Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting new post from Gibson

Rabs

heh. I would really like new players, young persons, not get off to bad starts by getting all the junk from the early Harmony Central days as "facts".

As for the 'stache, moooowaaahahahahahahahahaha....

rct

I would like to see the rest of your avatar picture and find out the context. Must have been at a memorable show!

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see the rest of your avatar picture and find out the context. Must have been at a memorable show!

No man, I'm sorry, that is not me. That is Arthur Frayn, the wizard in a movie called Zardoz. Can't explain the movie, you have to watch it. He has been my avatar for a very long time!

rct

No man, I'm sorry, that is not me. That is Arthur Frayn, the wizard in a movie called Zardoz. Can't explain the movie, you have to watch it. He has been my avatar for a very long time!

rct

Googling Zardoz . . .

And heres a few more close ups of the new features.. Check that plug in pick guard.. Those legs look like they will break off easy... Even though im sure there will soon enough be replacement parts available

Imawrbwbwwge3_zps82cb6cd0.jpg

Imaggnrtrymymte1_zpsc4e3e579.jpg

Imascascqeqevge4_zpsb1602638.jpg

Imaggeg2egwvde2_zpsa59d1056.jpg

Imagescaccacasc5_zpsecd2bc2c.jpg

...the 'possibility' to adjust the nut height? What does that mean? No little wrench included?

...or some legal jargon to cover themselves about something?

...and am I imagining things or does the G string seem not to be completely in its slot? (Pic #2)

It's time for the Bronx Cheer... [razz]

Yeah I saw that too with the G string, not sitting in its groove at all...

And yes I guess you get a little allen key with it or something....

I sure was!

Professor K, Neo, and myself were usually yakking it up.

So there'd be a topic, crappy tele lets say. If you ever remember some dbag putting up quotes like Duane talking to Dickey, like

"That shoor is a purty shittty telly ya got there Forrest".

That was me. I think I only ever had the name rct or thompsor.

So you remember Carl, Carlginger, CFiadino, that guy. And Mikey, another guy from LawnGuyLand.

And the mighty John Ou, you simply must remember him.

Good times.

rct

Hell yeah. My moniker there was 1DZReverendDavidLee. I had like over 17,000 posts and a butt load of reviews until they "upgraded" the site for like the 15th time and they lost over 11,000 of my posts and most of my reviews so I just stopped going there. I remember the great days when all the big time pedal builders would actually post there and answer questions about their gear and have giveaways and tour boxes they would send out to a large group of users to not only try before you buy but also they listened to us and made modifications to their gear based on user suggestions. I loved that place for a long time. Wouldn't go there now if you paid me. Hardly anybody posts there anymore. Sad they trashed what was one of the great forums for gear on the internet. This is my new home [thumbup]

The nut looks ok and being adjustable would be a benefit. The pickguard is stupid and what is different to the bridge?

It has titanium saddles, and an adjustment at the top of each post,

that makes it "easier" to raise and lower the bridge, beyond what

you'd do with the "wheels" alone...apparently.

CB

1411993439[/url]' post='1570396']

Do like me bro start saving and buying used instead of making payments. They have made it pretty clear they don't want traditionalist money anymore.

Yer right.. I got rid of all my old LPs..shooting myself now...I'd need to get another job to buy my old gits back....LOL....oh well live and learn..

We can thank Guitar Center for the brass nut made from recycled sidewalk grating.

Do the math: (Too many tight G-string returns) plus (Guitar Center can't do setups properly) plus (Gibson's tail-wagging-dog way of doing things) = recyclyed curtain rods for nuts.

No more tight G-strings now, no sir!! In fact, the G-strings don't even sit in the nut slot now because the nut's geometry was dreamed up by the Maytag Repair Man who was seeing refrigerator grating in his sleep.

Lookit how the space between the two middle strings is more than the space between the others. Aight! [unsure]

I swear we all need to send them a bill for $100.00 for "trying to give them some decent advice."

Yeah I saw that too with the G string, not sitting in its groove at all...

If you look closer you can see the B string is not seated either.

Adjustable nut would be a better idea if they didn't abandon the tried-and-true practice of cutting the grooves to different sizes!

Appears they are all machined to the same dimensions!?

Σß

Usually any nut binding people experience is a new cut nut that the grooves are not wide enough and once opened never present a problem again. Also I might add that I have worked on many 40 and 50 year old instruments that the nut grooves were not wore down even enough to warrant a change out.

Yeah, I took a torch tip cleaner to the nut on my Epi 12 string and it helped quite a bit.

Then I figured out it was high because the fretboard has a very slight upwards curve from the 2nd fret to the nut.

It's going to the luthier.

Hell yeah. My moniker there was 1DZReverendDavidLee. I had like over 17,000 posts and a butt load of reviews until they "upgraded" the site for like the 15th time and they lost over 11,000 of my posts and most of my reviews so I just stopped going there. I remember the great days when all the big time pedal builders would actually post there and answer questions about their gear and have giveaways and tour boxes they would send out to a large group of users to not only try before you buy but also they listened to us and made modifications to their gear based on user suggestions. I loved that place for a long time. Wouldn't go there now if you paid me. Hardly anybody posts there anymore. Sad they trashed what was one of the great forums for gear on the internet. This is my new home [thumbup]

Oh yeah, I do remember the great purges after they made it "better". I too loved that place, it was the last wild west of guitars after usenet started fading. I haven't been to the site in at least ten years now. One of my first posts here in this one all these years later was something like "...reminds me of the old HCGF when it was great...".

rct

I have never needed it on a Les Paul,

This is the part that gets me. I understand that they want to sell guitars to anyone, but anyone that actually plays them knows you don't need this, so that means to me that the people coming up with the enhancements and improvements obviously don't play the guitar.

Or am I just missing something and they know something about Les Pauls that I don't?

rct

This is the part that gets me. I understand that they want to sell guitars to anyone, but anyone that actually plays them knows you don't need this, so that means to me that the people coming up with the enhancements and improvements obviously don't play the guitar.

Or am I just missing something and they know something about Les Pauls that I don't?

rct

I wonder if a lot of it stems from the desire to "technically advance" guitars in the "age of technical advances."

I wouldn't mind trying out a ZF Lester, tweaking a little this way and that to find out if it really matters. I've made some seemingly miniscule tweaks to guitars that ended up making a noticeable improvement. But I'm a tweaker. I can't help myself.

I can also see where somebody could get caught up in endless tweaking because they can. Where otherwise they would put the tools away and play the guitar :)

Or is this just a message from Gibson that they want us to play with our nuts? (I know, groan ... sorry)

I hate change

These are guitars. Les and Leo got them right the first time. They don't need touch screens and USB ports.

Hello Donny!

Please don`t give them hints.

I am sure, very soon USB ports will be placed on Gibsons. I`d bet on it...

Cheers... Bence

rct

This is a great sentence.

I think that a certain amount of customers for a time were/are poeple with thick wallets who were getting into guitars and learning to play, who never had a Gibson before, or any "high end" guitar.

I remember the vast amount of complaints for things like "I see hairline cracks at the (fill in the blank)", or, "My new Gibson has this finish flaw", stuff that demonstrates the owner is spending more time with a microscope than a cord and and amp.

And the answers were usually a paraphrase along the lines of, "Once you start playing you will learn what makes a guitar good or bad".

I think those at the top making the decisions at Gibson are these types of poeple, as opposed to musicians.

I remember the vast amount of complaints for things like "I see hairline cracks at the (fill in the blank)", or, "My new Gibson has this finish flaw", stuff that demonstrates the owner is spending more time with a microscope than a cord and and amp.

And the answers were usually a paraphrase along the lines of, "Once you start playing you will learn what makes a guitar good or bad".

Hello Stein.

Hm.

We both know, that a Gibson isn`t just a guitar. It`s not only a means of artistic expression, but an artistic product on it`s own! What it makes stand out of the crowd is the craftsmanship. They aren`t made of a simple slab of wood, but have a nice arched tops. They have wonderful bindings all over, etc. Details, that definitely won`t make it sound better, than a Fender with it`s plain, production-oriented design, but still it`s adds class.

That`s the element why we choose Gibsons over other brands.

And, - yes -, thus I except them to be flawless. Ideally, a Gibson is a life-long investment..., or that`s what it was supposed to be. It`s not just a tool what You buy off the shelf, it`s something You wait for. You earn it... I know, it sounds pathetic, but - still - that`s how I see, and that`s how they came to me.

Best wishes... Bence

Archived