Gibson Brands Forums

The perennial question: what have I got here?

Idaho

Hi -

I've posted on April 28th and May 3rd on this topic, but I didn't have the guitar in my hands then. I do now. Just today I got back from picking it up.

I recently inherited a vintage Gibson 6 string small-body guitar. It is a 12 fret instrument with a tobacco sunburst finish. It has no pick guard, but it does have an aftermarket tailpiece. Both the top and back are bound with ivoroid. The truss rod cover is not bordered in white. Both the top and the back appear to be made from single pieces of wood rather than two book matched pieces. Its dimensions are:

Width at lower bout: 14 3/4"

Width at upper bout: 10 3/4"

Nut to bridge length: 24 3/4"

Body length: 19 1/4"

Top of headstock to strap pin: 38 "

Nut to 20th fret: 17 "

Nut to bridge: 24 3/4"

Low E to high E at nut: 1 1/2"

Low E to high E at saddle: 2 1/4"

Body depth at neck end: 3 5/16"

Body depth at strap pin: 4 1/4"

Saddle: 5 7/8" X 7/8"

Bridge length: 3 1/4"

Sound hole diameter 4 "

There are no numbers stamped into the back of the headstock and no paper label inside the body. The top is fan braced. On the neck block there are some ink stamped characters, very faint and not clearly legible. It looks like: H595. The "H" and the "9" are probably right but not really clear - the "5"s are pretty certain. Those are the only characters present on the instrument. It came with what looks to be an original case and four bridge pins. It has the typical open tuning machines mounted to two straps of metal, one for each side of the headstock.

It's obvious the bridge became separated from the top at some point in the past and the tailpiece was added. The bridge was re-glued and is now firm, with good geometry - the intonation is right on.

The tone is just amazing: it has a great voice with clear treble, midtones and bass plus exceptional volume. Especially nice if finger picked.

Pics attached, but even with resizing I can only get two of them to upload before my picture quota is exceeded.

The value is not really important to me, although an estimate would be interesting - I intend to keep it and play it.

Two questions:

(1) do you guys typically leave your vintage guitars with tension on the strings between playing sessions?

(2) what do you use to clean up minor smudges and built up grime off the finish of a vintage guitar?

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

Bruce Thomas

post-65008-006533600 1409701546_thumb.jpg

post-65008-071503100 1409701567_thumb.jpg

It is an L1, 9595 built in 1930. I can't see the bridge well enough to see if it is original. The tailpiece an afterthought common on older guitars with loose bridges. Nice guitars. Considered to be one of Gibsons finest.

These are very nice guitars in demand by players. I can not see if the bridge is correct.

Terry

It is an L1, 9595 built in 1930. I can't see the bridge well enough to see if it is original. The tailpiece an afterthought common on older guitars with loose bridges. Nice guitars. Considered to be one of Gibsons finest.

These are very nice guitars in demand by players. I can not see if the bridge is correct.

Terry

Hi, Terry, and thanks for the info.

I've posted much bigger and better pics of the guitar here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/idaho_man/sets/72157646782682439/

If you could take a look at the bridge and advise if it's original, that would be helpful.

Regards,

Bruce

Yes, the bridge is correct. I would get to a competent repair person. They can assess the neck angle, look for loose braces, check the bridge glue etc. Get it playable without the tailpiece. The L1 12 fret is a desirable guitar in the Gibson community. Many consider them to be the best of the small body variants. You have a great player or a nice guitar to sell.

Terry

Archived