Differnce between two studio models

billysgtr

Hello there,

Can anyone find the difference between these two models:

1st (795 euro)

Guitar 1

2nd (885 euro)

Guitar 2

..except for the gold and chromium parts! Are these the only things why the 1st is cheaper than the 2nd?

Thanks,

Bill

The gold hardware will definitely put the price up on a Studio model, Bill. The models are otherwise identical in specification. Some finishes like sunbursts can put costs up on instruments sometimes; things like this and the gold hardware are the luxury extra features.

Hope this helps.

The gold hardware will definitely put the price up on a Studio model, Bill. The models are otherwise identical in specification. Some finishes like sunbursts can put costs up on instruments sometimes; things like this and the gold hardware are the luxury extra features.

Hope this helps.

TM_Fisher

Thanks for the immediate response.

Do you think it is worth paying extra for the more expensive one? Is there any difference in the tone/sound or it is only about the gold prestige?

TM_Fisher

Do you think it is worth paying extra for the more expensive one? Is there any difference in the tone/sound or it is only about the gold prestige?

The only way to know the differences in sound/tone/feel is to play them. On paper, they appear to be similar, one just has a little more bling than the other

Edit: regarding whether it's worth it for the extra money... the question is, is it worth it to YOU??

TM_Fisher

The only way to know the differences in sound/tone/feel is to play them. On paper, they appear to be similar, one just has a little more bling than the other

Edit: regarding whether it's worth it for the extra money... the question is, is it worth it to YOU??

Agreed; it's a subjective thing with guitar playing. It's the one that feels right in your hands! What might be a more expensive feature wouldn't be the reason I go for a guitar. You could sit in a store for hours playing dozens, from guitars worth 500 to 5000; but the one that has value is the one that plays right to you.

I'd recommend going to a store and playing both, and others, and find which one is good for you, mate.

Hope this helps.

Yes, burst finishes take more effort, and in case the top is selected for looks, this will cost, too.

Agreed; it's a subjective thing with guitar playing. It's the one that feels right in your hands! What might be a more expensive feature wouldn't be the reason I go for a guitar. You could sit in a store for hours playing dozens, from guitars worth 500 to 5000; but the one that has value is the one that plays right to you.

I'd recommend going to a store and playing both, and others, and find which one is good for you, mate.

Can confirm that, but as odd as it may appear, I had bought all the guitars I returned in person, and stayed with all of those I had ordered via web, at Thomann as well as elsewhere.

By the way, I prefer chrome hardware due to its shiny appearance lasting for decades, and for looks I would prefer this one:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_studio_2013_wr_ch.htm?sid=9e5099119e54a16e06fbd616ccad11d9

6652351_800.jpg

But this is just me... [rolleyes]

I spent at least 6 hours over the last week, trying out more than a dozen Epiphone and Gibson Les Pauls. I asked a ton of questions and yeah there's several models, that are exactly the same, with the exception of the bling. I noticed the LPs with the Grovers (except for some the classic reissues - $$$), we're typically $300 more. There were other differences to, finishes, electronics in some... but the bling was always the overriding factor in price.

The ones with gold hardware, started at close/over a couple grand in price. I'm more than satisfied/happy with my chrome hardware, though it still came in well over a grand (yeah, I know... midline for a LP). :D

capmaster: that LP is gorgeous!

TM_Fisher thanks for the reply again.

I totally agree with you, but here in Greece it is not possible. If you are lucky you will find only 3 or 4 pieces of the specific guitar brand(I mean the whole gibson family) in a store. So I don't dare to think that I will find both models , since no store here would buy both. The most likely scenario is to find one of each category...and I mean money category. You will find the mentioned model for 1100 euros. Then the next choice would be a gibson for 2000 euros or something like that.

So it is impossible to find out the differences by playing them. It would be great if we had such stores. That's why I am asking information.

Archived