Gibson Brands Forums

Show us your Les Paul Guitars

4Hayden

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have only owned 1 Les paul in my life

It was purchased new in 1982.

I ordered a Les Paul standard, but check the the neck out.

Maple, like a custom. Thanks Norlin. I really didn't know the difference back then.

That's my cat KC that passed a few years ago at the age of 15. He loved hanging with me and he played a lil guitar himself. :D I miss that cat.

I still have the guitar, and it's been with me for 33 years. I have an SG Standard that's been with me for 35 years.

DCP_1104_zpsi8vdkxhw.jpg

DCP_1105_zps3mb4ll4b.jpg

Here's a few photos of my Les Pauls. A few are duplicates, but I think this covers all (12) of them.

Wow! That is one amazing collection Grog. [thumbup]

I take it you like low impedance pick ups?! Do I see a Personal, Professional & a Recording? Also, I think that is the first Les Paul Signature & Les Paul Jumbo I've seen on here. Very, very, very cool.

I take it you like low impedance pick ups?! Do I see a Personal, Professional & a Recording? Also, I think that is the first Les Paul Signature & Les Paul Jumbo I've seen on here. Very, very, very cool.

Correct on all accounts............ I started out with a Les Paul Triumph bass, over the course of about twenty plus years, it sort of grew. I just picked up the last piece this spring, a 1973 L-5S. The only Gibson low impedance guitar that isn't a Les Paul. The last photo is a 1973 Les Paul Recording & a 2013 Les Paul Recording II (Iridium). The original & reissue are 40 years apart..........

Correct on all accounts............ I started out with a Les Paul Triumph bass, over the course of about twenty plus years, it sort of grew. I just picked up the last piece this spring, a 1973 L-5S. The only Gibson low impedance guitar that isn't a Les Paul. The last photo is a 1973 Les Paul Recording & a 2013 Les Paul Recording II (Iridium). The original & reissue are 40 years apart..........

Ah yes, I saw those Recording II reissues when they came out. They look and sound fantastic, but sadly I didn't have enough funds to buy one at the time. Eventually I'll pick up a vintage Recording, Personal or Professional as they have been on my list of guitars I'd like to own for years. I found this Recording recently and debated buying it, but it's missing the pickguard, has non original tuners and part of the split diamond headstock inlay has been replaced. I'd like one in a bit better condition if possible, still it's a nice example. Also, I'm after another archtop at the moment, so it got pushed down the list for the time being [smile]

http://guitarvillage.uk.com/product/16378-118/Gibson-Les-Paul-Recording-Natural-Pre-Owned-197172-VG.aspx

Have you done any videos or recording with any of your Gibsons?

Ah yes, I saw those Recording II reissues when they came out. They look and sound fantastic, but sadly I didn't have enough funds to buy one at the time. Eventually I'll pick up a vintage Recording, Personal or Professional as they have been on my list of guitars I'd like to own for years. I found this Recording recently and debated buying it, but it's missing the pickguard, has non original tuners and part of the split diamond headstock inlay has been replaced. I'd like one in a bit better condition if possible, still it's a nice example. Also, I'm after another archtop at the moment, so it got pushed down the list for the time being [smile]

http://guitarvillage.uk.com/product/16378-118/Gibson-Les-Paul-Recording-Natural-Pre-Owned-197172-VG.aspx

Have you done any videos or recording with any of your Gibsons?

Even though the Les Paul Recording II looks similar, it is really quite different. The pickups are high impedance converted to low impedance with a Jensen transformer. The one you were looking at looks to be a first year model. It has an ABR bridge, most have a Schaller harmonica bridge. I really haven't tried recording them in good equipment yet. I've been playing my Triumph bass more lately, but in high impedance. Here is video that was posted in the "Low Impedance Club" of the Vintage section.

Even though the Les Paul Recording II looks similar, it is really quite different. The pickups are high impedance converted to low impedance with a Jensen transformer. The one you were looking at looks to be a first year model. It has an ABR bridge, most have a Schaller harmonica bridge. I really haven't tried recording them in good equipment yet. I've been playing my Triumph bass more lately, but in high impedance. Here is video that was posted in the "Low Impedance Club" of the Vintage section.

Thanks for the video, that Personal is a beauty...and I didn't know that about the Rec II's pickups & Jensen transformer. While I was watching the Personal video I noticed this one for the Professional - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tmkqk6uM-Y, you may have seen it before?...It's strange they weren't more popular, because the range of tones they can produce is far beyond most other Les Pauls, plus I like the slightly larger body and I love the Walnut finish on them. I'll head over to the Vintage Section and take a look at that thread you mentioned. Thanks.

For a long while I thought I had lost the nicer, more accurate, snaps of my Lesters but by chance came upon this nigh-on two year old post so thought I'd cut'n'paste to do my charges justice;

"I wasn't 100% happy with the accuracy of the colours I captured last summer (post #3) so, FWIW, I took some newer ones just now but indoors as the weather is so shite outside.

The colours here are MUCH more accurate as to how they look in a normal not-100%-sunshine situation - especially the HCSB '93 R9 which looked pink in the other snaps!

Here are the usual suspects, in date order, yet again;........"

TreaclePortraitFramedlo-res_zps4b6e9240.jpg

JamPortraitFramedlo-res_zpse52607ad.jpg

MarmaladePortraitframedlo-res_zps71bdee6d.jpg

HoneyPortraitFramedlo-res_zpsec6b3780.jpg

P.

• 2 weeks later...

For a long while I thought I had lost the nicer, more accurate, snaps of my Lesters but by chance came upon this nigh-on two year old post so thought I'd cut'n'paste to do my charges justice;

"I wasn't 100% happy with the accuracy of the colours I captured last summer (post #3) so, FWIW, I took some newer ones just now but indoors as the weather is so shite outside.

The colours here are MUCH more accurate as to how they look in a normal not-100%-sunshine situation - especially the HCSB '93 R9 which looked pink in the other snaps!

Here are the usual suspects, in date order, yet again;........"

TreaclePortraitFramedlo-res_zps4b6e9240.jpg

JamPortraitFramedlo-res_zpse52607ad.jpg

MarmaladePortraitframedlo-res_zps71bdee6d.jpg

HoneyPortraitFramedlo-res_zpsec6b3780.jpg

P.

Those are so nice. Classic and beautiful.

-Frank

Archived