Gibson Brands Forums

Mahogany Top J-45

Red 333

Not sure why they'd do this. Because they can I suppose. If I wanted an all hog Gibson I'd buy an LGO. Alas, I don't want an all hog Gibson.

There were quite a few all-mahogany J-45 and LG-2 models built during WW2 (banner Gibsons), since there was a shortage of instrument-grade spruce. The Gibson banner guitar registry lists a surprising number.

I haven't played one of these, so I don't know how they compare.

That's why they make vanilla and chocolate. Red, the hog-topped J-45's would be well worth your curiosity... the two all-mahogany dreads I'm familiar with (the Martin D-15, and the J-45) have one big thing in common: they excel at pounding out some serious chord chunking. While it still can be a singer songwriter-y J-45 all day long, the mahogany top adds a quality of warmth to the sound. But that warmth comes at a price in the form of it's tendency to "load up" when played with intensity. This can be used to some advantage, but is kind of the opposite of a dry sounding vintage blues box that allows the player to keep digging in for more and more punch and volume. It's a great sound for solid rhythm chords, and could be at home doing the rhythm guitar parts on 1940's standards.

Too bad Gibson chose to differentiate the above Sweetwater linked guitar with a stain finish, but the other makers are selling similarly finished models, so why not try for some of those sales?

Hopefully, you can a/b a mahogany topped J-45 next to a spruce topped one- who knows; maybe you'll be using one of these this upcoming holiday season for another one of your sublime Christmas song videos : ) .

I'd be interested in hearing/playing this model. I wonder if the tone would warmer than that of my standard J45. I like the way my J45 feels and plays, and along with the tone it's pretty tough to beat. If I found something as playable with even more warmth, I'd be very interested in it. Gibson does endless variations of the J45, Hummingbird, J200. I'm not a fan of all of them, but I imagine the vast majority are "killer" guitars.

I played one Banner with a mahogany top that somebody wanted to know if I was interested in. Even though I could have snagged it for about as cheap as I had ever seen a Banner go I passed. I much preferred the red spruce top guitars. But I would imagine mahogany is similar to Koa in that there will be a whole lot of variation in sound. While one guitar may be totally uninspiring the next might just get your juices flowing.

These actually sound good. a little warmer than spruce but no not bad. I would say that to my ear, they retain more clarity and top end than a Martin D15.

Your last post as a single guy, or you gonna squeeze a few more in? 😋

I fear playing one, for want of buying one. I loved the sound of a hog-topped new LG I played this past year.

I also have several 15 series, including my D15M I bought 4 years ago; I love it. The hog top makes for a generally warm sound. You do lose top end sparkle, but you gain warmth and fatness for chords and blues.

Buy it Red! And know there is a great chance that if you don't like it, I - or a dope like me- will take it off your hands :)

These actually sound good. a little warmer than spruce but no not bad. I would say that to my ear, they retain more clarity and top end than a Martin D15.

These have scalloped bracing, the D-15 has standard bracing. I once tried a D-17 & a D-15, side by side. There was a huge difference, in tone. The D-17 had scalloped bracing too. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the tone of the 15 series.

I played one this past week at Wildwood Guitars in Colorado.

Nicely put together and sounded like a "softer" version of a standard J-45.

If I did not have my sights set on a J-185, I would have taken the J45 home.

A very nice guitar, just do not expect a banjo killer.

Archived