Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Traditional?

Jackctheripper

Greetings everyone i'm new here and I just wanted everyone's opinion on the 2014 Les Paul traditional. I have always wanted a Les Paul and very close to pulling the trigger on one for around 2300.00 on AMS.com. I have heard a'lot of bad things from Gibson as far as quality inspection and I already had to send back a 2014 SG standard due to some quality issues. I am doing the payment plan for 196.00 a month do you guys think its worth it? Or should I go with something else..

Hello and welcome here, JTR.

First, I rather would buy an Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus cash than a Gibson on payments. Owning this particular Epi model and several Gibson LPs, I can say the Epi is simply worth the money. However, any new guitar will take some rework, even if someone stays with stock string brand and gauge which up to never has been the case with me. I always go heavier, for standard tuning, to clarify this. [biggrin] Moreover, due to finish shrinkage, every screw on a new guitar will call for careful retightening.

It is always best to check out some different models first, followed by some items of basically same make with differences just in finish within a short period. Half a dozen is a good ball park advice. They all should be set up and tuned precisely, everything else would foul up a valid comparison. When comparing e. g. Gibson SG and LP models, or Gibson LPs versus Epiphone LPs, you will find certain differences applying just to model and manufacturer. LPs will sound fatter than SGs, and Gibson LPs will react more sensitive to the player's touch than Epiphones. However, the Epi stock strings are brighter and more to my taste, so the strings will play a significant role, too.

Another point is selecting amps and setups for checking guitars. To my experience, the only way of hearing out all the subtle characteristics of a particular guitar is trying it - don't laugh - through an ACOUSTIC guitar amp with EQs flat and no effects. This is a pure show-off and allows for evaluating finest details. In the end I use an electric guitar amp with extreme high gain settings at a respectable volume to check for feedback, in particular bad pickup microphonics, and possible hum and buzz problems.

If there's no guitar speaking to you, it may be better to try different ones another time.

May I ask what attracts you wanting a Traditional LP after having tried an SG? They are completely different beasts. Whan about the Traditional 2013 of mine, it is as typical as a Les Paul can be - fat, rich overtones, and impressive sustain. My SGs have more of a slim tone with less lows and a dominating midrange. I found out over the years that design and construction are crucial for tone. Pickups can only transduce what's already there. They may boost some frequencies and attenuate others, but there's no way mimicing another guitar. So i. e. my Epi LP featuring Gibson '57/'57 Plus sounds rather similar to my Gibson LP Standard 2012 with BurstBuckers Pro. The difference is in the woods.

When it's about quality, nobody can inspect it into a product. It has to be manufactured as plain as it may seem. There have been issues as I experienced myself, and some beyond adjustment or even reasonable repair. On the other hand, it is much about personal desires and individual taste. A guitar that somebody else will reject may speak to you, and vice versa. This is what I'm looking for and listening to in the end: if a guitar makes me a listener for pure enjoyment while playing. [thumbup]

In short: Close setup, perfect tuning, convenient strap comfortably adjusted, a pick of your desire if applicable, a good cable, a true HiFi acoustic amp and a hot electric amp. Then check for playability and tone. Looks should be the last step - they are nothing on a poorly playable and mediocre sounding guitar. But OK, looks can be nice, too... [love]

By the way, although I don't know about the Traditional 2014, my mid-2013 Gibson LP Traditional 2013 and my Epiphone LP 1960 Tribute Plus made in late 2012 were the most consistent models I ever tried. My final decision was based on looks in the end since tone and playabilty were tied, and as for the Traditional 2013, I went with one featuring a one-piece back. A real win-win-win situation - I had to cancel one "win" since I don't like pickguards... [biggrin]

Good luck! :)

Hello and welcome here, JTR.

First, I rather would buy an Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus cash than a Gibson on payments. Owning this particular Epi model and several Gibson LPs, I can say the Epi is simply worth the money. However, any new guitar will take some rework, even if someone stays with stock string brand and gauge which up to never has been the case with me. I always go heavier, for standard tuning, to clarify this. [biggrin] Moreover, due to finish shrinkage, every screw on a new guitar will call for careful retightening.

It is always best to check out some different models first, followed by some items of basically same make with differences just in finish within a short period. Half a dozen is a good ball park advice. They all should be set up and tuned precisely, everything else would foul up a valid comparison. When comparing e. g. Gibson SG and LP models, or Gibson LPs versus Epiphone LPs, you will find certain differences applying just to model and manufacturer. LPs will sound fatter than SGs, and Gibson LPs will react more sensitive to the player's touch than Epiphones. However, the Epi stock strings are brighter and more to my taste, so the strings will play a significant role, too.

Another point is selecting amps and setups for checking guitars. To my experience, the only way of hearing out all the subtle characteristics of a particular guitar is trying it - don't laugh - through an ACOUSTIC guitar amp with EQs flat and no effects. This is a pure show-off and allows for evaluating finest details. In the end I use an electric guitar amp with extreme high gain settings at a respectable volume to check for feedback, in particular bad pickup microphonics, and possible hum and buzz problems.

If there's no guitar speaking to you, it may be better to try different ones another time.

May I ask what attracts you wanting a Traditional LP after having tried an SG? They are completely different beasts. Whan about the Traditional 2013 of mine, it is as typical as a Les Paul can be - fat, rich overtones, and impressive sustain. My SGs have more of a slim tone with less lows and a dominating midrange. I found out over the years that design and construction are crucial for tone. Pickups can only transduce what's already there. They may boost some frequencies and attenuate others, but there's no way mimicing another guitar. So i. e. my Epi LP featuring Gibson '57/'57 Plus sounds rather similar to my Gibson LP Standard 2012 with BurstBuckers Pro. The difference is in the woods.

When it's about quality, nobody can inspect it into a product. It has to be manufactured as plain as it may seem. There have been issues as I experienced myself, and some beyond adjustment or even reasonable repair. On the other hand, it is much about personal desires and individual taste. A guitar that somebody else will reject may speak to you, and vice versa. This is what I'm looking for and listening to in the end: if a guitar makes me a listener for pure enjoyment while playing. [thumbup]

In short: Close setup, perfect tuning, convenient strap comfortably adjusted, a pick of your desire if applicable, a good cable, a true HiFi acoustic amp and a hot electric amp. Then check for playability and tone. Looks should be the last step - they are nothing on a poorly playable and mediocre sounding guitar. But OK, looks can be nice, too... [love]

By the way, although I don't know about the Traditional 2014, my mid-2013 Gibson LP Traditional 2013 and my Epiphone LP 1960 Tribute Plus made in late 2012 were the most consistent models I ever tried. My final decision was based on looks in the end since tone and playabilty were tied, and as for the Traditional 2013, I went with one featuring a one-piece back. A real win-win-win situation - I had to cancel one "win" since I don't like pickguards... [biggrin]

Good luck! :)

I played a traditional at my local guitar center and fell in love with it.. the full weight and thick tone and the fat 50's neck was something I really enjoyed and it just felt real good in my hands.. As far as the SG goes I have had a bunch of Sg guitars and the binding was coming off by the nut and the glue for the nut was smudged everywhere and the paint job was awfully done..

I played a traditional at my local guitar center and fell in love with it.. the full weight and thick tone and the fat 50's neck was something I really enjoyed and it just felt real good in my hands.. As far as the SG goes I have had a bunch of Sg guitars and the binding was coming off by the nut and the glue for the nut was smudged everywhere and the paint job was awfully done..

Can confirm it has been love on first pluck with my Traditional. So I finally decided to forgive her the pickguard... ;)

The SG's finish problems you described are poor indeed. I'm sure I would have returned this one, too. <_<

Greetings everyone i'm new here and I just wanted everyone's opinion on the 2014 Les Paul traditional. I have always wanted a Les Paul and very close to pulling the trigger on one for around 2300.00 on AMS.com. I have heard a'lot of bad things from Gibson as far as quality inspection and I already had to send back a 2014 SG standard due to some quality issues. I am doing the payment plan for 196.00 a month do you guys think its worth it? Or should I go with something else..

I bought mine from AMS, $2400 over five payments. The problems I had were this; the guitar was almost 8 oz over what they had it listed as and it was filthy (as was the one I ordered from Zzounds). I believe that AMS and Zzounds are selling some of the same stock, both were heavier than advertised. I kept the second one, 9 lbs, as it was too gorgeous and played too well to send back. Overall, I find the 2014 Trad to be everything I wanted out of a Les Paul. Go for it. You might be able to get it at a much better price if you buy one used.

12276134586_da4ac142af_o.jpg

I bought mine from AMS, $2400 over five payments. The problems I had were this; the guitar was almost 8 oz over what they had it listed as and it was filthy (as was the one I ordered from Zzounds). I believe that AMS and Zzounds are selling some of the same stock, both were heavier than advertised. I kept the second one, 9 lbs, as it was too gorgeous and played too well to send back. Overall, I find the 2014 Trad to be everything I wanted out of a Les Paul. Go for it. You might be able to get it at a much better price if you buy one used.

12276134586_da4ac142af_o.jpg

The reason I would do the payment option is because I dont have the cash to buy one.. This would be the only way to get the Les Paul I have been wanting since I was 15 years old, Im 30 now lol

Archived