Gibson Brands Forums

a little help??

jameswithesg

Hello!

Nowadays almost all gibson pickups are wax potted as they call it. Therefore I´d think twice about removing the cover. I did it once. The cover itself is soldered to the ground plate of the pickup. So first you´d have to remove the soldering. That is pretty easy if you have a little talent and a soldering iron. With older pickups without the wax potting that´s it. The cover can be lifted off now. With wax potting you may have to heat up the whole pickup. Maybe in an oven. But not too hot. Just hot enough to melt the wax. And after this procedure there´ll be wax all over + you´ll have to remove the cover as long as the wax is hot. And be careful not to damage the wiring of the coils.

B.t.w. as far as I know burstbuckers aren´t wax potted. But I´m not sure. But you might find more about this matter on the gibson homepage.

Personally I´d get a pickup without cover and sell the old one.

Kurt

oh no way am i selling my 57's, one of the reasons i got the axe in the first pace,

im gonna do a little research on some of the guys i like, see what they used, maybe try something new,

totally keeping the 57's though, not gonna try to decover them either, i like em to much

Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery good decision!!! 57s are among my three favourite gibson pickups. I put two of them in my 85 Les Paul Custom and they made a good guitar even better. They are sounding much better than the original pickups in that Paula did. But ofcourse it depends a bit on what type of music you´re into.

Archived