have been better!

I cried when he died!

MONSTER guitar sound!!!

I feel blessed and fortunate to have been able to see him live!!!

Archived