Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Epiphone Union Jack Sheraton waiting thread

sdgails

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love my sheraton union jack apart from a terrible fretboard full of white streaks. As it's a brand new guitar I figured it's sap in the low grade rosewood, so I changed it. Now I'm well happy

probably buffing compound. I doubt it's sap.

By changing it I have used black leather dye and ebonised my fretboard, it's just stunning, I can't upload pictures as it says they are too big, I'll keep trying

I use photobucket for pics. I quite like the fretboard, really smooth, the first one I had had loads of white in the grain but the one I kept isn't that bad!

I meant to ask who did your noel paint job? I've struggled to find a good luthier around here.

The UJs are really stacking up on eBay...Musicians Friend is even listing one on eBay at a discount that was more than likely a return...says used, no warranty.

There is also an original Noel up for grabs in nice condition with some upgrades but OE parts are available with the guitar...Has a Gibson HSC.

Wish I knew there would be some Noels coming out of the woodwork...would have probably gone with one of those...but I still love my EJ.

The custom paint job cost me 500 pounds on the oasis sheraton I have, 100 pounds for the gold plating, 200 for the custom pick ups and 550 for the actual 62 reissue sheraton 1 , your welcome to buy it as it's still on ebay, this ebonised board is on the new UJ sheraton, it's stunning now

Thank you, I'm so pleased with it now, the black neck makes the fret markers stand out so vividly. All guitar makers dye there necks to get a more uniform colour, and leather dye is the trade Secret, doesn't come off on your fingers, I'm blown away by the result

I have used Minwax ebony stain on the fretboard of my 79 Gibson SG.

Came out really nice, I then dressed the fretboard with a fretboard oil.

Was it difficult to keep the leather dye from leaching to the white neck...did you tape the neck off?Just wondering how long you let the dye set up before rubbing it off?

I see the fret markers wiped real clean too.

Thanks, Luke.

1421630457[/url]' post='1616911']

I didn't tape anything off, the dye was left on for around 30 minutes, I buffed off the board, removed the dye from the neck with warm soapy water, then lemon oiled after a couple of days to condition it

Gracias.

• 2 weeks later...

I made an interesting discovery on my UJ today. I was polishing the back of the neck and holding up to the light and swore I could see the faint lines of walnut strips running down the back of the headstock like a Sheraton 11 would have. I pulled the neck pickup and even through the paint I could see the two stripes right below the fretboard board at the end of the neck. So my UJ anyway has a laminated 5 piece neck!

1422931128[/url]' post='1624025']

I made an interesting discovery on my UJ today. I was polishing the back of the neck and holding up to the light and swore I could see the faint lines of walnut strips running down the back of the headstock like a Sheraton 11 would have. I pulled the neck pickup and even through the paint I could see the two stripes right below the fretboard board at the end of the neck. So my UJ anyway has a laminated 5 piece neck!

Thanks for the heads up on that about the 5 piece lami neck.

Also happy you finally got a keeper EJ after the ones you had to send back.

All the EJs being sold as used or refurbished seem to have thst problem with the surface cracking at the nut.Some have been repaired.I 'm wondering if that is an inherent problem with the build or it happens during shipping?

If it a construction issue, I'm wondering if more EJs will develop or have developed that problem, and will that be covered under the manufacturers warranty?

I have 'spider' cracking about an 1/8 inch long on the top side...I see no separation from the fretboard/ neck at this point will watch it closely to see if the cracking lengthens.

I think it's shipping damage from the case. If they would put another U shaped cradle right at front of the compartment on the case I think it would prevent the damage. While it could be a QC problem I think it's shipping. I've emailed Gibson about it but of course no answer. I'm watching mine and if it does develop I'll file a warranty claim.

1422986261[/url]' post='1624268']

I think it's shipping damage from the case. If they would put another U shaped cradle right at front of the compartment on the case I think it would prevent the damage. While it could be a QC problem I think it's shipping. I've emailed Gibson about it but of course no answer. I'm watching mine and if it does develop I'll file a warranty claim.

Wow, it that is the problem Gibson should heed your advice, save themselves some money and bad press...like they are not getting enough with the atrocious price hike and much hate for the headstock decal....

The non- response to your e- mail is indicative of their entire customer service attitude.If you visit any of the music boards and forums you will see Gibson taking a well desrved licking on most sites.

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw a couple of Refurbs on eBay for sale...not much off List price and one with no case....Both dealers have replaced the OEM pickups ...one claims guitar came into refurb factory w/o any pick ips and the other says Orig. Pickups were defective.Sounds strange...One said pick ups were replaced with EPIPHONE mini humbuckers...

Archived