Gibson Brands Forums

Changing machine heads--Any advice?

Wee Davy

Maybe it's because my ears are old and my hearing isn't what it was in my teens but I haven't noticed any difference in tone at all.

I just prefer the look. I've never been a fan of the Rotomatic design.

Funny, I recently went the other way by having Waverly nickel butterbean style open back vintage tuners on my J-45. MUCH better weight balance and, weirdly, noticeably better tone. I first thought " Ahh, the luthier put new strings on" but the existing strings were still quite new and he put on exactly the same type again. Go figure...

I have also suspected that a somewhat neck heavy instrument is a good thing - even going so far in the past as to insert a fishing weight into the truss rod cavity of a guitar or two. Can't specifically recall sonic differences, but my armchair belief is that some instruments can benefit from the extra weight.

I had to try this ... my 12-year old son was surprised, when I asked him to give me (no fisherman) some of his fishing weights : -) - He said for how long? I said forever, and he won´t find them. I showed him, and after some laughing he was delighted to help me with my guitar. We managed to put quite a lot of those little lead balls into the cavity. I think it did make a sound difference, but the weights rattled noticably as I was moving the guitar around, so I took them out. maybe I´ll try again with some larger lead pieces.

Archived