Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Riviera Custom P93

slk

Anyone have any experiences with these guitars? A friend just showed me his and I am very impressed with the looks of this guitar. I did not have a chance to play it but was just wondering if it is a good guitar. The price sure won't break the bank.

Thanks

Steve

Anyone have any experiences with these guitars? A friend just showed me his and I am very impressed with the looks of this guitar. I did not have a chance to play it but was just wondering if it is a good guitar. The price sure won't break the bank.

Thanks

Steve

I have one its a great guitar . I Love the tone of the stock p 90s in it . Its a great playing guitar . Crust has more then one of them on this site i am sure he can tell you more.

The Riviera Custom P93 with Wine Red finish is still in production and there is also a Ltd. Ed. Riviera Custom P93 Red Royale

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/Ltd-Ed-Riviera-Custom-P93-Red-Royale.aspx

The webpage is incorrect where it describes the guitar as having Alnico Classic/Classic+ humbuckers because it, obviously, has three P-90's.

That red wine finish with the gold trim is just gorgeous. My friend has one but I have not played it yet. Was thinking of going to Guitar Center and seeing if they had one I could try. I own a solid body Gibson and I am hoping the tone will be different than it. I own 2 epiphone acoustical guitars and both are great players. Ya know with a lifetime warrantee it is hard to go wrong..

Steve

How does the Epiphone Riviera compare with like the Gibson ES 335's??? I guess I am wanting to know if the Epiphone is just a mediocre copy of the Gibson, or are they really great guitars that play very well. I am in the market for a nice archtop, but don't want to get something that will not play nice....

Steve

Steve....

Much as I like my Dot - I got one a cupla years ago and after playing it a year or so bought a second in red - I can tell you that they're not Gibson artisanship, but they're great-playing and nowadays great-sounding guitars.

The thing is that when one starts comparing Epis of the same body concept as a Gibson, you're really comparing apples and oranges.

The Epi is less hand workmanship and, from the same general "lot," more consistent. In the U.S., it also has more transportation "climate" effects potential I've seen a bit of. I do think that the newer Chinese electric versions are technically closer to the Gibson varieties. The past cupla years Epi's electronics (pots and pups) were upgraded - but I doubt much difference in the "bling" varieties and the plain Dots.

The Gibson is more handwork, more likely to have some slight variation in neck "feel" and less transportation climate affect in the U.S. - although I recall some complaints here about Gibson stick-out effects from folks in the U.K. Basically one expects a more artisan-work instrument than on an Epi.

Bottom line is that on guitars, there's a lot of individual response from the player to a given instrument. I have an acquaintance that plays the most disreputable-looking old semi-hollow Gibson I've ever seen. But he plays it exceptionally well and it sounds like a guitar-version of a Strad.

m

I hear ya on that M. My friends Riviera is really nice, and he like it a lot. I know comparing the Gibson's to the Epi's is probably not a good thing to get in your mind but it is there. Ya know if the Gibson's were just twice as much I would most likely go that route, but they are 3,4,&5 times as much and that is a lot of difference. As long as the Epi's are enjoyable to play and they have a good tone for the money it would be hard to go wrong with a 500 dollar Riviera.

I did pm Crust, but have not heard his comments yet.

Thanks guys

Steve

Hello. Well, yes, I do like these P93 Riviera's. They are a departure from your run of the mill MIM Strat. I can't say enough good things about the ones I am fortunate to play. I don't believe they are the same as a Gibson ES 335, The P93 I believe is heavier, and probably has a deeper tone than a 335 (I also have an Epiphone ES 335 Pro, another cool Epiphone). I guess If you can afford a Gibson ES 335, well I won't stop you, but I got 4 nice Epiphone P93's in different finishes and I'm happy with that (I'm still looking for a White Royal to complete). I'd say these are similar to a Mexican Stratocaster, in an Epiphone way, maybe even better, they do look cool and sound great . What more can be said ? Get it, try it out and report back :)

Thanks for all of the replies. My friend is going to bring his over so I can see what they sound like first hand. GC says they can have one in the store if I order it in 3-5 days. With the warrantee Epiphone has is it any advantage to get GC's extended pro coverage???

Steve

Archived