Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting new post from Gibson

Rabs

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually like the case.

Dare I say it; if it is as solid as it looks then it could well be an improvement over the regular offering?

I can imagine how it might give more protection in a tight van-pack.

If, as Darling mentions, it looks 'very retro' then I must be old; I can remember when that particular 'retro-look' was 'the latest thing'!........ah well; such is life. LOL!

The Hologram?

Why? Seriously, Gibson; Why? To authenticate the Gibson as a Genuine Gibson?

Well, now you've ditched the nubs you have, for sure, made counterfeits much easier to pass-off as the real thing.

But if it really was absolutely necessary to fix a silly sticker with a snap of Les on the back of the headstock why THAT snap? It's one of the worst pictures of Les I've ever seen!

Fail. Big-time.

Zero-fret nut?

Hmmm.......jury's still out on that one.

I've played a few guitars with a zero fret and I can't say I've ever experienced a problem with any of them.

My 1940s G-Jazz f-hole arch-top has one and it DOES make the tone of the un-fretted strings more uniform with fretted notes.

On an acoustic, therefore, it might be said to be a good thing.

All my experiences have been with a separate nut / zero-fret set-up. The new one uses a one piece unit to fulfill both roles. Why not? Can't see it posing a problem.

The edges of the thing look too sharp, though.

Like Rabs, I will also wait to try one out before I pass judgement.

P.

OK, love the new case design. Looks like it can take a beating and travel well on a plane… The Fender version looks a bit more sturdy, no one complains about them… My mahogany Strat came with the Fender version and I love it.

15NF_15_zpsdf8e9b93.jpg

MC_099-6171-506_zpsfd7a0e07.jpg

The zero fret nut looks like a good idea, I want to try it. The sticker, well it's on the back of the neck and no one will even see it unless they pick up the guitar to inspect it and no one picks up my guitars but me… but it is a bit tacky... [biggrin]

Hello!

The case isn`t that bad at all, in my opinion.

The hologram* is a joke, but the new nut disturbs me much more. With it`s simplicity it looks so off on a Gibson guitar.

*On behalf of my country, I humbly apologize for that invention. I feel even worse that my company building is on a street named after Gábor Dénes.

Cheers... Bence

I think case is alright....But the sticker in the back....you gotta be kidding me....

as for the nut it does look sharp on the edge as pippy said and I don't particularly think it's good looking......I'm sure it works

great but a traditional nut is much more attractive....

I actually like the case.

Dare I say it; if it is as solid as it looks then it could well be an improvement over the regular offering?

I can imagine how it might give more protection in a tight van-pack.

If, as Darling mentions, it looks 'very retro' then I must be old; I can remember when that particular 'retro-look' was 'the latest thing'!........ah well; such is life. LOL!

The Hologram?

Why? Seriously, Gibson; Why? To authenticate the Gibson as a Genuine Gibson?

Well, now you've ditched the nubs you have, for sure, made counterfeits much easier to pass-off as the real thing.

But if it really was absolutely necessary to fix a silly sticker with a snap of Les on the back of the headstock why THAT snap? It's one of the worst pictures of Les I've ever seen!

Fail. Big-time.

Zero-fret nut?

Hmmm.......jury's still out on that one.

I've played a few guitars with a zero fret and I can't say I've ever experienced a problem with any of them.

My 1940s G-Jazz f-hole arch-top has one and it DOES make the tone of the un-fretted strings more uniform with fretted notes.

On an acoustic, therefore, it might be said to be a good thing.

All my experiences have been with a separate nut / zero-fret set-up. The new one uses a one piece unit to fulfill both roles. Why not? Can't see it posing a problem.

The edges of the thing look too sharp, though.

Like Rabs, I will also wait to try one out before I pass judgement.

P.

i'm sure that in a sweatshop somewhere in China, as we speak, some wisea** is making counterfiets with the hologram, but only Les Pauls MIDDLE FINGER is waving at us !! [laugh]

*On behalf of my country, I humbly apologize for that invention. I feel even worse that my company building is on a street named after Gábor Dénes.

Cheers... Bence

Well, there were many reasons for awarding people with the Nobel Prize, but in the end it always depends on what others may use their discoverings or inventions for. Showing the rightly coveted musician and inventor off as some kind of Les "Pope" Paul is quite arguable in my opinion. :-k

This thread is amusing to me, because I'll never own another LP, and it is interesting to follow the business decisions that Henry J makes.

If the case is well made and does what it is supposed to do, that should be a good thing. I kinda like the design. The sticker... meh... as long as you don't gouge the finish trying to remove it, no harm, no foul.

The nut, well, it ain't pretty. Is it made of metal? How will it affect sound, and how will it handle a change in string gauge? What is the idea behind the design?

Guest Farnsbarns

Hologram: peel off and disguard/keep for resale.

Case: it's a case, if the style of the case effects your guitar purchases there's more wrong with you than the case.

Zero fret nut: love it! Not a biggie to replace though.

I don't see why everyone is so up in arms. Gibson has reissues/traditionals for the traditionalists and innovative designs for the rest.

I like the look of the case. Nice shape for transporting and storing. Like the curved edges, which brings me onto the nut. That does look rather sharp infact it reminds me of a recycled razor blade. Just looking at it gives me razor rash. Hopefully the hologram is just a sticker that can be easily removed. If I do buy a 2015 model that will be the first thing to come off. Don't want a gooey gunky sticker 'eating' away/marring the finish. Still not sure of the robot tuning thing. Its not just about tuning your strings but being able to 'tune' your ears.

Hopefully its just someone on the net winding us up.

...I don't see why everyone is so up in arms. Gibson has reissues/traditionals for the traditionalists and innovative designs for the rest...

For a start, Farns, The 2015 Traditional would appear to be a very different animal when compared with the 2013 Traditional.

If they had left the Trad as it was then (and re-named it the 'Standard') then much could be forgiven but the G-Force has been N-Forced (as it were), the stupid scrawl disfigures the front of the peghead and I'm not reassured that the 2015 incarnation has escaped the despicable 'nubs cull' which started last year. Add to that my utter dislike of the rim-burst pattern (apologies for any offence, etc...) and you can see why I, for one, don't consider the Trad to be terribly traditional at all. And 'terrible' is closer to the mot juste IMO.

P.

Looking at the nut, I wonder if Gibson has guitar players designing the guitars these days.

The nut may be good or bad, but to have the sharp edges sticking out the side like that is a major oversight, especially on a high-end guitar.

One of the things that set Gibson apart from everyone else is the FEEL of it. The nibs was a big part of that.

I don't have any clue or insider information, but I am imagining that the conversations going on within Gibson about the design, I can't imagine there are any experienced guitar players involved having a significant voice.

If there was one thing about Gibsons that DIDN'T need changing, it was the neck. They had a significant edge over the competition there. You knew when you were playing a real Gibson, and there is a certain feel that you couldn't get anywhere else. This could be a whole subject in itself.

The question I have, is did this discussion take place at Gibson anywhere in the design phase of these things?

The nut may be good or bad, but to have the sharp edges sticking out the side like that is a major oversight, especially on a high-end guitar.

I'm thinking that pic may be a prototype or mock-up because there is no need to have the extra width and the sharp corners.

One of the things that set Gibson apart from everyone else is the FEEL of it. The nibs was a big part of that.

Not for me since I never touch fretboard edges when playing. That's why I found fret sprout on an Ibanez of mine during two very cold and dry winters just accidentally when restringing. It didn't bother me anyway when playing, and so don't nibs, nubs or whatever.

I used to own a Fender with a zero fret. No problems at all. The Gibson zero fret is supposed to be adjustable for action at the nut. Not a bad idea on paper really.

OK Gibson, you listening? I have some advice for you that is so obvious and full of truth, I can't believe you didn't think of it yourselves:

Go back to the basic design. Innovate a way to make you other innovations user changeable. Kids love to customize ... hell, grown kids love to customize (see Harley-Davidson). Sell the basic guitar and let players buy the different doodads if they want to for installation on their own guitars. Make nuts easy to change and let early-adopters buy them and change them if they want. This doesn't have to be functional stuff either. How many third-party sources are there for phone/tablet covers? Make pick guards easy as **** to change and let the markets develop.

Kidz will want to buy Gibson guitars because they can buy shiny **** to screw them up. Old dudes will continue to buy them because they don't come stock with shiny **** on them.

You owe me big time, Gibson. I just gave you the way to save your asses. If you aren't too collectively arrogant to listen.

Yes, we are big children and someone screwed up our toys... :angry:

:D

Cheers... Bence

Well, my toys are still the same. I don't care if they are up-to-date saying "100" on the peghead or so as long as it doesn't affect tone. [rolleyes]

Archived