Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 v. J-35 Questions

DukeMaclean

Hey there all. I've been looking to upgrade my acoustic. I'm looking for something that will do well with both fingerpicking and strumming, something that I can sing along with, and can plug in.

I began playing almost 25 years ago, but then, for around 15 years, didn't play much at all. Then, a year and a half ago I picked it up with abandon. Earlier, I had just jammed, by myself and with others. I had a revelation a couple years ago while playing "Sugar Mountain" with a couple of buddies: if you know the melody for 30 years, it's actually pretty easy to play and sing the tune. Now it's lots of Hank WIlliams, a little Dylan, Townes Van Zandt, easier Stones stuff. I have also begun working on some fingerpicking. I've got a fairly entry-level Alvarez that's been alright, but I am ready for something killer. I tried to keep an open mind as I began, to let the guitar choose me. Martins don't do much for me (except for a 000-16SGT, a slotted neck steel string little sweetheart). Played some Taylors and Guilds, a few arch tops and nylon-stringed guitars, too. I've become intrigued with Gibsons, and finally got to play a couple last weekend (I live a couple of hours from the nearest stores that carry 'em). The only J-45 I could play was a 1958, which is well out of my price range (in a pinch I could go up to 2,000), but I HAD to try one. Yeah, it was pretty nice. I also played a J-35, brand new. Now, I played the J-45 knowing that I wasn't going to be able to buy it, so that colored my perception of it. The J-35, I liked it a helluva lot. The weight, sound, and neck were all terrific. Still, I want to try a new J-45 (I'd also like to try a Songwriter, but I hear they're pretty heavy).

My question is this: I loved the neck on the J-35. How will the J-45 necks compare to it? I figure to be mostly looking at Standards, given my price range. How do the necks on the standards compare to, say, the TV? How about sound and weight?

One of the things that has drawn me to J-45 is hearing people say that they are playable. I want something that's kind of groovy and comfortable that I can play for hours.

First off - welcome to the Gibson Acoustic Forum.

Second - you had to go and play a sweet '58 J45, eh? Might have jaded your expectations a wee bit - :)

I have no observation as to the comparisons between the new j35 and the J45 necks, Other than drastically thin necks, I like them all just fine.

But, I will step out on a limb here, the few new J35s I've played for only brief periods, do not approach the level of enjoyment I get playing my 2009 J45 True Vintage with a big ol' side crack. My 2 cents? Start surfing couches for loose change, squirrel away every spare nickel you can, and then go on the hunt for a J45 TV.

They are so fun they should be illegal.

Well I own both...up till buying the J35 right after they came out I was a Martin guy D28 all the way and a D18. My J35 is on the bright side neck is comfy for my large size hands. I bought a J45 Custom just weeks ago. The sound is different from my J35 much more dry and woody not as bright a high end I give the nod to the J45 on the bass because of that dry woody sound. I love to strum the J45 and pick some bluegrass on it. The neck on my J45 custom is a tad thinner than the J35 but still feels good to me and has not been a problem. I use Martin medium lights on the J35 and Elixir Medium lights on the J45. If I were to keep one it would be the J45 I love the finish on mine and everything else really. I even plug it in once in awhile first acoustic I ever did that with. I like to finger pick the J45 plugged in. I by no means am an expert in any way about Gibsons there still new to me but a lot of experienced players here that know a heck of a lot more than me when it comes to these great acoustic guitars...I just love discovering them after a long time playing Martins.

I have a J 45 standard and a J 35. The J 35 is great and a great value, however it is not quite a J 45. I use my 35 in places/conditions that I wouldn't want my 45 exposed to. The neck on a 35 is quite a bit thicker than a 45 standard. The biggest difference between the two(other than finish and look) is how they are braced. A J 35 uses the advanced jumbo bracing pattern and the J 45 uses standard X bracing. The advanced jumbo bracing leaves the lower bout more open, so there is typically more base. The standard X bracing typically evens out the sound, or brings out the mids that J 45's are famous for. There is a great comparison video of these two guitars that Music Villa did, just search you tube for J 35 vs J 45 and it should pop up. Both are great guitars and you will probably eventually want both, as well as a TV 45, a Songwriter, a Hummingbird, J 200, etc..........

J35 is a great instrument.

You SHOULD try the new J15 too - a very good one, and the price is lower than the J35 and the sound is different.

But your question was J45 or J35...

And you asked a "killer" one

My personal advice: GET THE J45 !!!

If you really liked the J35 neck you might not be as comfortable with the J15 or J45 necks. The ones I tried seemed much shallower front to back and weren't as comfortable for me. The neck of the J35 was one of the things that really sold it for me over the J15 and J45 that I tried on the day I bought the J35.

I have a J 45 standard and a J 35. The J 35 is great and a great value, however it is not quite a J 45. I use my 35 in places/conditions that I wouldn't want my 45 exposed to. The neck on a 35 is quite a bit thicker than a 45 standard. The biggest difference between the two(other than finish and look) is how they are braced. A J 35 uses the advanced jumbo bracing pattern and the J 45 uses standard X bracing. The advanced jumbo bracing leaves the lower bout more open, so there is typically more base. The standard X bracing typically evens out the sound, or brings out the mids that J 45's are famous for. There is a great comparison video of these two guitars that Music Villa did, just search you tube for J 35 vs J 45 and it should pop up. Both are great guitars and you will probably eventually want both, as well as a TV 45, a Songwriter, a Hummingbird, J 200, etc..........

This. Once you get past opinions, and everyone has a right to one, and examine the substantive differences between the 45 and the 35 that have a chance of making a significant impact on tone, bracing is it. All other things being equal, that forward-shifted bracing in the 35 should make at bit louder, particularly in the bottom end; whether or not that's better is up to your ears. Of course, wood being organic, unpredictable stuff, all other things aren't necessarily equal, but there doesn't appear to be any difference in workmanship and attention to detail between the models at all. On the merits, the J-35/45 comparison is a great case to debunk "you get what you pay for," unless you think the paint is worth all that money. Personally, I love the paint. But I also love the forward-shifted bracing.

P

Thanks for the feedback folks. I went back and tried the J-35 again. Still nice, and I walked out empty-handed. It sounds great, way louder and brighter than my Alvarez dread (which is fairly entry-level). And the price is especially nice. If I get a J-45, I think that I would want more than just the Standard, and they get pretty dear pretty fast, so I'd have to push the purchase back a good six months or so. I'm also constrained by an inability to try a decent range of them.

However, there appears to be a flaw on the one that I was playing. I happened to sight it, from the bottom towards the neck, and noticed that the bridge is uneven: the half over which the high strings pass, the wood seems to have been ground down, so it's half the thickness of the other side. Is this a common occurrence? Would you all reckon this is something to avoid?

The different bracing has already been pointed out so I'm not gonna comment on that other than to say I prefer the j45 sound. In regards to J45 vs J45TV I love the aesthetics of the TV but given as every guitar is different I strongly urge you to try a bunch of standards and TVs to see which one speaks to you. My two cents.

The magic guitar is the one that fits you the instant you hold it to begin playing, then plays for you flawlessly. The weakness comes with whether strings and setup also "fit."

We cannot hear an acoustic instrument from behind it. Our technique affects the "tone" as well.

And there are other indefinable things on an instrument as well.

The guitar in my avatar sat in a case literally for roughly 25 years with "wrong" strings on it. I tended to blame the guitar when I put it in the case and into the closet.

I didn't care for it at all but something, don't ask what because I have no answer, made me keep it.

A switch of strings and... she sings for me and caresses my hands as much as I caress her strings.

m

Archived