Gibson Brands Forums

My take on the 2015's

NHTom

Ok, I know there are tons of threads on every forum bashing the 2015's

While not truly a bash, here are my issues........

I'd be very interested in two models......the Junior and the Special Double Cut.

Yes, they are nothing fancy, etc, but they are what I'm interested in.

I'll start with the Junior.

My Pro's

Love that it is coming in TV yellow

Love that it is GLOSS

My Con's

HATE the LP logo on the headstock (don't mind the hologram.....lame, but not very visible from the front)

HATE that it comes with mini tune/gforce/whatever we call it this week.

And the Special Double Cut.

Pro's.

LOVE that they are making a double cut.

LOVE that it is in TV yellow

Love that it is in GLOSS

LOVE the binding

Love that it is P90

Con's.

HATE that it doesn't come with a pick guard

HATE the LP 100 logo

Hate the gforce

They both have the fancy new nut......I guess I won't know if I like that or not until I see one in person and play it.

In all honesty, I am impressed with the price on both of these as well as the LPM and the Studio. I LOVE that they are all back to gloss.

I guess my two biggest draw backs are the LP100 logo and the min-e tune. I am honestly considering one of each, but will have to see in person...........

Just my two cents.

NHTom

mmmmmm..........as I look closer, I see the "cut" on the double cut isn't right either.

On the older ones, it comes off the neck flat (perpendicular to the neck) and the extends out to the curve.

The 2015 seems to have a cut more like an ES or something..........

Also, I assumed I could just add a pickguard off an older one, but the spacing is different.

Well, I guess the search for a used DC in TV Yellow continues.

NHTom

The double cut says improved neck joint, which translates into a joint set in more like the LP double cut.

And frankly I would not mind the G-force tuning on one guitar, especially a P90 guitar to go from E to Eb (D#) tuning in a heartbeat.

I prefer this look, no pickguard and all but...I am not in the market for a new guitar.

They both have the fancy new nut......I guess I won't know if I like that or not until I see one in person and play it.

In all honesty, I am impressed with the price on both of these as well as the LPM and the Studio. I LOVE that they are all back to gloss.

I guess my two biggest draw backs are the LP100 logo and the min-e tune. I am honestly considering one of each, but will have to see in person...........

Just my two cents.

NHTom

And don't forget... These "cheaper" models also all come with a hardcase now which is a huge bonus at that price [thumbup] (and about time if you ask me, all Gibsons deserve a hardcase).

Yes, I agree 100%

I gravitate toward the "Cheaper" models and one of the first things I do is ditch the gig bag and get a proper hard case.

Glad to see they have come up with one for the "lower" models. I prefer the brown with pink lining Gibson USA ones, but it's only a case. As long as it protects the guitar, all is well!!!! Glad they stepped up.

NHTom

And the Special Double Cut.

Pro's.

LOVE that they are making a double cut.

LOVE that it is in TV yellow

Love that it is in GLOSS

LOVE the binding

Love that it is P90

Con's.

HATE that it doesn't come with a pick guard

HATE the LP 100 logo

Hate the gforce

NHTom

Agree 100%. I still might get one later next year. But am holding off for now.

it might sound ridiculous Tom, but the Les Paul100 scrawl in place of the usual Les Paul Model logo (which i consider intrinsic to a Les Paul) would stop me buying one irresective of the pros and cons of anything else they do to the guitar. simple as that (to me and ludicrously petty to many i'm sure)

PS - that the Les Paul 100 is what the cheapest Epiphone Les Paul is called (and they sell in big numbers) does not improve my enthusiasm for the 'new' logo.

it might sound ridiculous Tom, but the Les Paul100 scrawl in place of the usual Les Paul Model logo (which i consider intrinsic to a Les Paul) would stop me buying one irresective of the pros and cons of anything else they do to the guitar. simple as that (to me and ludicrously petty to many i'm sure)

PS - that the Les Paul 100 is what the cheapest Epiphone Les Paul is called (and they sell in big numbers) does not improve my enthusiasm for the 'new' logo.

Yes, I agree.......the headstock of a Les Paul is something you just don't mess with.......as I said above, I could live with the odd hologram on the back, but Don't mess with the front of a LP

NHTom

Another volume and tone pot would be appreciated but I'd like to hear the pick ups. They're starting to remind me of so many motorcycle companies where it's one step forward, one step backward and one step sideways with their designs.

Archived