Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 2015 guitars

Rabs

heh. Not quite.

Henry and those that own this company know how history has been repeatedly re-written and altered to suit the legends people have created. Les, unfortunately, just wasn't all that greata guy, said some nasty things, did worse as a dad and a husband. They don't ever want to talk about that stuff. Couple books exist that say the truth, and GP magazine used to write real history, but that was long ago.

rct

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heh. Not quite.

Henry and those that own this company know how history has been repeatedly re-written and altered to suit the legends people have created. Les, unfortunately, just wasn't all that greata guy, said some nasty things, did worse as a dad and a husband. They don't ever want to talk about that stuff. Couple books exist that say the truth, and GP magazine used to write real history, but that was long ago.

rct

Yeah I was gonna say, all Fender would have to do is buy one and sand it down to see what top is on there.. lol :)

Was it to do with Les's competition with Chet Atkins on who had the blingiest guitar?

heh. Not quite.

rct

Well none of us are perfect but thank God his name was Les Paul and not Bigmurtanski Humperdinkerbutt or we'd all be playing a popular guitar referred to as a BIG BUTT. [scared]

That can be fixed easy but that headstock decal can't.

I have to be honest...........given the choice of that headstock logo, or the 120th inlay, I'd take the 120th inlay.

That headstock decal to me is as much of what makes a les paul a les paul as the gibby logo is........I don't think I'd get one that was different.

Of course I have to laugh at myself........I don't get all the fuss about the 120th inlay.......I could take it or leave it, but the Les signature shouldn't be messed with in my opinion........image that......I'm a guitar player with double standards.......lmao.

NHTom

Been thinking about this a bit. I think my next guitar will be a PRS. Maybe one of the S2 series so I don't have to get a second on my house :rolleyes:

The S2 Single Cuts look pretty good. OK, the Miras look good too.

I hated the PRS S2s I tried a couple days ago ... didn't feel right. On my way out an SE caught my eye though. It came home with me today. I'm still planning to add a another Gibby if I can find one I like. It's not looking good though. 2014s are disappearing fast.

Anyway, this is the cheap PRS my cheap Tele turned into :)

grabbed_1410966353.png

Meanwhile, Epiphone is knocking it out of the park with PRO pickups, better switches and pots, nano-flex tech, some models with Gibson P'ups, 50's neck profiles and barely a minEtune in sight. Not to mention a recently expanded Elitist line with nitro finishes and a new Korean ES-175 with acrylic lacquer.

If I didnt know better, I'd swear that they are trying to convert ya'll over to Epiphone. [tongue]

...and a new Korean ES-175 with acrylic lacquer.

If I didnt know better, I'd swear that they are trying to convert ya'll over to Epiphone. [tongue]

That 175 got me. It's a beaut, I love that thing. My first Epiphone in long time, since the 90's.

rct

Meanwhile, Epiphone is knocking it out of the park with PRO pickups, better switches and pots, nano-flex tech, some models with Gibson P'ups, 50's neck profiles and barely a minEtune in sight. Not to mention a recently expanded Elitist line with nitro finishes and a new Korean ES-175 with acrylic lacquer.

I bought & dumped 2 Epis, both with PRO pups, in the last couple of years. 8 out of 10 in the shops had loose/missing parts or dead pups, or something else wrong. They all had frets polished with #100 sand paper.

I *wanted* to love Epi. I *tried* to love Epi. It didn't work out and I'm a few hundred $$ wiser.

This Korean PRS might as well be a Gibby Custom Shop guitar compared to an Epi. I don't think I'll be converting any time soon, but thanks for the update on the things they're changing ... that should've been to begin with :)

I bought & dumped 2 Epis, both with PRO pups, in the last couple of years. 8 out of 10 in the shops had loose/missing parts or dead pups, or something else wrong. They all had frets polished with #100 sand paper.

I *wanted* to love Epi. I *tried* to love Epi. It didn't work out and I'm a few hundred $$ wiser.

This Korean PRS might as well be a Gibby Custom Shop guitar compared to an Epi. I don't think I'll be converting any time soon, but thanks for the update on the things they're changing ... that should've been to begin with :)

I can somewhat excuse loose parts and a dead pickup with the possibility of it being just a loose wire. The problem is that these big box stores allow people to test drive the product but arent authorized to do any repairs (even tighten a loose jack) without writing up a repair ticket and possibly sending the guitar out. Its pretty ridiculous the shape some instruments are in because of this.The most they are allowed to do is adjust the neck - which is inherently more dangerous that tightening a jack or pot, but whatever.

No excuse for bad fretwork and finishes though. Epiphone makes some great stuff, but you really have to cherry pick and buying online is a huge gamble.

Anyway, I'm sad to see the direction Gibson is headed in. The more people scream to go back to their roots, the faster they head in the other direction. These robotic tuning systems are proven failures, yet Gibson just wont let go of them.They would be better off installing a pickup ring E-tuner on them...and I think people would actually like that feature.

And this new Les Paul headstock signature is just...bad. No disrepect to Les, but damn...just damn. They couldnt get a scan of his sig from 1962 or something? A few practice runs before going to print? something...anything...

... Epiphone makes some great stuff, but you really have to cherry pick and buying online is a huge gamble.

No way would I order an Epi online. It's too bad really. With a little nudge, they could have some really great stuff ... consistently.

Anyway, I'm sad to see the direction Gibson is headed in. The more people scream to go back to their roots, the faster they head in the other direction. These robotic tuning systems are proven failures, yet Gibson just wont let go of them.They would be better off installing a pickup ring E-tuner on them...and I think people would actually like that feature.

And this new Les Paul headstock signature is just...bad. No disrepect to Les, but damn...just damn. They couldnt get a scan of his sig from 1962 or something? A few practice runs before going to print? something...anything...

The pup ring tuner on my Ultra-339 was really cool. I found them ... somewhere online.

One more Gibby for me. Pre-'15. I'll know it when I touch it :)

Well it is realy sad, just when i am starting to like gibson they mess it all up. What is wrong with that guys?

I only have one Les Paul and many of you may even think the one i have is not a real one its a LPJ.

I don´t know how it feels to have a real one in my hands. I was born in 82 and started to play in 2013.

One thing i want to say is that not all of the younger guitar players want all that science fiction crap in their guitars.

The reason why i don´t bought a custom shop model is because i don´t have the money.

And i may not be the most experienced guy here but i know what sounds good and what looks good, and this G-Force thing and that headstock don´t.

At least many of you guys have some of the real stuff in their homes.

Sadly i can´t buy another guitar in this moment and if this is the way Gibson goes from now on, i will only buy a used one.

I would prefere to buy it new but, no thanks. Not with this headstock and i don´t want to pay for this G-crap when i am gonna replace it anyway.

And yeah maybe they don´t give a sh.. about our opinion but they sure do when cash stops flowing into their pockets.

Some may like all this fancy stuff, and i respect it if you like it go with it. But why don´t let the customers choose if they want it or not?

Random thoughts ...

I don't think it's a coinkydink that GC changes ownership shortly before Gibson announces production cuts.

The Gibson/GC marriage resulted in many, many Gibson dealers moving on to other brands. What's left if they aren't going to move a million copies a year thru GC?

Quality LP-style guitars are available with many different names on the headstock. Not that Gibson has done it, but with brand/trade names being traded/bought/sold like underwear, brand loyalty has diminished.

With the passing of the Rock-n-Roll era (my opinion), the glamor and glitter of a Gibson Les Paul plugged into an all tube Marshall stack has lost its ... well, glamor and glitter.

I'm not surprised in the least that Gibson is throwing every jello-tech thing they can find against the wall to see if something will stick.

Look at the other side of music; the listening side. How many audophile quality home stereo systems do you see in people's homes these days? Hell, I bet 99% of music play time these days is thru earbuds plugged into an iSomething!

Capital 'T' analog 'Tone' is for us dinos. And so are our tools.

I tried one Epiphony at the urge of a great sales pitch these are just as good made by Gibson and look at the money you will save. Well they are not just as good and after you end up buying new hardware, pickups, pots, switches and input jack... you could have got a real Gibson. If it seems to good to be true it usually is. I remember when Gibson sued ibanez and Aria Lotus etc for making cheap copies and won the lawsuit. They had my respect on that deal only for a moment now the moments gone. They just turned around and started selling us their own cheap copies.

It really depends on the Epiphone model you are looking at. Anything MIJ is gong to be great, but unfortunatley, those models are very limited. And the Tribute Plus model is fantastic from what I've heard. But I'm not here to convince anyone to buy Epiphone. Gibson is doing that just fine without my help. [lol]

I caved. Just pulled the trigger on what will likely be my last new Gibson. Nobody within reasonable travel distance has anything in stock, so I've turned to sweetwater (again). Here are a couple of their photos. Supposed to be here Wednesday ...

grabbed_1411395145.png

grabbed_1411395317.png

Hey bobf_Barbera thats a great looking Studio is that a 2014 studio in Desert Burst? I have been looking at one over at American Musical and am having a hard time deceiding on a color and yours is killer looking.I was thinking of going with the wine red but after seeing your pics I may have changed my mind.If you get a minuite and can put it down after you get it could you please post if you really dig it.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-LPST14-W5CH1

Hey bobf_Barbera thats a great looking Studio is that a 2014 studio in Desert Burst? I have been looking at one over at American Musical and am having a hard time deceiding on a color and yours is killer looking.I was thinking of going with the wine red but after seeing your pics I may have changed my mind.If you get a minuite and can put it down after you get it could you please post if you really dig it.

http://www.americanm...IB-LPST14-W5CH1

That's a good lookin' wine

This one is a '14 in Fireburst Candy. I had a hard time deciding between Fire and Tobacco. I let the grain/figuring make the decision for me. I've always wanted a Wine LP, but this is my first maple capped LP (my beauty is solid mahogany), so I want to see the maple :)

When I actually get it, I'll post in the '14 Studio Pro thread I started a day or two ago.

http://forum.gibson....ost__p__1566306

You do have a real one. I've had a Custom, a Standard and a Studio. Now I have a '13 LPJ (that I'll never sell) and it rivals my old '91 Standard.

I'm not sure why the LPJ seems to be largely dismissed. I love mine. Of course, all just my opinions! (but a lot of people out there agree). [biggrin]

You can´t imagine how happy i am to hear that from an experienced Les Paul owner.

I never did believe all the negative stuff that people tell about LPJ´s on the web. Most of the things they say is about the looks anyway,

crying obout that they have no bindings, glossy finish or Les Paul script on the headstock.

never read something about that it sounds horrible or does not feel right.

And for the script, better without than with the Les Paul 100 like the 2015 models have.

Thanks a lot man.

Meanwhile, Epiphone is knocking it out of the park with PRO pickups, better switches and pots, nano-flex tech, some models with Gibson P'ups, 50's neck profiles and barely a minEtune in sight.

I agree. I have a thread on my 1st Epiphone purchase in the Epiphone forum but will post a link to pictures of mine here:

http://www.rivercityrockets.com/EpiLP.html

This was an online purchase and there were no quality control issues with this purchase at all. As an owner of 5 Gibson LP's I feel I have a good baseline to compare this one to. It well may be a hit & miss regarding QC based on comments from others here but given the ridiculous price increases Gibson is showing for 2015 I predict more people will be eyeballing the Epiphone line of guitars than perhaps they did before.

Archived