Gibson Brands Forums

Thread Title Deleted by Author

SoundMaster

Well...it's not any worse, than most "molded" cases. :rolleyes: Not the traditional, or CS case,

for sure! But, it may offer better protection? Who knows?

CB

Yep, they're claiming 15' drop safe. I really am gonna miss seeing a case and knowing what's inside. It just feels like they're cutting costs even further. If you don't have to make different cases for each model it's much cheaper.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am totally taken aback at Gibson and the fact that they think that innovation means completely deviating from their "roots" so to speak with all these changes to ALL models! Sure we are gonna moan about this or that, or that they didn't do this or that, that is human nature somewhat, and yes Gibson can't win...but they can't win in spite of themselves. When you think innovation means forgetting where you came from and what your customers want, or you forget about one and completely go after another type of customer you have in my opinion lost your base customer, the loyal customer so to speak. Why not leave certain models alone, they are loved for what they are and what they have been for decades upon decades now, they don't need changed, they don't need innovation, they have arrived since 1959 more or less. If you want to try to appease the newer folks with this G Force mini E tune crap, or any of the other electronic crap, that many do not like, do it on specific runs NOT the entire line! As someone stated that Death Bed LP signiture is plain and simple hideous, and the ridicoulous hologram on the back, yet it is on every model...unbelievable, and unbelievable that Gibson thinks this IS appealing and paying respect to Lester???!!! Then the wider fretboard...really?! Some have already said it is again unbelievable in and of itself in as far as playability. Zero Fret nut, the only thing that possible is innovation at best, and may be a decent thing as well, that is to be seen, but even this has been reported as looking as cheap made, and again, this should not have been on every model either. The no screw Pick guard, innovation, again to be determined and if it works good fine, but still, every model. Innovation doesn't mean a thing if you do not have quality and control. And last but not least price increase...seems if Gibson is trying to push the USA brand to an overseas market, that way good ol Henry and such can make max profit off of cheap labor and if you want a real made in the USA Lester or Gibson you have to spend mega bucks and go the Historic route via Custom Shop. Sorry so negative but I just find it amazing that Gibson/Henry are trying to change something that doesn't need changed at all. Instruments aren't Harley's and they aren't automobiles. I also find it funny all the folks that were so against the 12th fret inlay now don't think it looks all that bad, and whats even more funny is once they get past that it doesn't look that bad they actually realize that the 2014 are for most part some very good instruments! I will say that if one was to overlook that death bed LP signature & hologram, do away with the G Force and install tuners, somehow manage to get used to the wider fretboard and the zero nut, there are some amazing and beautiful Gibson's to be had...still from 2015. I can somewhat understand how folks didn't like the 12th fret inlay, truthfully I never cared for it either but it isn't a bad design and hardly noticeable and when it is not in a bad way...NOT however like the death bed LP signature is. Personally I am not in for any 2015 model at all. There were some other 2014's if I had the funds I'd like to have had like the 120th Flying V and Explorer, and that in my view was innovation bringing back even if a limited run, models that were removed from regular production line. Sorry long winded I will step down from the proverbial soap box now...Good Day!:rolleyes:

I saw a 2015 Studio at GC yesterday. Really nice blue finish on it. Had the new nut, wider neck, logo, tuner, etc., and I would have tried it but it was totally unplayable.

From what the tech told me, as soon as the auto tuner ... e-tuner ... whatever you want to call it, even starts to sense that the battery could be starting to get a low charge, it goes out of whack and completely loosens all of the strings. Not one or two just a little bit, but all of them completely loose. A couple of them were hanging off the side of the neck. The model they had was laying on the techs' table, 6 strings loose and flopping in the breeze, so to speak.

Pretty sad that this is a wholsesale change, and glad I got my new Trad when I did.

I'm already looking towards the 2016 lineup...[biggrin]

I'm already looking at used instruments, and have been for a few years. If there's something anyone wants, then you better make a move now before the used market demand starts going up and prices respond accordingly.

Well ridiculous price increase aside...I'm not fond (at all) of the tendency

away from the "traditions" that Gibson is KNOWN for! You want to experiment,

with other ideas...great. BUT, leave the traditional models alone, with ALL

the traditional appointments! Changing the logo, alone, on a "Les Paul" is

sacrilege! [scared][cursing] And...uckinfugly, too! [scared][crying]

CB

Very, VERY well said CB.

I'm actually IN SHOCK. LEAVE THE TRADITIONAL LINE ALONE.

My 2014 Heritage Cherry Sunburst is OUTSTANDING. Why Gibson has RUINED a GREAT thing is beyond comprehension.

Perhaps the 2016 Traditional will be the Grandaddy of them all.

Please Gibson DON'T ruin a good thing.

MississippiBlue

I think the development of the traditional(and trad pro, etc) lineup is their justification for all the other models going flying off the rails in terms of their new approach... And I appreciate the traditional lineup for what it is... But to lose the soul of the rest of the les Paul lineup as the cost... AND jacking up the prices to near unobtainable... they're more concerned with their bottom line as it pertains to shareholders, not customers. They've gone the way of the corporate stooge.

Has anyone seen the Les Paul -"less". ?

Yup, it's like the Custom Lite they did the other year...the LP "Less" is kinda like a Standard done 2014 Melody Maker style in terms of thickness.

I guess it's developed for the players who don't like Les Pauls because they are too heavy! No such thing as an LP that is too heavy, I say make them double the thickness (just kidding) [tongue]

I agree. "Case included" takes a major additional cost and hassle out of the picture. [thumbup]

Now, if they'd only include pick guards on all these guitars! [-X

Still mulling over the LP Special. I suppose I've got plenty of time time to decide... :lol:

All the Les Pauls do come with pickguards. They are detachable and don't use screws. They are shown on one of the Gibson utube vids on the new 2015 lineup.

I guess you could put putty in the imprinted logo, then put a 'Squier' sticker over it if you so desired to make it less of a thieves target!!

I don't mind the new case, but it's a shame it is not more vintage looking like the Fender Tweed cases which look great.

The new Gibson case looks more like an amphibious landing crrr' case...but I guess that ties in with the new supreme power of the GForce unit.

I was looking forward to the 2015 line up with baited breath. And wow what a let down....If others like them that's all good, but to me they are the fugliest I've ever seen. The logo is just horrendous, don't know much about the brass nut, but don't care for that look either. Add the damned robot tuners I thought we were done with. Again, if it's your gig, great get a guitar with it, but don't G-force it down my throat! And the huge price increase...well, I'm sad to say 2014 looks to be the last year I will buy a new Les Paul, atleast until they come to their senses. If you want to try new things that's great, but don't try them on the flag ship models and give us a choice on whether we get one with or WITHOUT the robot tuners...One sad puppy.

The logo change looks amateurish and cheap how could any group of marketing people approve it, more importantly it calls the present CEO's decision making in question! I will not be buying a new Gibson this year in protest of the Logo. The new zero nut may be ok I haven't tried one yet. Not giving buyers the options on the G Force tuner is another bad decision IMHO.

I agree with almost everything here.....the 2015 models are a big mistake. Even if the price increase was a reasonable 5% or so the enforced changes over the whole range are unacceptable, so the major price hike just puts the last nail in the coffin. Some people will like the changes, some people will comfortably be able to afford the new price BUT they will be very few in number.

Gibson should forget the cheap crappy guitars they have made recently and leave that end of the market to Epiphone, who do it better (after all, the profit ends up in the same corporate hands).

Instead they should have two basic lines. One Traditional (the Les Paul we're all used to), and one Innovative (to try out new ideas), and give both a range of finish options. Leave everything else to the Custom shop (especially the high prices).

After the 2015 farce I reckon the new 2016 guitars will be a return to old values (preferably with a price drop, yeah thats going to happen!)

Gibson should re-release the best Les Paul they have made - the 2008 Standard, with the Tone Pros bridge and stoptail, locking tuners, jack plug lock, chambered body and some great finishes.

Used 2008 Les Paul Standards are already attracting premium prices, so the 2015 models are just going to encourage an upward trend in used Gibson pricing. Bad news for anyone looking to buy, and bad news for Gibson as Gibson owners will become fewer in number as the desert Gibson for other brands.

I agree. I will no longer be able (or willing for that matter) to purchase anything but a used Gibson. I still love Les Pauls and Gibsons in general but real Les Pauls are no longer being made. I am angry about being forced to pay extra for the rebranded MinEtunes. I refuse to have any Gibson with Les Paul's palsied deathbed signature on it. I think it's an insult to his memory. Now, If I could possibly afford one of the new guitars I have to shell out money for new tuners and then try to sell the ridiculous G Force nonsense on Ebay in order to recoup part of the loss. The lowest blow is that Gibson has priced themselves out of the reach of most musicians. But I guess wealthy collectors who wish to decorate their walls with forever changing limited editions along with their Bradford Exchange and Franklin Mint crap will be ecstatic.

It is also interesting that I went to my local Guitar Center the other day to look at acoustics. And guess what? G Force or whatever on a high end Gibson acoustic! What next? What was a revelation that shouldn't have been a surprise is that of the Quality of the Gibson acoustics was dead last place in comparison to Martins and Taylors. And it wasn't even close. The Epiphones actually looked as good if not better. R.I.P Gibson. Your days are numbered.

This past summer I went to my local guitar store to purchase either a J 15 or J 29 wanted to play both before making up my mind

While I was waiting for them to get the j-29 from the back i picked up an Epiphone hummingbird

The epiphone sounded just as good as the gibsons so I bought it

It might not last as long as a Gibson but at the price I paid It made sense to the pocket book

The robo tuner is the least of your worries on 2015 man Im not buying any myself.

They will figure it out and make production models geared towards the old fellas. Its stupid not to, sure innovate and experiment but there is a whole flock of old cats buying guitars every year. Im a paying member of the club registered 8 times over and there are cats on here that got over 20 membership passes to this little club. I have over 1600 friends on facebook most are guitar players. I only know two that are happy about the robo tuner and thats great, give them to them hell give them mine too Matter fact I plan on it ;). Just remember the old fellas buying a Les Paul and an SG a year. I been buying the same model of Les Paul for 40 years and I say if you want everyone's money then cater to everyone, make the Classic classic and the Traditional traditional get everybody's money not just the kid that needs his guitar tuned and needs a programmed amp to achieve a sound. Dont forget the cats that made it possible thats still lining his wall with Les Pauls to blast through his Marshall.

Well said Donny. Thankfully I have a bevy of Les Paul's to keep me more then happy and get me through 2015 :) Even if I could get over the tuners, and I can't, ( I did try one, sent it back after 2 days), there is that logo that seemingly Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles said, that looks good, go with it! Add the price increase and, and, and...Well as I stated in another post, I really want a '59 re issue, and since I WON'T be buying a 2015 model, this is a good time to save for one :) Have a great day!

Archived