Gibson Brands Forums

Help with pups

lazarusvt84

Look like Burstbuckers to me. The cavity wiring is pretty awful. Looks like someone before you installed them. If it were me, I'd gut it and start frest with a set of pups I liked and new pots and wiring. RS Guitarworks makes some great pre-wired harnesses if you want to make it easier on yourself.

I had an H575 that I got I think in 1998 or 99, and my buddy has a Heritage that he's had from around the same time, and I think they came stock with Schaller pickups. I think Heritage eventually switched to Duncans, I can't be sure when. I would think these might not be stock, and based on your photos, it doesn't look like factory wiring either.

They might be '57 Classics as well!

57 Classics are usually labeled as such. And they are never numbered like Burstbuckers which come in #1, #2, and #3 models of various outputs.

Verifying with a multi-meter is always a good idea. However, in this case if they are Burstbuckers the #3 should measure 8.4kΩ and the #2 7.4kΩ. Classics are supposed to be 7.5kΩ and Classic Plus 8.3kΩ so there is a pretty fine line of distinction there.

Thanks Gents. They sounded awful at first......particular the low E which sounded very muddy...almost unintelligible as though the string (new) was old/dead. I did some research and lowered the pup quite a bit to supposedly improve clarity, and raised the low E, and A poles to get back some output and it cleaned up amazingly nice. A keeper for now.

Archived