Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Strings

Priority Four

That's annoying in case one has no more spare strings, but I heard several times it had happened to pals of mine. Until now I have been lucky in this respect.

Accidentally there are rattling wound wires calling for immediate replacement of a new wound string. This had happened to me, too, but I may be the one to blame. Possibly I overstretched them during stringing which caused the winding to go loose after tension release.

Having some more spare sets at hand is always a good idea. Fortunately I always had.

That is strange….I've never had them send the wrong stings in a set before, but have had strings break right out of the box, and have had wound strings go loose like explained above…..always good to have a few extras around just in case…..Contact the Manufacturer, and they will probably send you the missing string free of charge….

That is strange….I've never had them send the wrong stings in a set before, but have had strings break right out of the box, and have had wound strings go loose like explained above…..always good to have a few extras around just in case…..Contact the Manufacturer, and they will probably send you the missing string free of charge….

When I was in college (a lifetime ago), you could buy single strings for about 50 cents. This was when a set of Martin Monels cost about $2, and they were about the most expensive around. I always bought extra B strings, as I broke them pretty regularly. Even today, I have to force myself to throw away the old strings I take off when changing strings.

Weren't no fancy coated strings back then......

Accidentally there are rattling wound wires calling for immediate replacement of a new wound string. This had happened to me, too, but I may be the one to blame. Possibly I overstretched them during stringing which caused the winding to go loose after tension release.

Were those wound on round cores? You can not cut those until they are strung up or bent in someway to keep them from unwinding.

Archived