Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting new post from Gibson

Rabs

Rabs' reference to the patent drawings show a guitar neck that looked fairly steep, and with a volute.

made me wonder too. <grin>

m

Nah I think that was just an example for patent purposes...

From what I can see the headstock angle looks like what you would normally expect

Imarwbwrb2bbwrbge2_zps27822c1c.jpg

Imwffqeqcqcqwage1_zpse9473abe.jpg

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello!

So, even the Traditional got modernized too?

WHY?

According to the corporate philosophy the Standard is the model in the range that receives updates, and the TRADITIONAL remains the same.

Excuse me for this: F%#K! [cursing]

I might have bought a Traditional P-90s this (or the next) year to replace the similiar Studio 50s Tribute with a better appointed instrument, but I won't buy anything like this. Glad that I have the Classic Custom. And keeping the Studio until Gibson recovers from it's ashes.

Bence

...The "nibs" thing marking quality, for example makes me laugh 'cuz I could just see somebody suggesting to Hauser or Ramirez that they add nibs to a $30,000 classical guitar...

With the greatest respect, milo, could you see somebody suggesting to Ramirez that they adopt new mechanised production techniques which would allow their $30,000 classical guitar to be made considerably cheaper, a lot quicker, in greater numbers, with less attention to detail and can therefore be finished-off by a lesser-skilled worker, and which abandons a traditional Ramirez practice going back around a century?

No. Nor can I.

P.

Ok, let them try whatever they want. Soon they will see that it was the wrong way. Sales will drop thats for sure, and this is the only thing they care about.

I got my Les Paul, i can wait, hopefully 2016 they change things for good. I will keep my money this year and in 2016 i will have more money for a real nice Les Paul.

If they keep "innovating" i go with a used one, saw some real beautys on the net. I am a novice so please can someone tell me, is it realy that hard to keep your guitar

in tune? Do guitar players realy need this G-Force thing? eusa_snooty.gif And yess they will loose reputation, but i don't care, its not my name written on the headstock.

A slightly better picture of one of the new nuts

Imallhlkhlhllhlhlkge1_zpsd1e8368a.jpg

All the extra fretboard width looks like it's all outside the first and sixth strings. Like there's too much space between the edge of the fretboard and the strings. Talk about the tail wagging the dog!! That's nuts - funny, huh? [scared]

A slightly better picture of one of the new nuts

Imallhlkhlhllhlhlkge1_zpsd1e8368a.jpg

My only concern with a metal nut is finding someone to work on it. Ham handed Neanderthals like me need 11s so the first thing I do when I get a new guitar is correct the nut for a bigger string gauge. A trusted luthier I used to know said he won't work on metal nuts because they wreck files. Never having cut a nut, I do not know how true this is. Outside of that I love the look of the zero fret and I am excited to play one in person.

Sorry if this has been addressed; I'm too lazy to read through this long thread.

Actually RE high end classical guitars, there is a lot of "modern" work done on them. I can't imagine using a hand saw, for example, to cut top, back and sides. Now computer-operated? I dunno. But technology is part of every instrument maker that's known at all. The question is always the degree of artisanship added. Each generation has choices to make whether they will use this or that bit of technology and what counts. I have a friend who's a great sculptor and runs his own foundry. Concepts are "old," his creations are done "the old way," but he uses modern tech for what makes sense.

m

My only concern with a metal nut is finding someone to work on it. Ham handed Neanderthals like me need 11s so the first thing I do when I get a new guitar is correct the nut for a bigger string gauge. A trusted luthier I used to know said he won't work on metal nuts because they wreck files. Never having cut a nut, I do not know how true this is. Outside of that I love the look of the zero fret and I am excited to play one in person.

Sorry if this has been addressed; I'm too lazy to read through this long thread.

I would say that you wouldn't need any work done on it.. which is the point of an adjustable nut..

By the looks of the pictures I have seen the string slots look big enough to take a larger gauge and then you just move the nut up or down to adjust.. How they will react if you were to say put 8s on im not sure, the slots will be pretty big and thus leave the strings to move about in the slot more than on a purpose cut nut.

Plus to be honest a luthier who tells you he wont work on a metal nut seems a but silly.. if you know you will use a file up in the process that simply becomes part of the cost... ? (plus they are brass which is a pretty soft metal as they go)

All the extra fretboard width looks like it's all outside the first and sixth strings. Like there's too much space between the edge of the fretboard and the strings. Talk about the tail wagging the dog!! That's nuts - funny, huh? [scared]

Well of course.. More room on the fretboard improves tone and sustain, obviously... :P :)

I don't think adjustments are req'd for string gauge changes. Regardless of gauge, the bottom of the string will stay at the same height with a zero fret nut. Slot width is what gets changed to accommodate different gauge with a traditional nut.

The 'V' shape in the zero unit *should* have slopes that hold any gauge string in the correct horizontal position without need for filing.

Thanks, Rabs... [biggrin]

Well, we already knew most of that, and "I" didn't hear any real difference,

in tone, sustain, or tuning accuracy, as those were not really demonstrated.

He did make a point regarding the nut, logo, and hologram, however. So, that

alone must justify the 28-29% price increase, I'm sure?! [flapper]:rolleyes:

In fairness, I'm AM interested in the viability of the new adjustable zero fret

nut! The other stuff...ehhh, not really. As to the "rolled fingerboard," polished

frets and fingerboard? Well, it's about time, that was done. Nice return to

real pearl inlays (my '76 LP Deluxe has those)!

And, will they (at some point) offer that nut, as a "part" in the width of previous

LP/SG and other's fingerboards, so one could install that, at least, in an older

guitar...IF, desired??? [tongue][confused]

CB

Archived