Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Gibson SG

KAAG

Hello

I have recently acquired this lovely old SG but am having trouble trying to identify which model it is. The serial number is 612464 and has Made in USA stamped underneath.It has had another pick guard fitted as can be seen in the photos. This serial number suggests that it was made at Kalamazoo in 1979. I would appreciate it very much for any information.

Regards

Kim

post-67378-010751000 1410061043_thumb.jpg

post-67378-065660500 1410061061_thumb.jpg

post-67378-036268700 1410061091_thumb.jpg

post-67378-029755600 1410061510_thumb.jpg

post-67378-020173100 1410061526_thumb.jpg

I don't believe that serial number is consistent with a 1979 guitar from Kalamazoo, it should have eight digits not six. Also, I have never seen a SG with a control knob setup like yours has. Most two pick up models have four knobs and they are mounted on the front of the guitar and you access them through a plate on the back not the front. Parts of the Guitar look authentic to maybe a 1974 SG Special, but I have never seen a total package like yours.

It almost looks like it started off life as an early 70s SG100:

p1_ulx30nhx5_so.jpg

The SG200 was similar but note how much bigger the control plate was:

p1_u5lpfcylo_ss.jpg

My guess is that someone tried to convert this into more of an SG Standard at some point.

I agree. This looks to be a modded SG-100 from the early 70's. If either one of the pots are original we should be able to narrow a year by the pot codes.

I agree. This looks to be a modded SG-100 from the early 70's. If either one of the pots are original we should be able to narrow a year by the pot codes.

Hi Thanks for having a look at my SG...something. I also thought that it was an SG 100 however they have a black head stock and this one has a natural timber color. As for the pots they are DiMarzio's with serial number 5639120. DiMarzio have indicated that the number doesn't relate to any dating codes.......... The Volume/Tone plate certainly looks like a SG200. As there is only a six digit serial number I did read in the Blue Book of Guitars that the Kalamazoo plant did not switch over to the eight digit system until 1978 or 79. The pickups are dated September 25 1979. The closest that I have come to identify this "old girl" is that it may be a type of "The SG" from 79 as the head stock is identical. Hard to tell what it is.........at least it plays well.Kim.

post-67378-042356800 1410251737_thumb.jpg

Hi Thanks for having a look at my SG...something. I also thought that it was an SG 100 however they have a black head stock and this one has a natural timber color. As for the pots they are DiMarzio's with serial number 5639120. DiMarzio have indicated that the number doesn't relate to any dating codes.......... The Volume/Tone plate certainly looks like a SG200. As there is only a six digit serial number I did read in the Blue Book of Guitars that the Kalamazoo plant did not switch over to the eight digit system until 1978 or 79. The pickups are dated September 25 1979. The closest that I have come to identify this "old girl" is that it may be a type of "The SG" from 79 as the head stock is identical. Hard to tell what it is.........at least it plays well.Kim.

Dimarzio made pots? The date codes on CTS pots start with 137. The next two digits are the year followed by the week. A pot from the 15th week of 1974 would read 1377415. Check again.

Those pickups were probably not original to that guitar. They look like Shaws, made at Gibson starting around 1979, they almost all had dates stamped on them and, in your case, won't help you date your guitar. Those pups might be worth more than the whole guitar. The serial suggests yours was made in the early 70's. It has clearly been modded by someone after it left the factory.

Dimarzio made pots? The date codes on CTS pots start with 137. The next two digits are the year followed by the week. A pot from the 15th week of 1974 would read 1377415. Check again.

Those pickups were probably not original to that guitar. They look like Shaws, made at Gibson starting around 1979, they almost all had dates stamped on them and, in your case, won't help you date your guitar. Those pups might be worth more than the whole guitar. The serial suggests yours was made in the early 70's. It has clearly been modded by someone after it left the factory.

Hello Chris

I have attached a somewhat blurry photo of the pots but they are definitely DiMarzio's. The 250K pot has the number 5639120 and the 500K pot has 563???? as there is some solder over the rest of the numbers.

Regards

Kim

post-67378-089156200 1410419258_thumb.jpg

SG 100

They did not all have black head stocks. Here's a link to the 1972 Gibson catalog.

Thanks for that link. It shows the dimensions of an SG 100. I checked mine over and it is a match. So this "old girl" started out as a 1971 SG 100 and had a major upgrade later on with Tim Shaw pups ( I also confirmed them) later on.

A big thank you to everybody for giving me this valuable information and I can now enjoy this instrument a little more.

Regards

Kim

SG 100

They did not all have black head stocks. Here's a link to the 1972 Gibson catalog.

Thanks for that link. It shows the dimensions of an SG 100. I checked mine over and it is a match. So this "old girl" started out as a 1971 SG 100 and had a major upgrade later on with Tim Shaw pups ( I also confirmed them) later on.

A big thank you to everybody for giving me this valuable information and I can now enjoy this instrument a little more.

Regards

Kim

Hello Chris

I have attached a somewhat blurry photo of the pots but they are definitely DiMarzio's. The 250K pot has the number 5639120 and the 500K pot has 563???? as there is some solder over the rest of the numbers.

Regards

Kim

No doubt, they are definitely Dimarzio.

Archived