Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone here with a Genz Benz Black Pearl?

paitken76

I just recently purchased one after trying ALL sorts of amps for almost an hour each over a few weeks looking for the perfect clean tone I could get. This was it. Money. Priceless. Incredible. It's a single channel amp meant to be well.. clean or bluesy with great gnarly bite. Superb. You can however get lush distorted tones from it as well, way better than any overdrive pedal I've ever used or tried. What I trying to figure out is how to get the same great clean tone I like and the lush tube overdrive tone from it without having to buy another one! While it is a single channel amp it has a boost pedal that I've been using mostly as a volume pedal. I've tried to find a way to use it to get me from clean to lush distortion but havent had any luck. If any of you have one would you mind sharing your experiences with it and your settings? And if you haven't go try one out. You will not be disappointed in the slightest. Promise! (if you mostly play hard rock / metal check out their El Diablo model. I used to play through one when I played heavier stuff years back and.... WOW! You'll see.)

Thank you kindly :D

Even though my amp has two channels, I use just the clean channel as the dirty channel sounds pretty crappy, IMO. What I do is set the gain on the clean channel so that it's still pretty clean and then switch on a boost pedal to slam the preamp when I want it dirty.

I use an Analogman King of Tone that is set to be just a hair dirty but mostly boosting volume and I bump up the mids a bit; that works for me. Presumably, you're using the same settings on the amp whether running it clean or dirty and just turning up the gain control to dirty it up so, if that is the case, you probably want a fairly transparent clean boost pedal for that sort of application. For that, I recommend the Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso; it's not totally flat and adds a touch of low end to your sound but it's the most neutral sounding clean boost I've found. Check out the video on the right with the old style red box to get a good idea of what I'm talking about.

Archived