Gibson Brands Forums

Results for poll on who was you biggest influence

brc

We started the poll on Sept 24th, thought we would let it run for 4 or 5 days.

These are the results as of 09/28

Now of course there are many more guitar players that have influenced many players, but we chose the players that were named the most in this 5 day poll

Bob Mould <came in 3rd>

George Harrison,<came in 2nd>

But the player that influenced more players in this poll,

Eric Clapton <came in 1st>

This was just for fun, and I am sure if we ran the poll longer, the results could be different.

Total of 59 posts.

Some people even though they posted,did not name an artist.

Then again, some people named two, three, or even more.

That was the reason it was asked to name one artist.

I am suprised myself in the results, but I only counted the artist that was named the most.

No reason to complain, it just for fun, and I really dont care who came in 1st 2nd or 3rd. I only posted the results over a 5 day poll.

I also have to add Bob who? and also add as im sure there will be a few complaints.What happened to Jimmy Page and how many people voted.

Of corse, to be accurate there has to be statistics as far as what demographic is likely to vote, who is in jail, what color they are and how likely they are to be beat up by cops while protesting for sticking up for what demographic and sexual preference they have (an opinion about) while listening to certain types of music in different parts of the country.

And age groups.

Of corse, to be accurate there has to be statistics as far as what demographic is likely to vote, who is in jail, what color they are and how likely they are to be beat up by cops while protesting for sticking up for what demographic and sexual preference they have (an opinion about) while listening to certain types of music in different parts of the country.

And age groups.

EXACTLY !! Good point, Where do you draw the line. It could go on for ever.It was only for fun. Sure did not think it would be taken so serious.

And age groups.

This made me literally lol.

Thanks for that.

The thing I always loved about George Harrison (and, The Beatles, in general) was

his/their constant forward movement, never doing the same thing twice! Always

progressing. And, George's guitar work was always "perfect" FOR THE SONG(s)! Never

too much, never too little. But, you could say that about Paul and John's guitar

work, as well. They ALL had great taste, and economy! IMHO, as always. [biggrin]

George's guitar work/style was influence by many, but still his own. His later "Slide"

work was beautiful, and quite unique, as well. And, I loved his use of "naughty chords,"

(augmented, diminished, etc.), as well. His writing was excellent, as well...when he

was allowed to contribute. Some of my favorite "Beatles" tunes, are George's...right

back to "Don't Bother Me!" He was very astute, and intropective right from the beginning.

CB

Bob who…???

I also have to add Bob who? and also add as im sure there will be a few complaints.What happened to Jimmy Page and how many people voted.

You cats need to get out more. Bob's been making noise and tearing up stages since the late seventies, first with the incredibly influential (both musically and for the independent label movement of the 80s/90s) Hüsker Dü, later with Sugar, and for the past 15 years or so solo. If you get a chance to see him live, do not pass it up. At 54 he makes other musicians look like panty-weight rookies.

. But, you could say that about Paul and John's guitar

work, as well. They ALL had great taste, and economy! IMHO, as always. [biggrin]

George's guitar work/style was influence by many, but still his own.

CB

I realize that the Beatles was still a "guitar" based band, and it is natural to look to the guitar player as "the" influence, but really I think in Mr. Harrisons case he even gets less credit than he would normally get.

I say that because whatever the other guys did as far as guitar work, most of that came from the influence and ability of Harrison. It's subtle but then it's not.

You can tell when you compare the solo records of all 3. Then the Harrison-ness of the Beatles really sticks into it.

It's easy to admire the songwriting in a band like the Beatles, and easy to overlook the performance and abilities of the musicians that perform and translate the work. It's just as significant here, in my super-humble opinion.

I realize that the Beatles was still a "guitar" based band, and it is natural to look to the guitar player as "the" influence, but really I think in Mr. Harrisons case he even gets less credit than he would normally get.

I say that because whatever the other guys did as far as guitar work, most of that came from the influence and ability of Harrison. It's subtle but then it's not.

You can tell when you compare the solo records of all 3. Then the Harrison-ness of the Beatles really sticks into it.

It's easy to admire the songwriting in a band like the Beatles, and easy to overlook the performance and abilities of the musicians that perform and translate the work. It's just as significant here, in my super-humble opinion.

These last few post are really what the original post was about.

There is no right or wrong answer, if some no-name player is who influenced you, then great.

Myself it was Joe Maphis, but he was only named twice in the poll. But it makes no difference to me, he was the one who got me interested and wanting to play back in the 50s.

I don't know if total lack of knowledge the Bob Mould name designates that I'm old, living in an isolated region of the U.S., or some other factor of my existence.

I'd never heard of him. Nor of any connection of the name to any sort of music. It made me wonder somewhat whether the more urban community is on an entirely different world than that in which I live that has to do with local, regional and national politics and economics, a broad swath of musical and entertainment styles and ... yeah, I'm old and live in a world of centuries rather than a few decades.

Thing is, I don't understand how a relatively non mainstream picker ends up being voted on as one of the most influential players in a guitar-oriented survey. I didn't expect most here to know who Mundell Lowe is, but he's been a big part of jazz and media music for longer than most here have been alive - and he's still pickin' last I heard. Heck, he's old enough to be my dad and I'm right there with Clapton in terms of age group of gray-haired folks who are too ornery to quit pickin'.

http://jazztimes.com/articles/20908-mundell-lowe-man-of-few-notes-many-stories

Figure a guy who left home in Mississippi at 13 and ended up playing and writing/arranging (music) on a national/international stage 'cuz he's just plain good.

The music world is odd compared to many other worlds in which one might find oneself - although I think not more strange than that of "politics" on state and national levels where there also is a jargon for those insiders who are part of it, or the world of accountants or that of computer software folks.

But I guess I find it literally incredible that a niche guitar stylist ends up anywhere on a poll such as this.

Nothing against him or his music, I actually looked up some. It reminds me of garage bands of the '60s; a rather arcane musical niche - and so totally a different niche than the two guys also in the top 3 who nowadays have to be considered historically as "mainstream" musicians with long careers in the biz.

Interesting, to be sure.

m

I don't know if total lack of knowledge the Bob Mould name designates that I'm old, living in an isolated region of the U.S., or some other factor of my existence.

I'd never heard of him.

Well, don't blame your country milod because I have never, ever heard of Bob Mould and I don't think I've ever heard a single note of him playing.

Perhaps I've missed out terribly but good luck to those who have heard him and were influenced.

FZ...

That's why I referenced the '60s garage band phenom.

Although... the Turtles weren't bad at all and even the Barbarians were interesting - especially given that not many bands have drummers with a hook for one hand... (Are you a boy or are you a girl... you may be a boy but, hey, you look like a girl.)

<chortle>

m

I'd never heard of him. Nor of any connection of the name to any sort of music. It made me wonder somewhat whether the more urban community is on an entirely different world than that in which I live that has to do with local, regional and national politics and economics, a broad swath of musical and entertainment styles and ... yeah, I'm old and live in a world of centuries rather than a few decades.

Thing is, I don't understand how a relatively non mainstream picker ends up being voted on as one of the most influential players in a guitar-oriented survey. I didn't expect most here to know who Mundell Lowe is, but he's been a big part of jazz and media music for longer than most here have been alive - and he's still pickin' last I heard. Heck, he's old enough to be my dad and I'm right there with Clapton in terms of age group of gray-haired folks who are too ornery to quit pickin'.

http://jazztimes.com/articles/20908-mundell-lowe-man-of-few-notes-many-stories

Figure a guy who left home in Mississippi at 13 and ended up playing and writing/arranging (music) on a national/international stage 'cuz he's just plain good.

The music world is odd compared to many other worlds in which one might find oneself - although I think not more strange than that of "politics" on state and national levels where there also is a jargon for those insiders who are part of it, or the world of accountants or that of computer software folks.

But I guess I find it literally incredible that a niche guitar stylist ends up anywhere on a poll such as this.

Nothing against him or his music, I actually looked up some. It reminds me of garage bands of the '60s; a rather arcane musical niche - and so totally a different niche than the two guys also in the top 3 who nowadays have to be considered historically as "mainstream" musicians with long careers in the biz.

Interesting, to be sure.

m

I think I may know where you are going with this.

Conventional wisdom tells us this is a fluke. The Genre he represents doesn't even seem popular enough for a guy to rate.

But what do we know? Is it odd that we don't?

Perhaps, maybe, it is the times. I can imagine what would make a guitarist, whose career has mostly passed with limited popularity suddenly trend. I don't think it's impossible for a genre, which has come and gone already and had limited popularity at it's best point, to suddenly become more popular than it had ever been due to a shift in the wind. But yet still, how in the heck could a guitarist/musician with limited popularity even as the genre WAS suddenly become known more than he was when he was at his peak?

Perhaps its as you say, that there are often musicians that end up with more actual influence on the music itself, rather than the poularity of their own self. I could throw out a few examples of names at least some of us can recognize: Adrian Belew, Nile Rodgers, Steve Cropper. Seldom do poeple name them as "names", but yet, they can be said to be responsible for entire styles or even genres perhaps by themselves.

I know T-bone walker is MAYBE a houshold name, but if one considers what it would be like had he never existed, none of us might be playing guitar at all.

I think we all know that Blues has existed the whole time, but had it not been for the Beatles and Stones, or the Rock and Roll invasion of the 60's, it might not have come back. And, you make me wonder, how many of the Blues musicians that became popular after that were actually popular in their own genre at the time?

That is to say, when something goes "retro", and we look back on it, is the retrospective the same? Often the ones that were less popular become remembered as the most popular, and the other way around. More so when the genre itself doesn't have much record sales.

I recently read the charts puplished in Rolling Stone magazine, and it was unrecognizable to me. When I watch the award stuff, I feel out of touch. And with the internet and the way things are these days, I QUESTION that what the media deems popular is really the case.

That is to say, when something goes "retro", and we look back on it, is the retrospective the same? Often the ones that were less popular become remembered as the most popular, and the other way around. More so when the genre itself doesn't have much record sales.

I recently read the charts puplished in Rolling Stone magazine, and it was unrecognizable to me. When I watch the award stuff, I feel out of touch. And with the internet and the way things are these days, I QUESTION that what the media deems popular is really the case.

Spot on.

My daughter was driving me to a doctor's appointment yesterday & had the car radio on. A fairly decent tune came on & she started singing along. So I asked, "Oh, is this new?"

"Oh jeez Dad, no. It's like, uh...4 months old."

"I see. So it's an oldie?"

"Dad, you don't have to get so defensive about the "old" thing."

"No, that's not what I'm getting at. You actually like this song?"

"Clearly I do. I was singing along..."

"Mm-hmm. And exactly who is this?" (somebody I've never heard of and can't remember what she said)

"Why? Do you like it?"

"Actually, yes, I do. I liked this style of R&B when Al Green was doing it back around 1970 to '74."

"Dad. This isn't R&B or whatever. At least not what they call R&B now. This is hip-hop."

I just sighed and watched the scenery rolling by. I recognize the futility of try to make her understand that her generation has stolen/bastardized something that they've relabeled & claimed as their own. Someday she will know...I hope... :(

Interesting, to be sure.

m

Well, don't blame your country milod because I have never, ever heard of Bob Mould and I don't think I've ever heard a single note of him playing.

Perhaps I've missed out terribly but good luck to those who have heard him and were influenced.

I think this is probably a common theme and some may realize, it says more about the radio "market" wherein one is located, than about its listeners.

An act gets airplay or it doesn't, and these days there is a lot more doesn't, adding to the evidence of the "splintering" of today's society. (right milod?)

The knowledge of niche players is no doubt better cultivated and sustains increased yield in our specialized area of the internet.

Σß

Spot on.

My daughter was driving me to a doctor's appointment yesterday & had the car radio on. A fairly decent tune came on & she started singing along. So I asked, "Oh, is this new?"

"Oh jeez Dad, no. It's like, uh...4 months old."

"I see. So it's an oldie?"

"No, that's not what I'm getting at. You actually like this song?"

"Clearly I do. I was singing along..."

"Mm-hmm. And exactly who is this?" (somebody I've never heard of and can't remember what she said)

"Why? Do you like it?"

"Actually, yes, I do. I liked this style of R&B when Al Green was doing it back around 1970 to '74."

"Dad. This isn't R&B or whatever. At least not what they call R&B now. This is hip-hop."

I just sighed and watched the scenery rolling by. I recognize the futility of try to make her understand that her generation has stolen/bastardized something that they've relabeled & claimed as their own. Someday she will know...I hope... :(

THIS had me laughing.

....was driving me to a doctor's appointment yesterday...."Oh jeez Dad, no.

"

I just sighed and watched the scenery rolling by.....

Speed read version.

This may be the best description of the musical parent/child relationship ever. [thumbup]

Our parents undoubtedly said/felt the same thing when confronted with our hip new music. :rolleyes:

Well, part of my outlook on this goes back the the perspective that we have had an explosion of media for music that there no longer is a bit of "generally known" for musicians/bands. There's no central deal like the old Ed Sullivan show, and once the web arose, there are tens of thousands or more options for music without any central hub like the old three-network television.

Nowadays few of "us" under 50 heard of the Blue Things, Barbarians, Peter Wheat and such regardless that at one time they were regionally well known and did good rock music.

I could name a batch of country folks and saloon players of great talent and skill of whom nobody has a clue. Actress Cheryl Ladd began her career as a girl singer for a saloon act with one of the best saloon gig piano players I've ever heard. But you've never heard of him regardless that I could sit almost literally for hours hearing his jazz variations on the Mickey Mouse Club theme song.

Mr. Mould has, I'm sure, a following. I've heard a lot worse. But ever hear of Tom Fritts? Son of Stan Fritts and the Korn Kobblers that performed across the U.S. for over 15 years, back in the days when that "novelty band" made some pretty good money and played some pretty decent venues and...

m

Archived