Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting new post from Gibson

Rabs

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confused.

It's easy to get confused, and I am not saying that I am NOT confused.

It's like this: there and brand names, manufacturers, and distributers. Sometimes they are the same, sometimes not.

In the case of the Kluson tuners we see on various Fenders and Gibsons, they are reproductions. Who makes these reproductions is the question.

When Kluson WAS a manufacturer, and the standard tuner found on the vintage guitars, they sucked. It's what caused us to replace them with grovers and Schallers. Some today would call that hacking our axes, but seriously, back then...

Kluson is long gone, but the name lives on as a generic term for the reproductions.

GOTOH is a company, or a brand, that makes them. They are of high quality that means we DON'T have to "hack" our guitars with replacements.

Apparently, PING makes Klusons as well. I can see where they would suck.

Truth is, anyone can make 'Klusons'. Anyone can get Klusons from anywhere and put a brand on them. So the question of who makes them and where they come from is the subject. I think the prevailing opnion is that that ones made by GOTOH are the best. It's also a Japanese company, and they are known for making good hardware.

You should never be in a band where anyone tries to change you.

But at the same time, if you go to leave the house wearing pink flourescent socks and you look gay, I should tell you. Not because you are gay, or to put you down for looking silly, but because I care.

That's being a freind.

I hope a freind would do the same for me.

Sure, I know. But I was very flattered they chose me. Actually, he was right (for that band). The two of us had an explosive sound together.

No effects, no pedals and we had a dedicated sound man. My profile photo was from our first gig at The Silver Lining in Clifton, NJ...

Tone can be a touchy subject. I like your additude.

Art Davis used to say, "You have to give the poeple what they want", and that was usually in reference to playing a request he didn't care to play. But it (he) refers to all aspects of being a 'musician'.

We are here to entertain. It's the job.

Not saying one has to take a country gig or wear pink socks. But rather, when it comes to the finer points of sound and tone and performance, one should serve the band who serves the audience.

Yeah I have said all Im gonna say about those mods and gadgets they are sticking on the 2015s. They suck I wont buy them and Im pissed about it. But kicking a dead horse to long eventually just makes your foot sore.

We can fix that. Just mod your footwear.

For my tast, I go with Red Wings. It's practically all I wear anymore.

They are, get this, "Union made in the United States of America"

Don't get the Chinese ones. They suck, and no better than you can get anywhere else.

Yeah I have said all Im gonna say about those mods and gadgets they are sticking on the 2015s. They suck I wont buy them and Im pissed about it. But kicking a dead horse to long eventually just makes your foot sore.

We can fix that. Just mod your footwear.

For my tast, I go with Red Wings. It's practically all I wear anymore.

They are, get this, "Union made in the United States of America"

Don't get the Chinese ones. They suck, and no better than you can get anywhere else.

The Korean SE Red Wings are ******* great though!!!

1411857389[/url]' post='1569826']

The Korean SE Red Wings are ******* great though!!!

I wore redwing for years great boots..till I found danners tougher that any redwing ever made I fell redwood trees for a living I've tried every boot available at the time..reds are VERY comfortable but danners toughest boot ever.same thing tho gotta get the USAa ones better bring $$$$ NOT CHEAP...good usa ones start at $350 upwards to $600.just like gibson..workin man cat afford them anymore.

I wore redwing for years great boots..till I found danners tougher that any redwing ever made I fell redwood trees for a living I've tried every boot available at the time..reds are VERY comfortable but danners toughest boot ever.same thing tho gotta get the USAa ones better bring $$$$ NOT CHEAP...good usa ones start at $350 upwards to $600.just like gibson..workin man cat afford them anymore.

Danners are very good. Big respect here.

The only reason I don't is because Red Wings fit me so well. I have met some that feel Danners fit them better. My personal criteria is feet first, meaning how well they work is more important than durability. I have durability issues my self, I can only go so many hours. I can get up to 12 hours of work in some shoes, where normally it would be 8. Kinda like the women have the 12 hour bra.

Most expensive Red Wings I know of run about 350. They have had price increases, and I kinda feel the same about that as what some are saying about Gibson: if this continues, they are going to loose a customer.

I was wearing Dr Martiens since like 1991 they were made in England now they are made in China.

Did NOT know that.

I understand that England is in the same boat we are as far as farming out the economy, though I don't know for sure.

I will say this though, you are absolutely right about finding things made here. I have been watching this closely for a few years now.

Something to share about that: the great american power tool companies, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Black and Decker (DeWalt), ALL China and Mexico now. Skilsaw? China. Ladders? Any brand, Mexico. Vise Grip? China.

As I sit here now, I am unaware of any power tool (hand) or ladder made in the USA.

I don't care if something is made in China, as long as its priced accordingly.

I don't typically buy goods from China. If it's dirt cheap, then sure. Nike? No way in hell. I do have exceptions, though. My iPhone was made in China, not ideal, but there isn't a USA alternative. I read the label before I buy, it is always a factor. Not just with guitars, though I own more asian instruments than american.

Want to keep jobs here? It'll cost you. That means no Wal Mart, no Home Depot, no Target, no McDonalds. Americans typically aren't able to assess the quality of anything -- everything is thought of as a commodity. And Americans don't repair anything. We buy new, we throw away when our little commodity loses luster. How many cobblers and tailors do you see? Not many. Can you buy replacement parts for that Ryobi tool? Nope. Most Americans aren't willing to pay a dollar more to keep jobs in the US, and most Americans have stopped trusting anything but national brands. So what's left? Cheap junk with a shiny veneer.

And it's not like Made in the USA has kept Gibson's quality control from slipping. American labor isn't a silver bullet. I bet it's a bunch of self-entitled union guys who do mediocre work at a snail's pace. That vision of the craftsman in a post and beam shop with a hand plane carefully milling his timber? Yeah, no. It's more likely some bean counter with a hard hat and clipboard encouraging an unskilled union lackey to push wood through the bandsaw faster so that his quotas don't slip.

I wouldn't expect any of this to change any time soon. Gibson is much more likely to join them than beat them. In fact, if we watch how Fender has been marketing its foreign guitars (they're getting $900+ for Mexican guitars) and how Gibson is trying desperately to be like Fender, I won't be surprised if Gibson floods the market with baja SGs and reliced Les Pauls with bolt-on necks.

... Most Americans aren't willing to pay a dollar more to keep jobs in the US, and most Americans have stopped trusting anything but national brands. So what's left? Cheap junk with a shiny veneer.

A dollar? Yeah, sure pal ... :)

IME, the difference is pay $1 for junk that lasts a month, or $20 for junk that lasts 2 months.

Autos and guitars excepted, of course :)

Did NOT know that.

I understand that England is in the same boat we are as far as farming out the economy, though I don't know for sure.

I will say this though, you are absolutely right about finding things made here. I have been watching this closely for a few years now.

Something to share about that: the great american power tool companies, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Black and Decker (DeWalt), ALL China and Mexico now. Skilsaw? China. Ladders? Any brand, Mexico. Vise Grip? China.

As I sit here now, I am unaware of any power tool (hand) or ladder made in the USA.

Yes, even Ann Summers power tools are made in Asia nowadays [smile] (people outside the U.K will need to do their own research on Ann Summers)

Ian

1411878387[/url]' post='1569920']

Danners are very good. Big respect here.

The only reason I don't is because Red Wings fit me so well. I have met some that feel Danners fit them better. My personal criteria is feet first, meaning how well they work is more important than durability. I have durability issues my self, I can only go so many hours. I can get up to 12 hours of work in some shoes, where normally it would be 8. Kinda like the women have the 12 hour bra.

Most expensive Red Wings I know of run about 350. They have had price increases, and I kinda feel the same about that as what some are saying about Gibson: if this continues, they are going to loose a customer.

I don't wanna be an ex gibby customer but...I'm just not in that $$$ league..ex by default

Ok so that new hardshell case... A member in the LP section posted this and indeed it comes up if you search for a Gibson Les Paul Junior 2015 hardshell on Google images.. and the page that its linked too is Gibsons own page, but no actual picture of the case when you go to it??

Yikes that is fugly (edit, imo of course, while its not the worst thing ive ever seen I just prefer the LP shaped ones)

15NF_15_zpsdf8e9b93.jpg

also theres pics of that LP hologram at the back... OMG is this a joke???

15NF_14_zps72913406.jpg

and lastly, more just out of interest.. a close up of one of those new nuts (which I still find interesting and want to try)

2015NUT_zps973525cf.jpg

Archived