Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Preparing To Raise Prices Again?

sixstrings

The new Gibson website is integrating the Epiphone Les Pauls now. I don't like the way it's looking. It reminds me of when Fender started raising their prices sky high and pushing those Mexican made standards. It seems like Gibson is setting themselves up to raise prices AGAIN and that sucks. As if they're not already too expensive.

Seems like Gibson is starting to say "well if you can't afford our $3000 Les Paul standards you can settle for our line of Epiphones Les Paul copies."

I'm sorry, no offense to any Epiphone owners, but I've compared a lot of Epiphone Les Pauls to the standard, classic and traditionals and they just don't add up. The hell if I'm going to pay premium prices for Epiphones just because I can't afford the new prices for Gibsons.

They're going to raise the price of Epiphones and they will raise the price of Gibsons to even more ridiculous levels. Man when are these guitar companies going to give people a break? This isn't the year to be raising prices.

As long as people keep paying the prices, manufacturers will continue raising them.

The new Gibson website is integrating the Epiphone Les Pauls now. I don't like the way it's looking. It reminds me of when Fender started raising their prices sky high and pushing those Mexican made standards. It seems like Gibson is setting themselves up to raise prices AGAIN and that sucks. As if they're not already too expensive.

Seems like Gibson is starting to say "well if you can't afford our $3000 Les Paul standards you can settle for our line of Epiphones Les Paul copies."

I'm sorry' date=' no offense to any Epiphone owners, but I've compared a lot of Epiphone Les Pauls to the standard, classic and traditionals and they just don't add up. The hell if I'm going to pay premium prices for Epiphones just because I can't afford the new prices for Gibsons.

They're going to raise the price of Epiphones and they will raise the price of Gibsons to even more ridiculous levels. Man when are these guitar companies going to give people a break? This isn't the year to be raising prices.

As long as people keep paying the prices, manufacturers will continue raising them.[/quote']

Buy used. Thats what I will be doing from here on out. It's a win win situation. I don't have to be the one to put the first ding in the guitar and it saves me money. Screw Gibson and their price increases. #-o Sorry, but someone needed to say it. :)

Then again, if Epiphone sucks today, it's Gibson's fault too.

Epiphone was never supposed to craft Les Pauls, SGs, Vees, and all that Gibson stuff. Epiphone was a proud company and had their original models. They were doing an honest job and from time to time beating the hell out of gibson sales.

Gibson bought Epi and scr*wed it good.

prices are crazy at the moment, last christmas i aquired myself a worn cherry les paul studio (like the vintage mahogany but without the bb's and mahog cap) and paid £650 (£100 more than everywhere else but the only ones left with a case) 2 weeks later they brought in the vintage mahogany for £550 then dropped the price to £438, now it is for sale at £680 ish, absolute madness!! Thankgod i got my faded standard when i did cos i think itl be hard to get a decent les paul for less than £1300-£1600, an i thought they were gonna get cheaper, silly.

That said though i know everyones down on epiphones but despite the differences in feel/sound i think theyre a bargain, my last epiphone les paul was a beaut and well worth the £260 it cost me, just once your used to a gibson its hard to go back, but anyone who is a casual player/tinkerer as opposed to a full-time musician whose livelihood depends on their instruments, an epiphone is adequate if not a more sensible choice.

Still, i gotta admit that its so refreshing to see a proper gibby headstock an not some awful epiphone/kay/encore recreation, aesthetics huh thank god i aint like this with clothes!

Buy used. Yeah site unseen is a bit risky but even the big box return policy is dicey on having time to evauluate a guitar. If you buy used you know that you can prob get your money back on a resale. Buy new and you'll lose money on a resale.

I saved almost $600 buying my classic slightly used rather than from GC. Well worth it in my opinion. And hopefully Gibson will get the message and lower their damn prices.

Well, yes. They're getting more expensive.

I bought an ES-335 satin finish out of guitar center in january 2006. It was 1.999.00 dlrs.

Right now that same guitar is selling in 2,249.00 dlrs.

250 dollars more in two years. 12% more in these models.

For the financial reality of an average wedge, if you are still lucky affording one (wedge) it's kind of unkind.

BFG's in Canada jumped up $250 and studio's $3-400 recently. I'm glad I bought when I did now :D/

It seems to be proportional to price ~ for every $1000 = $250 price increase... The guitar I bought at $2500 is now listing for $3400

How much is a lifetime instrument to me? PRICELESS

However, that does not give manufacturers the right to charge you an arm and a leg. Does anyone know the rough cost for Gibson to create a Les Paul?

$3000 LP Standards are outrageous. I think $2700 is high and I remember them being $2400+ not too long ago.

I paid $3200 for my 2007 LP Supreme when it was new and I wouldn't wish anyone to pay a penny more than that for a non-custom model. If you're getting the top of the line, sure, $3000, BUT NO MORE, THAT'S IT!!

If we're seeing $3000 LP Standards hit the market, then the Supreme could very well push upper 3's or even $4000....

I bought my 360 12-string in Fireglo after Rickenbacker recently raised their prices. I'm not happy about that either!

I shelled out $2675 for that beauty....

I think it's always a good thing to shop around too. When I was looking for a Premium Plus, at the time the cheapest I found it was $3,000 (both on the web and at GC). I then drove 60 miles to the famous HOG in Rochester and they sold me a brand new one that they ordered from Gibson for $2,100. I just could not believe the difference in price. So shopping around can help.

Man Gibson needs to start rethinking their pricing plans because if they don't lower prices soon this is the direction I'm headed:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/isa/images/full/cs6s-tigereyeflame-98629.jpg

http://www.carvinguitars.com/isa/images/full/cs6s-fds6-93740.jpg

These guys are no joke either. I have played their stuff before and it's absolutely top notch. As much as I have come to love Gibson guitars man, Gibson is making it very hard to continue loving them. I would still buy Gibson pickups though, but probably not new because they're going for like $125 each and I hear the prices are going up on those too.

Does anyone know the rough cost for Gibson to create a Les Paul?

$200 for high quality material, give or take...can't be more.

It's on hiatus, but I'm building a Jr. I'm using the neck from my Epi. LP Jr. and the rest is all new.

An Ash body cost me $30, I checked around eBay and all the hardware is going to run me around $60.

Add $40 if f I did have to buy a neck.

BUY USED -- Gibsons are horrendously overpriced and have been for years. I love the feel and sound and look of my Gibsons, and I bought all but one used (and the ONLY reason for that one was because Music Rising helped with the outrageous price). Gibson's price points are a joke. I play Gibsons because I like the feel, sound, and look but I have no loyalty to a corporation... if I ever buy another new guitar (unlikely) it will NOT be a Gibson.

$200 for high quality material' date=' give or take...can't be more.

It's on hiatus, but I'm building a Jr. I'm using the neck from my Epi. LP Jr. and the rest is all new.

An Ash body cost me $30, I checked around eBay and all the hardware is going to run me around $60.

Add $40 if f I did have to buy a neck. [/quote']

AND there is the fact that those guys buy things in HUGE amounts. It cheapens things even further. I don't have a clue on how much a LP costs, given there are employees to pay, health care, guitars being given every day...

And I'm a psychologist, I know nothing about production costs =)

And if the quality was as high as the prices...

Finding an expensive gibson is much easier than finding a perfect one. I only bought four gibsons new in almost 20 years, but they all had faults in craftmanship. Thanks to the very good guitarshop in our area they were repaired quickly and on gibsons costs. But they´ve always been expensive and gibson should do better than that - or cheaper! But I have to admit that I still like gibson best. Besides one Mexico Fender and one National all my guitars (4 at the moment) are gibsons.

Kurt

Man Gibson needs to start rethinking their pricing plans because if they don't lower prices soon this is the direction I'm headed:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/isa/images/full/cs6s-tigereyeflame-98629.jpg

http://www.carvinguitars.com/isa/images/full/cs6s-fds6-93740.jpg

Sixstrings,

I tried one of those out last year when looking for my LP. (I went out of my way to schedule a layover in the OC.) They are damn nice guitars. However, lots of people seem to ding Carvin for their electronics. However, you can get exactly what you want from Carvin. If you are thinking of a new Standard, I would recommend it.

I ended up buying an R8. I couldn't find a non-Gibson that came close to the sound. The other Gibson LPs don't either. (I won't be buying any LP Standards myself...)

-Brad

I have purchased half of my Gibson's used, that or I want for a great sale and then buy them. I got a LP VM brand new for $579 from MF two months ago. Now they are $999... granted it was on sale and had a rebate but you got to read the fine print, you can score great deals if you take the time. I know most would be against buying online but if its a dud return it, it happens... it can happen in the store. I have had GC dig me out a brand new guitar from their back room straight from Gibson that was crap... after all they all are shipped somewhere. It's a chance to take but it can work out and sometimes it doesn't.

Archived