Gibson Brands Forums

Help selling my 1993 Classic Les Paul

fackelmann

That's what I've determined it is after doing a bit of research, anyway -- was hoping you all could help me confirm that it's a pre-October '93 classic. I want to make some money from it but I want to ask a fair price, too -- right now I'm thinking of asking $1500. It has some very minor scratches on the back of the body; other than that it's in pretty decent shape (top pickup seems loose but obviously I'd have that fixed before selling it). Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. photos here:

93 classic

I think you are in the right ballpark price wise. Asking $1500 seems OK, just don't expect to get that much necessarily. I'm pretty sure I had one of these (cherry sunburst) from that era, it was a 60 reissue and only paid about $1300 for it new. It's like anything used - it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay you for it.

It is a question of if it's value has gone up because it is not made any longer, and certainly less that a new LP with similar features so good luck I think you will do alright. Nice looking guitar. [thumbup]

I think you can go to $1700 on that if not more. The early 90s models go for a bit more cash, they're truer to the 1960 Les Paul that the later model Classics. If I was selling it on eBay I would be asking $2000 or best offer. That's a nice guitar.

I just sold my 2000 Classic for $1600... It sold in less than an hour.

Please string your Classic LP up and tune it as soon as possible. The current imbalance might kill the neck forever. Hopefully this hasn't been for long - it could have already resulted in a neck twist beyond repair.

WOW..I didn't even see that till I saw this post. Only when I zoomed in I could see that.

What I did notice was the D string saddle position and I said what is going on?

Now I know...

I don't know about the USA, but over here in the UK those original Les Paul Classics are quite desirable. As you can see on yours they originally put the Les Paul MODEL in gold on the headstock, instead of Les Paul Classic on the later ones. This was because people were taking off the truss rod cover and replacing it with a blank one and selling them for much more as Historic Reissues.

Yours appears to be a Classic Premium / Premium Plus too, which I believe were priced higher than the LP Standard back in '93. I have a 2003 Classic and recently saw one being sold for £1799 over here used (I think that's around $2800 or more with the current exchange rate - though may need to check the online calculator!). I reckon over here you would get at least the same £1799 for it if not more as it is a premium model and a fine example of an early model (pending the neck is ok!) [thumbup]

Archived