Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement tuners for J-45 Standard

SycamoreDan

I recently purchased a J-45 with the Rotomatic tuners. I've heard good things about the Tonepro Klusons and plan to put those on. If you take a look at the link to the product on Amazon, would those work? Secondly, is it a direct swap, or would new holes need to be drilled?

Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/TPK-KLUSON®-BUSHING-BUTTERBEAN-BUTTON/dp/B006X0ULPK/ref=sr_1_12?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1410745640&sr=1-12&keywords=kluson+tonepro

The Grover Rotomatic has a single screw and the Kluson has two screws, so it wouldn't be a drop in swap. I like Kluson tuners, have them on a couple of Gibsons. They really hold tune. But Rotomatics are great tuners, too. In the last few years, they have gotten a bad rap - IMO unjustly. To each his own, but I'd be very slow to change out those Rotomatics - of course you didn't ask for opinions about that and may not want opinions about it. Anyway - Klusons aren't a direct drop-in replacement for Rotos.

For what it's worth, I'd say to take it to him and let him drill away. Are the Rotos original to the guitar? Have you removed one to see if there's other holes there?

Your tech is unlikely to charge you a lot for the job and it should be something he's done many times, so there's little risk. He can tell you if the change out will leave a visible footprint. The Kluson style tuners I have on my '93 J-100 are great. If that's what you want, then go for it. And remember, we like pictures! :)

I have replaced my original 'gibson" Klusons with Tonepros with the white knob.

They are good. The 'problem' with the current standard J-45 is that the pearl logo

isn't associated with the J-45 either. So, I think I would just keep the Grovers.

Almost certainly though, I would change the butter bean knobs to tulips, which is easy, inexpensive and

traditionally Gibson.

TK7901C.jpg

My complaint with the Grovers, besides the chrome buttons instead of white, is the weight! The Tonepro Klusons are A LOT lighter. I did the switchout you are considering on my Eastman ET5-SS. I also did it myself only I used the Tonepros with the nut instead of the bushing model. Pretty straightforward if you can handle taking a drill to your guitar. In some cases the Tonepro will also give you better break angle over the nut too.

Timely topic. I became frustrated with the headstock heavy imbalance with my J-45 standard.

I had my luthier change them for nickel Waverly vintage open gear tuners. New bushings were required and the washers on the front were smaller so the mark the old, larger ones left were lightly buffed away.

It plays much better now. I'm satisfied. Between the tuner swap out and removing the standard mic system, battery etc., it is a noticeably lighter guitar now too which I like.

Timely topic. I became frustrated with the headstock heavy imbalance with my J-45 standard.

I had my luthier change them for nickel Waverly vintage open gear tuners. New bushings were required and the washers on the front were smaller so the mark the old, larger ones left were lightly buffed away.

It plays much better now. I'm satisfied. Between the tuner swap out and removing the standard mic system, battery etc., it is a noticeably lighter guitar now too which I like.

let me get this straight;

while you were playing, you noticed that the guitar was too heavy at the headstock end?

Exactly. When I had the guitar sitting in my lap it meant I was correcting the tip down of the headstock end shifting the guitar angle or position further to my right and/or gripping harder with the fretting hand - not good for technique.

It is noticeably lighter at the headstock now and plays better so I'm happy. Maybe for those that use a guitar strap (either sitting or standing) it is no big deal as the strap provides that supportive lift to the headstock. I don't use one however.

The fact that the Waverlys also look great doesn't hurt. Others may not think so because it is not 'traditional' for Gibson to use them,

I also have a Martin J-40 with large, enclosed tuners that are probably as heavy as the Gibson/Grover ones but it is not noticeable as the big lower bout at the other end balances it out.

The Tonepros don't align perfectly with the existing screw hole, or at least it didn't for me. I broadened the bottom hole in the tuners to compensate for the misalignment. As you can see they have washers covering up the Grover imprints so it's not completely "accurate" but better I think, especially the weight. I also sanded down the plastic with a fine grit sand paper, as the tuners come in a more gloss finish. BTW they come in two metal finishes chrome and nickel so keep that in mind too. However, changing the tuners won't change the headstock logo though. [tongue]

Edit: having some issues uploading an image but will try and get it fixed

Nice job, Chris. Very elegant looking.

Thanks Jim! i also ordered a new pickguard from terrapin so hoping to finally get that sorted soon too. However I am considering leveling the bevel to more of a curve using sandpaper, so I'm looking into that. What's the eta on your tuners and pickguard? dying to see how it turned out I bet she will look great [thumbup]

Also guys I was thinking of gathering all j45 standard mods in an existing or new thread, as they are kinda spread in different threads. It would be nice to gather it all in one place no?

Archived