Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Texan - let's see yours

mojoworking

Those saddles were rosewood, and they're actually rather common.

My '66 Epi Cortez has one, which at some point will be switched out with a ceramic saddle taken off my old & gone '65 Gibson B-25 (just for an experiment).

Wow, I've never seen a saddle that wasn't some variation of white bone, ceramic or plastic on 60s Epiphone (and Gibson) acoustics

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After saying I'd never seen an Epiphone with a black saddle only 24 hours ago, I found this beautiful original '63 Texan on eBay today.

Hush my mouth

T2eC16RHJGE9nm3qW4eBQLWzNLmvw60_571_zps7f27d1d5.jpg

I checked it out on ebay. Some of the sellers of the original Texans are asking Martin-like prices for their Texans. Oh course prices are judged by whatever the market can bear, but do you think the prices are justified?

I checked it out on ebay. Some of the sellers of the original Texans are asking Martin-like prices for their Texans. Oh course prices are judged by whatever the market can bear, but do you think the prices are justified?

Are the prices justified? Hell No!! Unless they were played by Sir Paul, or any other famous musician, and you can prove it was then how can you justify 7 or 8 grand.

I like the looks of the IB64 Texans better. The darker bridge and fretboard combo just looks so good to me.

I'm guessing the Indonesian Epis have had their fretboards and bridges stained to achieve a uniform dark color. My EL-00 Pro looks exactly the same, as does every other one I've seen in person thus far. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but most likely it has little to do with the selection of wood.

Personally, I find the rosewood on that '63 Texan to be quite beautiful, and just right for that guitar - it all depends on a combination of visual cues throughout the instrument. Sometimes I think an ebony board looks perfect, other times a lighter rosewood can look really nice. We are fortunate to have so many choices!

• 2 weeks later...

Can't speak highly enough of my IB Texan. Cost me £300GBP and the tone and build quality is staggering regardless of the cost. I have a Martin 00-15 which i thought took some beating, but I hardly play it now.

Just a staggeringly good guitar!

My experience as well. Do you have the factory saddle and nut on yours?

My experience as well. Do you have the factory saddle and nut on yours?

Yes I do. In fact apart from a string change I haven't had to do a thing to it, nor would I want to. It's just so good and perfect for me. As a fingerpicker I was sceptical. It was purchased as a 'backup' to the Martin, but is gradually taking over as my main guitar. Everyone who plays it loves it. Enough said. You seem pretty pleased with yours as well.

Yes I do. In fact apart from a string change I haven't had to do a thing to it, nor would I want to. It's just so good and perfect for me. As a fingerpicker I was sceptical. It was purchased as a 'backup' to the Martin, but is gradually taking over as my main guitar. Everyone who plays it loves it. Enough said. You seem pretty pleased with yours as well.

I've been floored by my Texan since I bought it in June. It was built in Indonesia in Feb 2014. It is a phenomenal guitar...completely rock solid, with beautiful tone and off the charts sustain.

If my "new" 2006 Epi J-45 plays as good when I get it back early next month, it'll be tough deciding which one to play!

I wonder why they are making IB's at both the Indonesian(I suspect Samick) and Chinese plants??? I thought Epiphone moved EVERYTHING to Qing Dao China?

I still have to post my incredible cherryburst Indo IB 64' Texan pics!Bought refurbished for 329.00 and apparently nothing is amiss. Bob Colosi's custom bone saddle really upped the volume and clarity too. Will post soon.

I wonder why they are making IB's at both the Indonesian(I suspect Samick) and Chinese plants??? I thought Epiphone moved EVERYTHING to Qing Dao China?

I still have to post my incredible cherryburst Indo IB 64' Texan pics!Bought refurbished for 329.00 and apparently nothing is amiss. Bob Colosi's custom bone saddle really upped the volume and clarity too. Will post soon.

their Qing Dao factory doesn't make any acoustics (they did for a short time a few years back). Epiphone still uses Samick in Indonesia, some other factories in China, and some are still make in Korea. Elitists still in Japan.

Archived