Gibson Brands Forums

I just don't get it??!!!

onewilyfool

My Buddy is a collector…usually Vintage guitars, and he tells me that a re-finished vintage guitar is worth about 50% of what an original finish guitar…even if the original finish is crap!!…lol…I just don't get it. Often, these refinished guitars have have the neck reset, maybe new fretboard and frets, repaired cracks, often looking brand new and ready for another 75-100 years???, and THAT guitar is worth 50% of what an original vintage guitar that needs $1200 worth of repairs is worth twice as much??? I mean in the so called "Vintage" or antique car business, where they do a full body off restoration of a '40's Ford, for example, that car would fetch WAY more than an original finish '40's Ford needing engine rebuild, new upholstery, etc., etc.! Why are vintage guitars collectors so anal??? If I had the choice between the two, I would take the restored and repaired guitar every time, and especially enjoy the %50 price reduction for a clearly superior product…lol…just makes me laugh!!

In my opinion, this is the very point of view from a collector's sight. As a player I wouldn't get this, too, but at least I could get a very playable vintage guitar at half the price. Not bad at all from a player's attitude. [biggrin]

We probably need Tom B. to explain to us! I fall into the 'player guitar buyer', but I really wouldn't know the difference because I haven't played the original.

From what I have read (on forums), it matters who did the refinish.......wouldn't the too much sanding take away some tone along with the wood?

BluesKing777.

I wouldn't dream of trying to explain to anyone WHY I wouldn't be interested in a refinished guitar. I couldn't give a LOGICAL explanation so I guess it's one of those things where "if you have to ask, you'll never understand".

And I mean that in the nicest way, not sticking it in anyone's face.

I think in my own brain there is a picture of an old guitar with normal wear and tear, and some yahoo slathers Zip Strip all over it and varnishes it with the finest camel hair brush. I get a chill.

I love patina. It shows that it's been loved, like an old leather jacket.

George Gruhn once said (paraphrased) "The only guitar that should be refinished is one that has already been refinished badly."

I love patina. It shows that it's been loved, like an old leather jacket.

George Gruhn once said (paraphrased) "The only guitar that should be refinished is one that has already been refinished badly."

Ha Ha!

That needs to be a poster and framed, KS!

Thanks for that line - I have already started spreading it!

I think of my old man and the Boss's old man - they both looked at my L-0 and you could see the cogs going, and though they are very, very different people, they both offered to give the Gibson a paint job! Run screaming in horror! Could not for the life of them imagine why anyone would pay 'good money' for that guitar!

BluesKing777.

I agree with ksdaddy up to a point, although a refinish isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me if the guitar sounded good enough. If you don't have the highest of incomes accepting issues such as refinishes is often a route into the more desirable vintage pieces that would be beyond my means at their typical value.

The guitar market seems to have a double tier, with players who want vintage instruments because they believe them to be the best sounding examples happy to accept modified and repaired instruments and collectors who want the mint in box thing, with the slightest change devaluing the instrument. Of course, those in the former cagegory have to buy with an eye on resale, so they play by the same rules as the collectors and avoid anything that compromises the instrument. There are exceptions - for some a '52 Les Paul converted to a burst with original parts and PAFs would conceivably have the same value as an unmolested original '52 with its P90s and funky tailpiece - but for the most part guitars remain into the antiques and collectables mentality.

I suppose a difference between cars and guitars is that we recognise on a guitar that the tone is influenced by numerous subtle things - and if we hold up a vintage guitar as a perfect example of great design, we need to be able to look at finish and top thickness as intended. The more changes, the less we can conclude about the original design.

I have an issue or two with the 50% rule when it comes to refinishes. For a start, nobody has told any of the big dealers, since most I see are more like 2/3rds. But also it suggests that all refinishes are equal when they're clearly not. A '30s Gibson or Martin returned to the factory twenty years later for a refinish and with over half a century of patina built up is surely worth a lot more than an amateurishly stripped guitar with a thinned top and brushed on varnish - in fact, the former would be no problem for me and the latter a total deal breaker. Yet, since the advent of internet forums, someone mentions refinish or and there's a queue of experts saying 'that's 50% off then' before there's been any discussion of the nature of the work. The reality is a quality refinish might devalue it by 30-40%, where as a poor refinish that significantly thinned the top might devalue it to the point of being worthless. Same goes for neck breaks whilst we're at it.

A very interesting and in some ways, contentious topic... <_<

Depending on the instrument IMO there can be logic or no logic in setting a value or selling price for a 'vintage' guitar...

A Stradivarius violin would be worth £M's unrestored and £M's restored...probably little difference either way... :blink:

A bit like the property market...there are dealers skilled in 'talking up' selling prices related to location and condition

For obvious reasons, an unrestored heavily used guitar pre-owned by J Hendrix or P Townsend would have it's own hyped 'value'...

Knowing the market is the key

There are bargains to be had... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

And just for fun, let's throw in an EXTREME example just to rile the waters. Here we have a late 60s Gretsch Anniversary that, if it were in "average clean for the year" condition might have a tag of $2K. Maybe not even that much, given that it's sunburst and they don't generally bring as much as the two tone green. So obviously this has gone through something horrible, be it a wet cellar, temp extremes, whatever. It's not "Willie Nelson Wear", it's something catastrophic.

The tag is $1775.

The seller is tapping into the segment of the market who will pay stupid for patina. And someone will buy it. Would I like to own it? Oh you BET I would.... for $800 or less.

This is a perfect example of a guitar that would not be worth the money and time to "restore". About the time you paid someone to replicate the sunburst and assuming they did an on-point perfect job, it would then be worth 50-75% of an original one. THIS would be the perfect chance to fulfill some weird fantasy for a Gretsch with the Union Jack painted on it without ruining something that someone wants to put in a glass case.

$_57.JPG

I like old guitars. Not necessarily better than brand new ones, but old ones do have some history and character to them. That said, I don't like old guitars enough to pay thousands for them. I understand the sentimentality, but they're still old guitars. I don't care who owned it or played it while writing whatever song. It's still an old guitar and from my guitar player's perspective it's not as good of a buy as a new one.

I think OWF has hit on just one of the reasons the vintage and even used guitar markets are so soft these days... 6-7 years ago any POS vintage guitar would sell for thousands and guys would brag about their $20K commissioned custom well know Luthier guitars...well people have now realized a little regarding the value of money and we no longer are impressed with someone shelling our thousands and even tens of thousands on vintage and high end custom small maker guitars. Now when AGF posters brag about spending $10K or $20K on custom or vintage instruments ...these days those guys just look like fools...

Some of my 'player models'...

(I have a new version of each and....not one thing the same really!)

Threes-01_zps7ff7aa47.jpg

And most of the vintage rules broken by the guy that owned this (poor thing is still at the luthiers getting its neck ripped around - the neck will have a new fretboard and after playing a bit, all going well, I may get the headstock restored to a black with white Gibson 30s logo - I can do what ever I want with this one!):

L-0neck01c_zps5e67ec63.jpg

BluesKing777.

Ha ho ho!

Here's something you don't here with the new J45s and D28s and...

I try to rotate around my guitars to keep them happy, and I was picking 'Make Me A Pallet On Your Floor' (M John Hurt version) on the black Gibson L50 pictured above and guess what?

I got a splinter off the back of the neck! A splinter!

Back to it.

BluesKing777.

Ha ho ho!

I try to rotate around my guitars to keep them happy, and I was picking 'Make Me A Pallet On Your Floor' (M John Hurt version) on the black Gibson L50 pictured above and guess what?

Back to it.

BluesKing777.

Some song lyrics are captious in one or another way. [unsure]

Ha ho ho!

Back to it.

BluesKing777.

False alarm, sorry!

After a closer inspection of my hand with the old reading glasses ON, it wasn't a splinter injury, but a rough callous cracking and rubbing against a probable capo dent on the back of the (big) V neck!

I was also meaning to say I need a vintage Martin to round out the available tones I have with the guitars pictured above! Unfortunately, the old Martins don't fall under the budget - a 00-17 from 1956 I looked at is $3595 US (plus travel). Ha ha ha, I prefer a slightly larger guitar.....whoops, there goes the rubber tree....etc.

It doesn't matter, I am enjoying experimenting with these different guitars Immensely! And they are all from my giving up smokes! I have mentioned before that to encourage myself to give up, I promised myself to spend the money saved on guitars, and guitar stuff! Wow! I DID it, but it was incredibly hard.......

BluesKing777.

False alarm, sorry!

After a closer inspection of my hand with the old reading glasses ON, it wasn't a splinter injury, but a rough callous cracking and rubbing against a probable capo dent on the back of the (big) V neck!

I was also meaning to say I need a vintage Martin to round out the available tones I have with the guitars pictured above! Unfortunately, the old Martins don't fall under the budget - a 00-17 from 1956 I looked at is $3595 US (plus travel). Ha ha ha, I prefer a slightly larger guitar.....whoops, there goes the rubber tree....etc.

It doesn't matter, I am enjoying experimenting with these different guitars Immensely! And they are all from my giving up smokes! I have mentioned before that to encourage myself to give up, I promised myself to spend the money saved on guitars, and guitar stuff! Wow! I DID it, but it was incredibly hard.......

BluesKing777.

What was hard - giving up smoking, or spending the saved money on guitars? [rolleyes] ;)

As for your injury, did you consider it may have been the song lyrics themselves, not the guitar? :-k

What was hard - giving up smoking, or spending the saved money on guitars? [rolleyes] ;)

As for your injury, did you consider it may have been the song lyrics themselves, not the guitar? :-k

Smoking, CapM!

Losing them is easily one of the hardest things I have done - I had a nasty reaction to the nicotine patches too.

Waiting for guitar deliveries hasn't been my best behavioural moments! [biggrin] .......but I made it through...

BluesKing777.

What I DON'T get is why someone would pay an outrageous price for a factory aged guitar.

Guitars are interesting beasts. Utility tool first, or artistic piece first? It can of course depend on the instrument, but for me, it's almost always a complex blend of both worlds.

However, to fake wear & tear on a new guitar (in order to give it a vintage look) is something I personally consider a huge turn off.

That said, others might very well argue the value of the artistic endeavor, but it doesn't work for me!

Smoking, CapM!

Losing them is easily one of the hardest things I have done - I had a nasty reaction to the nicotine patches too.

Waiting for guitar deliveries hasn't been my best behavioural moments! [biggrin] .......but I made it through...

BluesKing777.

=D> =D> =D>[thumbup]

Archived