Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting new post from Gibson

Rabs

I know (only too well) that the film this is from is of a VERY serious subject matter and am not making light of that and certainly don't want to offend anyone... But this did make me laugh ALOT :)

Donny? Is that you? Rabs, I almost peed my pants!!!!

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a lot of scare tactics going on in that post. [glare]

My thoughts exactly. They're basically saying "don't modify your Gibson guitar or it will be irreversably changed and playability and tone will suffer significantly because you removed a hunk of plastic from the back of your headstock. Tone plastic."

-Ryan

At the risk of being banned, chastised, or otherwise publicly shamed by an over-zealous fora moderator ...

The pinned and locked posts re: Tronical tuners are kind of amazing to me.

Did I get the message right? If you don't want the robot tuning function, leave the robot tuner on the guitar and quit pushing the buttons - otherwise the entire setup will go wack? If these things are that touchy, why use them?

I find it interesting that Gibson tells us how tedious it is get things just right for the robot, but Tronical is selling them as retrofits for any guitar that the holes line up on.

No, I'm not bashing ... this whole scenario isn't passing the smell test. When the smell test fails it usually indicates a lack of information on the part of the sniffer(s).

IOW, there has to be more to this story that we're not being told for market advantage or other reasons. These things must be critical to something else that's been planned for the future.

I have seriously not ever in my life contemplated selling all of my Gibsons. Reading that utter garbage has, for the first time, seriously put that thought in my head. I can't believe I would have a home without a Gibson in it, but if they are willing to go that far for this tuning stuff, I think I have to be just as willing to go just as far for myself.

...IOW, there has to be more to this story that we're not being told for market advantage or other reasons. These things must be critical to something else that's been planned for the future.

Oh yeah. Somebody is going to buy or bought an electronical tuning machine manufacturing concern.

rct

Control issues much? lol wouldn't want anyone to know paying customers are unhappy ;)

Hey man it was off the radar until I started getting complaints from forum members that the Lounge was being clogged with these kind of threads. So rather than delete them, merging seemed like the better alternative.

Carry on with your crusade, but just keep it here :)

And for the record, I'm not an "unhappy" Gibby customer.

Yes same here.. I will obviously want to try one first and check these new changes out but if I like it (and I can ever afford it) I REALLY want one of those dark burst doubecuts.. hmmmmmmmmm double cuuuuttttt ;) If I do like it, I will get over the headstock logo (I think :blink: )

I'm just moving the cool Les Hologram to the front to cover up the stupid writing on the headstock.

Easy fix!

Oh yeah. Somebody is going to buy or bought an electronical tuning machine manufacturing concern.

rct

Either that or they over-leveraged themselves with their recent acquisitions and are relying on the people who will buy a Gibson just because it's a Gibson to make up the difference. Not a terribly wise long-term business strategy, but the modern American business model is built on short-term gains only anyway, so who cares?

At the risk of being banned, chastised, or otherwise publicly shamed by an over-zealous fora moderator ...

Did I get the message right? If you don't want the robot tuning function, leave the robot tuner on the guitar and quit pushing the buttons - otherwise the entire setup will go wack? If these things are that touchy, why use them?

I find it interesting that Gibson tells us how tedious it is get things just right for the robot, but Tronical is selling them as retrofits for any guitar that the holes line up on.

No, I'm not bashing ... this whole scenario isn't passing the smell test. When the smell test fails it usually indicates a lack of information on the part of the sniffer(s).

IOW, there has to be more to this story that we're not being told for market advantage or other reasons. These things must be critical to something else that's been planned for the future.

Wow ... it gets worse. I recently purchased a 2014 Studio Pro. I asked ahead of time about the stock pickup combination, so I was fully prepared to head down the bridge pickup replacement path. I was thinking a '57 Classic+ would be a better match.

Unfortunately, this guitar has the PCB with 5-wire molex connectors for the pickups. In trying to get information to source connectors, Gibson's official response is "Don't swap pickups." WTF?! Don't swap pickups? Are you serious?! Right now I am so fed up I wish I would've bought this thing from one of those places with 30 day returns - it would be outta my house pronto. I seriously considered going with something different for my next guitar. I should have.

Yeah, I need to put a new set of components in anyway and that's only ~$60. I tell you what though, since Gibson doesn't want me to swap pickups, I won't be putting Gibson pickups in this thing. I'll be giving my $$ to Seymour Duncan instead. There's nothing special about having an all Gibson guitar anymore anyway. I'm thinking Planet Waves for tuning machines.

I'm gonna put a small brown paper bag over the headstock too. Remember the New Orleans Saints from years ago?

Or maybe I should put it in it's case and forget about it for a few years. Even with a PCB it's bound to appreciate being from pre- 2015.

Please, somebody from Gibson solve this riddle ... "Why do you SELL pickups if your recommendation is to NOT buy them?"

[cursing][cursing][cursing][cursing][cursing][cursing]

Archived