Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting new post from Gibson

Rabs

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we're talking about technical advancements or options (I did say "options") on a guitar, how about offering a quality wireless unit built into the guitar that with a switch on the guitar, bypasses the output jack and transmits your signal to a small reciever that simply plugs into the input jack on your amp? I know it isn't a drastic change from the units out there, but it's something I might consider in a new instrument.

If we're talking about technical advancements or options (I did say "options") on a guitar, how about offering a quality wireless unit built into the guitar that with a switch on the guitar, bypasses the output jack and transmits your signal to a small reciever that simply plugs into the input jack on your amp? I know it isn't a drastic change from the units out there, but it's something I might consider in a new instrument.

Because the wireless makers will not provide them to Gibson or anyone else for nearly what they would want to pay in order charge us accordingly. Why would Nady give them a 300 dollar retail unit for 80 bucks when they can get 300 from you and me? So then Gibson has to either buy a company that makes them or make their own, at which point you are back up to guitar + retail price of wireless = same as we have now, so it isn't worth doing.

A good thing for all people to do is to go through the exercise of getting a Custom Shoppe guitar from any of the big makers. Grovers? Sure, you buy them and send them to us, we'll put them on there with absolutely no warranty or back up. Dunlop Straplocks? Sure, buy them, send them too us, we'll get them on there. Can't guarantee your schedule though, you know, the mail and all. <fill in the name of ones they don't use> Pickups? Sure, you buy them and send them to us, we'll put them in, but we won't warrant their performance or anything. Bardens? No way. We'll ship yer custom shoppe one of a kind 20th wedding anniversary stracaster EMPTY and you put them in. If they can't get something at the right cost to THEM, they won't do it. And the sellers won't make a few when they can make a lot from you directly.

Seriously. It's a racket you can't imagine until you try it. Suffice it to say, I wouldn't spend the money they wanted on a Custom Shoppe guitar that I could make myself out of one of theirs and have enough money to probably make two or even three. Others may, they might dig it, that's fine with me.

rct

Because the wireless makers will not provide them to Gibson or anyone else for nearly what they would want to pay in order charge us accordingly. Why would Nady give them a 300 dollar retail unit for 80 bucks when they can get 300 from you and me? So then Gibson has to either buy a company that makes them or make their own, at which point you are back up to guitar + retail price of wireless = same as we have now, so it isn't worth doing.

Not sure I agree 100% with the reasoning that it wouldn't work out well for a company like Nady. Reason is that $300 retail unit really only nets them maybe 1/3 of that since there is a more than 100% markup so the retailer can get their cut, and they also have to package, ship, market, etc. etc. everything that it takes to retail and warranty those units. So if they were to develp something in partnership with a company like Gibson, they remove all those costs, and sell in volume which could be a huge benefit to their bottom line.

They already did that. Everyone hated it.

http://images.gizmag.com/hero/firebirdx.jpg

Why cant I just buy a finished body and neck with all the holes drilled and the nut I want and save money. I can wire up everthing myself, put in the pups, electronics, tuners, bridge and a tailstop.

You can. All day long. I do.

Hello Donny!

Please don`t give them hints.

I am sure, very soon USB ports will be placed on Gibsons. I`d bet on it...

Cheers... Bence

Epiphone beat them to that one :) (and actually as a direct output to your PC if you record a lot I don't think its the worst idea ever)..

12071506761_lg3_zpsff36f805.jpg

Not sure I agree with everything posted, but I understand the sentiments..... My hope that one day Gibson will supply all Gibbys with factory trap locks [thumbup] .....

And a washer. A simple felt washer that I buy by the dozen, because I know that modern guitars very often don't have them. I know it is picayune complaint, but I think for the money, when I get it home and am about to put some Dunlops on it, I shouldn't have to make sure I've got some washers in the parts bin. Hate that.

rct

I see how the pickguard snaps in, but how does it stay off the body of the guitar. I see the screw for the L bracket in the traditionall spot. I hope they use something soft that does not sctratch the body.

Well I was just checking another video... this one (I actually like this model)

And he shows the underside of the pickguard and low and behold.. Is that a piece of rubber?... I hope someone checked that it is nitro safe.. that would otherwise be an EPIC fail :unsure:

Imagxewefwege2ge1_zpse9a3a093.jpg

Some new vids...

Does no one know how to demo a guitar properly.. These vids make me think that the Andertons videos are Oscar worthy compared...

I mean at least give us a range of sounds to listen to...

anyway :)

Id seriously think about one of these

Guest Farnsbarns

LOL.......I dislike the new nut; it's unnecessary and will cause problems, IMO.

I can understand that. On the other hand I rather like the idea and look forward to trying one, not keen on the 100 logo or hologram but that's just me. I just don't see why we need a new thread each day. What's wrong with yesterday's "I hate Gibson" thread. Just my opinion, of course.

Yeah enough is enough. I will voice my opinion more pointedly by not giving Gibson any more of my money. Seems like a more effective way of rejecting the new line up as opposed to ranting continuously about what they're doing on internet forums. I'm sure they've received our messages loud & clear by now. Follow up in a more understandable message by not buying what they're selling. Pretty simple. #-o

Just a cupla points from me - and, I hope, not taken argumentatively...

1. Stuff changes and those who liked stuff the old way ain't happy. I'm in the periodical publication biz now for right at 50 years and you can't believe the difficulty brought by a number of changes. I've gotten functionally no productive work done this morning due to folks calling me to complain - and yet I have nothing to do with their problems nor a way to help and therefore am a liar <sheesh>.

2. Technology's rapid changes, regardless what some might claim, ain't been solidified into part of our culture. "We" embrace some parts of it and howl about the perceived problems and/or inconveniences of parts we don't embrace for one reason or another.

3. #2 is, in my opinion, an increasing social problem regardless that we have so many folks working to adjust to change and as many others wishing only to take what they wish to embrace.

So... Guitars are inevitably part of the game.

Comments on Fender, for example, are especially interesting to me since if one looks at the more recent offerings, they're as electronically enhanced as about anything one might imagine.

Gibson, I think, catches more than Fender and even Martin because it's perceived today as very "traditional" and yet it has a history of being on the cutting edge of technology with its instruments. The "cutting edge" of the recording era into the 1960s has been somewhat forgotten - IMHO perhaps because we're still talking set necks even on the solidbody instruments.

Martin? I personally still don't quite "get" how Martin can put out a plastic, plywood and fiberboard guitar with the same name on it as a D45 and not catch the crap we see here about Gibsons with far less difference in materials quality. That's somehow an overall marketing "thing."

So... don't get me wrong, I'm not per se defending some changes on these guitars; what I do wonder about, though, is the apparent differences in mindset of this brand vs. that brand - and what is perceived as acceptable by longtime players compared to a perceived general marketplace in today's world.

m

Archived