Gibson Brands Forums

Led Zeppelin's Babe I'm Going to Leave You Desecrated !

IanHenry

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a bunch of folks here got my simple discourse of the whole role-model idea wrong and think I take it way too literally...

Sorry guys, but I'm not dressed in robes kneeling behind my role models or those I consider to be role models like a devout disciple...

Look a little further beyond the typewritten text at the bigger picture.

Billy Ray and even Miley hit the whole talk-show circuit promoting themselves as some born-again Christian whole-grain goodness while she was doing Hannah Montana.

My point is they were sellin' us a bill o' goods, and if we were to have taken them at the face value of the intentions they tried to portray themselves as having, this would never have happened...

Clearly it was a teaching moment and a learning experience...

I am quite capable of learning from them without buying into their schtick/scheme... I can also find the bearshit in the buckwheat for myself...

Eric Clapton's a role model, but certainly not his cocaine, heroine, or alcohol addictions and the self-indulgent behaviors he took part in during major periods of his life and career...

Peter Green's a role model, but I'm certainly not about to disintegrate my mind and brain with acid so I can have my own Green Manalishi nightmares, and what I do learn from him also is never to ignore the signs of mental illness and again to reject the self-indulgent drug culture that ruined him and basically destroyed his life by exacerbating his mental illness with the mind altering drugs...

Football players/heroes are often role models for children because that's life, period. We look up to our favorite players and want to be like them to a normal childhood extent. Hell I loved OJ Simpson as a running back when I was young. I'm disgusted at what/who he turned out to be...

I prefer to choose my heroes with a more quality mindful discriminating taste. I didn't like the flashy headline grabbers they generally were/are scum. Dan Marino was another football hero of mine, and in the day he was the #1 draw for The Make A Wish Foundation and was a quality family man unlike many of the NFL pros that constantly made headlines... Albeit later in life he had a piss poor judgement on an affair during a mid-life crisis; shame on him. I'll not be taking that lesson to heart other than it solidifies my belief that such behavior is not only distasteful, but wrong and destroys one's credibility and diminishes their legacy to an extent...

Role models are simply a part of life, they don't mean I abandoned my responsibility and even calling as a parent, nor do they mean I take them literally about anything other than the evidence of their hard work and determination about the things that do make them successful at what they do...

I don't know why some of you guys think it means I've turned disciple/votarty/accolyte about someone because I used the term role model. That's pretty intellectually dishonest.

Miley and her dad used that term to describe themselves and that's how they promoted themselves. My point was/is; clearly it was BS...

To me though, if you say you're gonna do something, be something, and choose good things, you gotta back it up with actions and not just lip-service words...

Here new direction, which is perfectly her own liberty and prerogative simply isn't what she and her dad attempted to define her as at that earlier period in her life. It speaks to how that was nothing more than marketing and self-promotion. That is simply something I find distasteful and unworthy of our time or attention. Nothing more...

It didn't shatter me, I didn't invest in it, I certainly didn't allow my daughter to get too wrapped up in it, and it didn't harm me or my daughter in any way because I am a responsible and involved parent that cares deeply for and acts on that love for my daughter, that's why I researched, discoursed, and parsed it all out, contrary to popular pap quip...

Puh-lease gentlemen... get a grip...

And I didn't even bash her for the remake of the song, Geez...

If her new persona is what she wants out of life, God bless her... It's her choice to make, and she'll have to live with the consequences just as I'll have to live with mine for myself...

She doesn't get a dime of my money so it's her cross to bear. I couldn't care less...

To be perfectly honest with you Jim, I haven't read most of what you've written. I really can't be bothered to read five page dissertations on the importance of Hannah Montana on society.

I thought the cover was pretty good. I don't like Robert Plant singing very much. And I spend more time listening to pink than Led Zeppelin.

Archived