Gibson Brands Forums

New ES-175 cutaway groove

spinnn

Can anyone tell me if this is a finish groove or a wood crack under the finish? The groove/line is not a superficial crack/fissure on the finish. Instead it is a line-shaped depression and I'm worried it means the wood has cracked under the finish. Because the colour is black, I can't see a thing under the lacquer....

Thanks for replies.

post-46664-040674800 1412032014_thumb.jpg

No idea at all. It doesn't look like a "crack," but more a groove...???

Odd... I can't help you on it though. I do think that were it a "crack," that'd have more effect on the lacquer that doesn't seem to be the case...

Where'd it come from? Can you get the store folks to look at it?

m

Sorry for having to say that, but from my point of view this doesn't look funny, more like a serious trouble. My guess is that something bad happened during polishing, probably through high pressure onto the buffing tool. Maybe the quality control didn't see it because it will reveal only when viewing against the light in a particular angle.

I would have it thoroughly checked at the retailer. Are you still within the return period? I guess if it was mine, I wouldn't want to keep it since I would never be happy with. [crying]

Sorry for having to say that, but from my point of view this doesn't look funny, more like a serious trouble. My guess is that something bad happened during polishing, probably through high pressure onto the buffing tool. Maybe the quality control didn't see it because it will reveal only when viewing against the light in a particular angle.

I would have it thoroughly checked at the retailer. Are you still within the return period? I guess if it was mine, I wouldn't want to keep it since I would never be happy with. [crying]

Yes, still within the return period but the guitar plays nice. I bought it online so can't check with the retailer. Will probably take it to a Gibson Warranty service center.

Any experienced luthier opinions out there?

It's only a photo, but that sir, looks like a crack or split in the wood.

It's not all that uncommon, especially older guitars. Sometimes, the wood splits, but doesn't separate. Changes in temperature and such making the wood shrink and expand will make it appear and disappear.

A good way to tell is to look at it in the light, and carefully press on it to see if there is movement.

If this was an old or "vintage" guitar, I'd say keep an eye on it making sure it doesn't get worse, and be ready to have it fixed. Or just have it fixed.

Sinse this is a NEW guitar, it's not a good start. This guitar should be either sold at a serious discount, fixed and sold at a discount, or pieced out at the factory.

Before you do anything or act on anything I have typed, I would check to make sure I am correct. It is just one pic. Make certain whoever gives you an evaluation you trust and isn't minimalizing to avoid returns or hassles.

My guess is that it's something more than a crack in the finish.

Thanks for replies.

Gibson told me not to worry since I've notified the dealer and Gibson itself about this. I guess Gibson lifetime Gold Warranty (and 2-year dealer warranty) will cover this if anything bad develops.

Archived