Gibson Brands Forums

Bad Output jack on 339 Ultra

atj13

I purchased this guitar less than 12mths ago and it has a bad output jack, the magnetic pickup jack is touchy and the plug feels looser than the nano mag jack when plugged in. Does anyone else have this issue with an ultra 339 or Les Paul Ultra?

I am in New Zealand by the way,

It may not be your jack, it could be your cord plug. Sometimes there can be "mating" problems between metric and imperial parts. A metric sized plug may not fit properly into a imperial sized 1/4" jack.

I would assume the jack on your Gibson is an American made Switchcraft. Try to find a cord with a Switchcraft plug, or American made military style plug, and see if it fits better.

Edit: PS - Now I see this post is in the "Epi" section, which are most likely built with metric spec'd parts, but my analysis of mismatched plug/jack parts still holds. Try some different cords.

I guess I should have added:

If you deem it necessary to replace the jack in the guitar, the Switchcraft #11 is the industry standard for American made guitars.

If you want to replace plugs on a guitar cord, I recommend the Switchcraft #280 straight plug, and the Switchcraft #226 for right angle applications.

thanks for this, its an Epiphone so it wont be a switchcraft jack I am afraid, took it back to the selling store today and they have to ship it somewhere for repair (warranty) , really wish I hadnt taken it there now and just had it repaired on my own dime locally. Reading the piece of paper they gave me to sign it said basically all care and no responsibility for loss or damage which I am kind of worried about now. You cant tell me that they have no comeback to their freight company if it is lost or damaged, I mean its not like they ship it for free (they bill the freight to Epiphone/Gibson or their agent). Anyways its not like they have damaged or lost it.....at this stage.

took it back to the selling store today and they have to ship it somewhere for repair (warranty) , really wish I hadnt taken it there now and just had it repaired on my own dime locally.

Yeah, sometimes that "free" warranty repair isn't worth the time/trouble. FWIW, and for future use, I got one of these in my Santa stocking a couple of years ago. Invaluable.

http://www.amazon.com/JackTight-Electric-Guitar-Output-Repair/dp/B0062OJV0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411170066&sr=8-1&keywords=jack+tight

And hopefully all turns out well for you.

Archived