Gibson Brands Forums

Picking up 2nd 2014 SGJ for modding or...

notaguitargod

Hi Gibson enthusiasts! My first real Gibson was a LP Traditional and I love it but picked up an SGJ as it was pretty good value. Now I want another (used) to mod and this is the first time I mod a guitar so I wanted to share my plan and see what you think.

So I was thinking Gibson's P94 pickups and then add a Fishman Tuno-Matic (this: http://www.fishman.com/products/view/tune-o-matic-powerbridge-pickup-1), I need to research some more but most likely new pots and wiring. Not sure if it needs an upgrade in the tuner department, the one I have stays in tune pretty good...

Or should I just scrap the idea and get a 2014 Melody Maker?

Thanks for your opinion and thoughts.

Hi Gibson enthusiasts! My first real Gibson was a LP Traditional and I love it but picked up an SGJ as it was pretty good value. Now I want another (used) to mod and this is the first time I mod a guitar so I wanted to share my plan and see what you think.

So I was thinking Gibson's P94 pickups and then add a Fishman Tuno-Matic (this: http://www.fishman.com/products/view/tune-o-matic-powerbridge-pickup-1), I need to research some more but most likely new pots and wiring. Not sure if it needs an upgrade in the tuner department, the one I have stays in tune pretty good...

Or should I just scrap the idea and get a 2014 Melody Maker?

Thanks for your opinion and thoughts.

I am a hybrid guitar enthusiast. There are seven of them in my stable, Fishman hardtail or GraphTech Floyd Rose equipped. Among them is an SG Supra featuring the Fishman T-O-M you linked stock, and the Power Pot circuit along with it. Blowing the piezo signals through acoustic amps gives an acoustic tone as real as can be, from Tele, Les Paul, Strat, and SG models as well.

All of my piezo'd hybrids are active. My modded FR Strats were routed for circuit and battery compartment at the Thomann service.

Do you intend active or passive use?

I've actually wanted to do almost the same thing, but I'm gonna' try to find a 2013 model because the 2014 has that hideous 120th Anniversary inlay on the fretboard, and there isn't a steep enough discount for me to be able live with that.

I've actually wanted to do almost the same thing, but I'm gonna' try to find a 2013 model because the 2014 has that hideous 120th Anniversary inlay on the fretboard, and there isn't a steep enough discount for me to be able live with that.

I like the Anniversary inlay on my guitar.

Archived