Gibson Brands Forums

Why Gibson uses .010's on CS-356

RickNPHX

Why does Gibson use .010's on CS-356? Will using .09's cause an issue on a CS-356? Comes with jumbo frets. Do you think that impacts what string size should be used on it? Thanks, RickNPHX

Because .010" is a more popular gauge than .009"

Some players press down hard enough on light strings to pull them out of tune on taller frets. For most players adjusting their technique makes more sense than lowering the frets.

You might need to adjust the truss rod, and the nut slots might be slightly oversize. Since Gibson usually leaves them tight, it might actually work better with nines. Usually the difference isn't going to be noticeable.

Danny W.

It's my opinion that it takes heavier gauge strings to really get the balls out of a semi (the 356 is a semi isn't it?). You can have your guitars setup to play whatever string gauges you prefer, but as I told my stepson 15 years ago:

"As you continue to get better and more experienced, you'll start using heavier strings and thicker picks!"

A couple of years ago he told me I was right.

After quite a lot of experimenting, I settled on using .010s on mine (the way they ship). I was looking for what seemed to me to be the "optimal" combination of tone and feel, and .010s seemed Just Right to me in the end. Brands of string can matter too: I like to use DR Pure Blues Nickel strings. But it's a personal thing. I agree that larger strings generally sound better than smaller ones (as they do on acoustic guitars), and I don't believe that fret size matters much to your choice.

One thing I did for a few years that worked well on mine was to "top wrap" the strings: thread the ball end into the tailpiece from the pickup side and then wrap back up and over the top of the tailpiece on the way towards the bridge and neck. The geometry is going to vary a little bit from guitar-to-guitar because of neck angles and variance in the installation and adjustment of other hardware, but doing that allowed me to lower the tailpiece without the string bottoming-out on the back edge of the bridge (a lot of that is dependent on how high your bridge and saddles are, which is dictated by preference and the neck-to-body angle). Usually I would thread another ball from an old set onto each string before insertion to keep the ball-end winds from scratching the tailpiece.

I convinced myself at the time that stringing up that way sounded better because of the lower tailpiece. It felt kind of like using something like .0095 (nine and a halfs) because I believed it felt slightly slinkier to me. Years later I decided that perhaps more downward pressure on the bridge from a steeper string angle towards the tailpiece may make for a more firm 'sonic coupling' between the strings and the body. But that could have just been my imagination! So: maybe Gibson knew what they were doing in the first place.

No matter how you set yours up, you aren't going to break it or hurt it through these small variables. I've found my 356 to be extremely responsive to little screwdriver and thumbwheel tweaks like this, sort of non-mod mods you can do before pulling out files or changing parts. Small changes to the bridge, tail, pole piece and pickup heights can make a big difference in the overall sound. And maybe even a small one in the feel. It's all just rumor and opinion, and the only one that matters is your own, so: Experiment! And count screwdriver turns if you have to so you can get back to where you started.

Good luck

It's my opinion that it takes heavier gauge strings to really get the balls out of a semi (the 356 is a semi isn't it?). You can have your guitars setup to play whatever string gauges you prefer, but as I told my stepson 15 years ago:

"As you continue to get better and more experienced, you'll start using heavier strings and thicker picks!"

I can't say that I agree with that. I generally kept my stop tail semis strung with light top heavy bottom strings, usually .010" - .054" and that always seemed perfect to me, and believe me, I tried a wide range of strings on them.

My current semis all have vibrato tailpieces and I use .011" with a wound third on most of those because I think that the tailpiece works better that way, but I do have one with a straight .010" set and it sounds fine.

I had my first stop tail ES-355 strung with Fender 50 flats, so over the years I've actually gone to much lighter strings, despite being "better and more experienced." I do use much heavier picks though [cool]

Danny W.

I like the feel of the 10's on it; I find it easy to use a light touch even if bending slightly (like just under a full step) - except they feel a bit rigid when I occasionally stretch high strings up the neck for a full step or more. I'm still recovering from injury ... may be part of it. But I have considered 009's would be better to stretch full steps+. I like .009 D'Addario's. The thing is... I don't want to loose resonance. This thing has great resonance all way across the neck, every note. I will check if tweeking angle/action, truss rod etc could make 10's feel more flexible for bending. Thanks for your feedback all. - RickNPHX

• 3 weeks later...

Larry,

I wish you had told me that too 15 years ago. Man, it's wierd how that happened. Also, I noticed that the strings changes back from mellow to bright due to the thicker pick (Dunlop Stubby 3.0 mm).

Jazz,

Archived