Gibson Brands Forums

Need help choosing a Les Paul

Jessica Powell

A budget would be nice so we could help. If you want a deal. Zzounds and AMS is blowing out Signature T models for as low as $1500.

I just bought an Alpine White burst for under $1500 from Zzounds. Its a great player sounds awesome! I have a 60's neck studio with 50's wiring and a JB and a 59 too and I like em both.

The traditional pro is also nice and the Slash Rossa Corsa is nice too, the studio pro plays and sounds great but it may be a bit too modern for pure blues tone. Don't rule out Ebay, My buddy just won a mint Alpine white custom for around $1800 in an auction. It is beautiful and looked barely played when he got it.

I see there's a huge range for prices. I originally wanted to stay under $2000 but I'm not sure if I can get a better guitar than what he currently has for that price.

I have looked at the LP Classic, Traditional, and Standard on Sweetwater but I have no idea how these compare to his current guitar.

Guest Farnsbarns

I see there's a huge range for prices. I originally wanted to stay under $2000 but I'm not sure if I can get a better guitar than what he currently has for that price.

I have looked at the LP Classic, Traditional, and Standard on Sweetwater but I have no idea how these compare to his current guitar.

I certainly understand why you're asking (I'm assuming you're a non player or a non Gibsonite) but it's really impossible to answer and here's why...

You can't really "upgrade" from that model unless you are looking for specific features it doesn't have or something more desirable (collectible kind of comes under this ). Is it a surprise? If so, you're really going to struggle unless you get one of his friends in on it and get them to cleverly find out what he wants even if it's just what features he wants. If he does know about it you're going to have to ask him for some input.

You can get a Traditional Pro for under 2k. My buddy has one with a 60s neck and I love it! Guitar Center did have them on sale for $1800.

Check online, AMS and Zzounds have been running a bunch of Gibson sales lately.

The 57 classic set in the Traditional Pro is tonally right up the alley of what your hubby is looking for.

They have coil taps too and they offer some good tonal options. The Classic is nice too, I almost bought one of them.

I would have but I got a better deal on the Sig T. For me a guy who plays at home I can't justify the price difference between a standard and the Traditional pro or the Classic. The standard has a nicer top but the AA tops on the other two are plenty nice and the build quality is the same.

I would like to buy my husband a Les Paul for a gift and need some help choosing. He currently plays a LP standard double cutaway and would like an upgrade. This guitar would be for playing blues and he isn't interested in a collector's item. Any suggestions?

The wordings "upgrade" and "better guitar" make me think. Double Cut LPs are great guitars, and other guitars can be different and more flexible e. g. through switching options or piezo pickups. When about guitars, it goes around workmanship which is an objective thing, and around playability and tone depending on personal taste to a large extent.

In my opinion, if your husband wants an upgrade, it is rather likely something about his DC LP is not to his taste, than this guitar is inferior. It would be interesting to know specifically what in particular he doesn't like about it.

...When I've asked why he wants one because he already has a Les Paul he says yes but it's a standard double cutaway...

Which suggests to me that he's probably wanting something with the more 'classic' single-cut style.

When most players hear the words 'Les Paul' spoken in connection with a guitar they have, in their mind's eye, a Cherry Sun Burst single-cut 'Standard'.

The closest currently available to these, the 'Holy Grail' of guitars, made between '58 and '60 are the Traditional and Traditional 120.

Solid mahogany body; two-tone two-vol controls; no Min ETune; and a nice top - especially fancy in the case of the 120 but for that you'll be paying a lot more money for no better tone.

It really doesn't get much more 'classic' than this;

LPTradHCSB_zps36e8d7ff.jpg

Here's the link to see the specs and finish options;

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx

If it won't spoil a surprise you might let him have a peek somehow...

I wish you both the best of luck!

P.

You're right, I am a non-player. When I've asked why he wants one because he already has a Les Paul he says yes but it's a standard double cutaway.

Well, it was not about you being a player or not. Your individual likes about guitars could be different from those of your husband.

So in case it's about his guitar being a double cutaway, he might consider it "less real" or "less original" in some way. This may depend on look, tone, playing feel, or personal feel. It's not easy for me to understand, at least not to a degree I would want to give you an advice. I wouldn't want to run the risk of contributing to a purchase that possibly leads to an expensive disappointment in the end.

I am also a player, not a collector, and have never been interested in collector's value. As a singer and songwriter, my songs rule if I take a Telecaster, Les Paul, Stratocaster, SG, or one of a few other guitars I have at hand, as well as pickup selections and amp sounds. Furthermore, particular instruments can be inspiring, even addictive, and this is something which may change from time to time and from song to song. This makes it all even more unpredictable.

So any more specific hint could be helpful in finding the right thing to do.

I would like to buy my husband a Les Paul for a gift and need some help choosing. He currently plays a LP standard double cutaway and would like an upgrade. This guitar would be for playing blues and he isn't interested in a collector's item. Any suggestions?

I WILL be shot for this...but you can also order him a Heritage 535 or 555 semi-hollow to compliment his LP Stnd DC.

This is an upgrade too. [biggrin]

Another bad piece of news...he'll want as many guitars as you own shoes! It's a disease...

I've got my fifth coming on a UPS truck now from Mich. I need help...

Another bad piece of news...he'll want as many guitars as you own shoes! It's a disease...

I've got my fifth coming on a UPS truck now from Mich. I need help...

Just five? This qualifies you as a beginner. You're in severe need of help - some more guitars... [scared] :P [biggrin]

Perhaps she could beat him down to as many guitars as she owns pairs of shoes. ;)

'

Just five? This qualifies you as a beginner. You're in severe need of help - some more guitars... [scared] :P [biggrin]

Perhaps she could beat him down to as many guitars as she owns pairs of shoes. ;)

...between my daughters 3 and my son's 8...we got guitars coming out the wazoo... ;-)

'

...between my daughters 3 and my son's 8...we got guitars coming out the wazoo... ;-)

Either my son and my daughter don't own a single one. However, I started playing guitar short before my 22nd birthday, so they still have some time. [rolleyes]

Either my son and my daughter don't own a single one. However, I started playing guitar short before my 22nd birthday, so they still have some time. [rolleyes]

Quantity is exacerbated by the fact that I'm a lefty...I regret not teaching them to play lefty...we'd have less guitars but more variety to play.

Quantity is exacerbated by the fact that I'm a lefty...I regret not teaching them to play lefty...we'd have less guitars but more variety to play.

My son and me are righties, my daughter is a lefty. At least, my kids wouldn't argue about possibly owned guitars and basses. [biggrin]

A guitar is a very personal thing and the same guitar will sound different in different players hands due to their touch etc.

Get him a nice sunburst from Sweetwater or other online retailer. Get the nicest looking one you can afford. Then he can play it and if there is something he doesn't care for (each one is a little different), he can send it back and get a refund or exchange it. That way you are not risking $2000 on something he may not care for.

Archived