Gibson Brands Forums

Everything 'bout da blues...

larryp58

String dampening with a combination of beard and right hand palm! That takes a few years planning!

Blues Rock really?

I saw the Top back in the 80s and that was a real special gig! They are the definition of one tight band!

BluesKing777.

[biggrin][thumbup]

Sorry though while I do surely respect the Rev. Gibbons when to comes to this kind of formulaistic blues think I will stick with electric Hot Tuna.
Gotta agree here. Nothing 'gainst Rev B (his heart is in the right palce when it comes to the blues and the Top is good schtick), but here's a few more 'bridge' players with a foot a little deeper in the mud, so to speak:

Kenny Brown

No. Ms Allstars

Kenny Brown

Some of the best stuff I ever heard was when Kenny and R.L. Burnside would just be sitting on R.L.'s porch going at it.

I liked the Allstars when they started out (although they were from the northern part of the state we considered them a hometown band) but they lost me when they got into that southern jam band thing. But when they had Alvin Youngblood Hart along with them and he and Luther would go toe to toe on something like "Big Mama's Door" it was a slice of pure guitar magic.

I have had the pleasure to watch Billy Boy tear it up a few times, one memorable night @ Fitzgerald's in Houston when he prolonged the blues for quite some time. We were watching the old Texas band Point Blank play and he jumped up there with them and they went off, man. Jesus Just Left Chicago and went to the Mississippi Delta and back and it was a real treat. They jammed a Lightnin Hopkins song called Limousine Blues that lasted over 20 minutes. He played a '59 gold top Paul and he was in fine form with Point Blank. I believe that was Rusty's guitar. What a memorable night! ZZ started out with the blues, went commercial, but BG did not sell his soul, it's still there. He is and always will be one of my favorite folks:)

Archived