Gibson Brands Forums

New Paul

Carmine457

I was once told by a wise man, that if you don't have pictures of it, then it's just a unicorn. If I was setting up a guitar for those very different styles, my guitar would be set up with low action and the pups would be low in the rings. I don't do metal or Jazz, but from your equipment list in your sig, you should be able to play any of those genres. I don't use pedals, except for a tubes screamer. Some of the other folks here should have some good advice for you.

I'm not judgemental, I'm just crotchety and narrow minded.

Hey man... it should work fine for all of that without any modification, les paul studio is suited for almost all kinds of stuff... the main difference would be (deppending on the player as there are no actual rules) the action: some jazz players preffer higher strings while some metal players preffer lower strings ... I play a little of everything (mostly heavy metal and other types of metal) but prefer my strings at "normal height" not too high, not too low (will try to post some pics soon), as said before, there is no "rule", some metal players like high strings and some jazz players like low action.

Talking pedals... by "status" you mean the positioning? If so I will post a chart with pedal positions as they are meant to be placed, you can play with them from there and see what you like better.

Here it is, hope it helps

Dibujo-1.jpg

hey guys i just got a new Les Paul Studio in White with Gold hardware and i was wundering what is the best way to set it up for Jazz' date=' metal, and alternative. (i would also like to know the status my amp and peddles should be in too)

thx guys[/quote']

Set it up however it feels best for you. When it comes to styles of music and one guitar, it really boils down to your playing style and amp. No single amp is going to give you the best of all those diverse styles; you could probably get reasonable sounds for all if not ideal, but certainly a Les Paul can be used for all those styles.

sweet thx guys i dont know bout people rippin on me (i didnt notice), Littlekenny i dont know i just put it there (is there a problem... then dont bring it up), thanks for the diagram thundergod, that really helped, and guitar slinger yes i do play jazz (blues), metal (black, death, heavy) and alternative (emo, grunge). kinda far fetched i know... i also play music like Men at work

Anyway, guiding by your signature seems like you have some stuff to chose from when you want to play any given style... for example that jackson kelly for metal... I own one and though I hate the neck, they are nice for metal. Now a Gibson, a gibson is GREAT for anything, not just nice.

Which kelly do you have man? I have one in crinsom swirl (rr3) that is actually for sale right now, to match a rr3 in crinsom swirl I sold last week.

I play Classic Rock, Blues, Motown, Classic Country, Modern Country, Bluegrass, Nugrass, Folk, Jazz, and DOUBLE AUGHT.

Who cares?

I do wonder how you ain't figured it out yet. Less is more.

Best to ya.

Murph.

I'm not saying it just for the skills that the guitar player has got to grow to play all that stuff, but also the audience. Is kinda hard to find people interested both in jazz, metal and alternative.

Usually the people who goes to metal gigs (let's say, at a football stadium) are too god damned restricted to watch some jazz/alternative gig. I don't know how it works o your neighborhood, though.

Anyway, I play everything from to Classic rock to Blues to Alternative, and my amp settings are very simple. I KEEP THEM THE SAME. All you need for different styles (with the exception of Norwegian zombie speed metal) is to keep your amp on one channel and fiddle (twiddle?) around with your volume / tone controls. Since both your LPs are Gibson, they should be very responsive and give you a diverse range of tones.

Maybe I am a little in the "jesse" side (stupid hehehe) but I have never worried about this kind of stuff... I play whatever want to play with whatever guitar and amp I preffer at the time, the one thing I dont like (but would do if the situation called to it) was play metal with a stock standard tele/strat.

I've played a little of everything with my lester (and with most guitars I own/have owned).

I've played metal mith the ac30 and with a twin reverb and with a 70s princeton (with pepdals in front).

I've played jazz and latin stuff with a marshall jcm 900 and with a peavey valveking.

I've played lots of stuff using stomp boxes, multifx, or just the amp and guitar.

Goddamnit I've used a metal zone and a metal muff pedal for latin music, jazz and blues.

I am saying this so that you note that a) guitars/pedals/amps dont always do as advertised; B) guitars/pedals/amps are not only good for what they were designed for. You'll have to play and find what you like for yourself, you'll have to try different aproaches to stuff and learn from your errors. We can provide a little help but cant decide what you like for you.

I would like to see pics of that WHITE VOS 59 reissue...

(maybe a custom job? who knows... that thing might even be cooler than Raptor's blue marvel!)

i'll believe that when me **** turns purple and smells of rainbow sherbet lol

Archived