Gibson Brands Forums

Hello-Goodbye

DonCarlos

Hello all. I have posted less and less over the years, and now I am officially released from Gibson ownership. Fabulous guitars no doubt but I really got kind of tired babysitting the thing. When prices reach the amounts paid for a Gibson, then you tend to have to do that.

I feel strangely relieved and free of the expensive guitar bondage, I spent more time caring or worry over my J45 than playing it (Was it out of the case too long….should we move out of the desert….what's the humidity…..is my damp-it dried out…..did I wipe it down…..does it know I am complaining about it"? So, when the mood to play or record hit me, I was always turning to my Epi Masterbilt or my old Eko or my cheap Gemini 3, to play. Music flowed more easily. But that is my take on the Gibson and I mean no disrespect to any of you.

Everyone here has been great members to interact with, and wow such talented people (Yes I am talking about you Mr. Gibs and Aussie and many others), [thumbup]

I will still be over at the Epi forum in the future, but no longer here. No more acoustic guitars over a few hundred bucks, Like Dave Ramsey says "Freedom".

Thanks to all of you for your great advice and insights.

Need Not Be Present To Win.... No Purchase Required.... Swing by once in awhile. I have to admit - its my $99 Frankenstein guitar that sits out that probably gets more than its fair share of playing time. Its indestructible too.... I have tried. Don't consider it "leaving" , just consider it fishing on the other side of the river for awhile. Hope to see you up around the bend.

hmmm Good luck I can not imagine just selling them all??? I have some cheapies as well and I feel like I am a bit anal attentive with them but I don't worry that much, I mean I do not let the better ones sit out all the time and do not wipe them everytime I touch them...just can't imagine just saying poof your gone..LOL wow my wife probably wishes I would.

I live on the coast of Oregon, and even here, it's possible to have humidity issues in the winter. I take a few deliberate precautions in terms of where I leave my instruments in the house, but otherwise, I refuse to worry about it & never actively do anything to humidify my guitars. I've had a few finish checks develop, but that's a price I'm willing to pay in order to not mentally slave over twenty-seven instruments. To be a positive focal point, they need to remain a source of ongoing enjoyment - from the most to least expensive.

I also never look at gas prices and couldn't care less. Drives my wife nuts, but it's another deliberate choice geared towards remaining mentally calm & not sweating the small stuff. Same with the cost of day to day food choices. I'm not going to buy a cheapass substitute just to save a buck on what's going through my body - and so on. We all make our choices, and sometimes it's important to draw a personalized line in the sand.

If the way for you to gain freedom from OCDish anguish is to get rid of a high end guitar, so be it & congrats!

DC, a difficult decision - but it sounds like the right one for you. A lot of members come and go here. I think, in part, it is related to their interest in buying a new Gibson and/or re-newed interest in playing in general.

Those who have more disposable income or disposable internet time probably spend it on sites like this. But, few people want an expensive Italian sports car that takes more time to care for than drive. Unless, you enjoy taking care of it more than driving it.

I hope we don't have too many members here who we are making OCD(g) by our constant threads regarding the need to throw out all your snap button shirts and belt buckles, wear long sleeve shirts and maintain the humidity between 44 and 46%!

I think Rule 1, overshadowing all the 'proper care and feeding' rules - should be "Play it like you stole it." I know that message works better with cars - but the message is the same. It would have been a more enjoyable experience for you if you could have treated your J45 like it was one of your Epiphones. But - like I said - you made the right decision for you. G'Luck.

I never worry about my guitars, and I'm a worrier by nature and have plenty of other stuff to worry about. I just play them in rotation and do all the humidifying tasks after I play each one. I take more than reasonable care when I'm handling and playing but stuff happens along the way. I especially try and protect them from drunks and the guitar-clueless. Other than that I so enjoy playing that I can't get too cranked up about the dings. When I look at all the vintage Gibsons shown here and see what time has dished out I actually like the look of a well played instrument to a brand new shiny one. But, to each their own.

I never worry about my guitars, and I'm a worrier by nature and have plenty of other stuff to worry about. I just play them in rotation and do all the humidifying tasks after I play each one. I take more than reasonable care when I'm handling and playing but stuff happens along the way. I especially try and protect them from drunks and the guitar-clueless. Other than that I so enjoy playing that I can't get too cranked up about the dings. When I look at all the vintage Gibsons shown here and see what time has dished out I actually like the look of a well played instrument to a brand new shiny one. But, to each their own.

Hmmm...now admittedly I don't live in the desert, but I have a nearly 40 year-old Martin HD-28, a 20+ year-old Gibson J-200, a 37 year-old Guild F-212XL, and a 90 year-old Gibson mandolin. All of 'em hang on my wall to be played at my whim, and each of them gets hung right back up there when I'm through. All are in fine shape, no finish cracks, etc. Maybe I'm naive, but I just don't see obsessing over them. I love each and every one, but they're tools to be used and enjoyed, and age happens. JMHO.

Check in from time to time, DC. Good luck with your other guitars. We all do "baby" our Gibby's, our Martins, and other expensive guitars; but at the end of the day they're still just guitars. Play'em and play'em hard! That's the rule I go by. If you worry about every little ding or scratch or humidity, you're only limiting yourself and the guitar on what you can get out of it. I do take relatively good care of my instruments (wipe them down after playing, let them acclimate to playing conditions, etc.), but a guitar is made to be played! I play a $100 guitar just like I do my $3000 Gibby. It's all about TONE! Go in peace!

Thought this was going to be another Beatles thread.

I have never babied my guitars other than keeping them safely out of reach of dogs and kids. Probably just too lazy to mollycoddle the things.

But looking at the guitars I have snagged for $30 and how much I enjoy them I do find myself asking what is the point of owning anything that costs more. But then I play one that did cost more and answer my own question.

Archived