Gibson Brands Forums

Whats the differance between es335 and es339 studios

buliwyf

With all the sale pricing on most Gibson guitars I was looking over at American Musical and noticed a double cutaway black ES339 studio with a single PU a dirty fingers plus.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-ES39X-MBNH1

Then I bumped into what I thought was the same guitar but it was an ES335 studio, same thing in the same black or dark blue colors as the ES339. Single Dirty fingers plus PU,Am I missing something with the dark pictures,Whats the differnce?

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-ESST-EBBT1

I just noticed the 335 has a trap tail piece is that it for differance.BTW check out the video of the provided where it says video and doc's.

The biggest difference is the size, the 339 being the smaller.

That said, now there's a free for all depending on which model of what, when, that I'd not care to even try to keep up with.

Generally, though, the smaller body with less "air" in the wings would be more LP-like, the larger body more "hollowbody" like.

Another factor is that of player comfort. That alone, IMHO, makes as much or more difference in how a guitar sounds than a lot of price tag factors. That's a matter of player geometry given his/her playing style and the angles of the body in relation to a given guitar size and shape.

m

Thanks milod I bumped into these while deceiding which LP to buy.I was down to either a Studio a Studio plus or a Futura.As I said I just happened to see the ES single PU guitars and liked the tone of the ES-339 a lot and the darkness of the guitar.Could you tell me which one is the smaller body and would have the more LP like tone. I'm pretty happy that i have a little extra cash (it's been a long time) so i'm trying to be careful that what I buy is right for me. i like to play all types of music but mostly I'm a left over from the early 80's to mid 90's hard rock,heavy metal scene. Played in a lot of biker bars years ago mostly on a Les Paul,I really love there tone.

So youd be talking about the 339 studio mk1....

Do you know that theres a 2 pickup version out this year (or was it last year :-k ) (which I think is way nicer)

Epiphone has one out with a pair of P90s in it this year. Because of this 175 sitting here I will definitely give their version of a P90'd 339 a whack. Pelham Blue maybe. Black. Not sure.

rct

I have both,in Epiphone brand,but I have the 335 and the 339. The 339 to me is much more comfortable to play for longer periods due to its size. The 335 does have more of a woody,open,hollow body type sound than the 339 does. it is present in the 339 ,but much more in your face with the 335. Both are great guitars,even the Epiphone models. I think the hollow and semi hollow Epiphones are some top notch guitars and a real bargain for the $.

Archived