Gibson Brands Forums

MIC sherry 2 no kerfing?

burchster

Was looking into the f hole of my sunburst sherry 2 today and noticed there was no kerfing where top and bottom meet the sides. Upon looking into my ebony one (both made in 2013) it has it. As does both my 62/50s and 335 pro. Is this normal? Will it effect durability at all?

I've had '03 & '04 Sheratons from the Korean Saien factory that did not have the kerfed lining, and currently own a Valensi Riviera made in 2010 by the Korean Unsung factory without the lining. It would not be considered ideal from a traditional build quality standpoint, but I've never heard of one failing.

Intrigued, I just checked my 04 unsung Korea Sheri 2 and 11 Chinese dot studio.... No kerfing. Question is, if it's structurally ok without it why would they add it to some but not others? Surely with how company's cut costs if it didn't need to be there it wouldn't be on any guitar?

Was looking into the f hole of my sunburst sherry 2 today and noticed there was no kerfing where top and bottom meet the sides. Upon looking into my ebony one (both made in 2013) it has it. As does both my 62/50s and 335 pro. Is this normal? Will it effect durability at all?

They probably used thicker rims instead kerfing on that sunburst Sheraton. All my Epis have kerfing, but my Duesenbergs have not. Instead they have rims as thick as the Epi rims plus kerfing. So I guess this kind of build with thicker rims will even improve stability.

Archived