Gibson Brands Forums

And You think the Gibson Price is Excessive?

IanHenry

Some people are willing to pay huge lots of money for souvenirs, and wealthy players maybe think they can buy mojo.

Would be interesting to know what amp top's back is pictured on the photo. Perhaps a prototype? Can't remember to have seen any valve/tube guitar amp with a tilted chassis before.

Great. Thanks for posting that. Now I'll just end up paying more for the damn thing. Sighhh.. [cursing]

[biggrin]

I can't imagine having access to something like that. I would also be torn about selling that guitar if Lennon was a relative of mine. No one in my family was rich or famous and since they have all passed I hang on to every little thing they left behind as priceless treasures even though monetarily their worth very little to anyone else.

I dunno.. the guitar will end up sitting in a glass case somewhere for show & tell for some rich guys friends. [crying]

Amazing.

I think that certain guitars, owned by certain poeple can and do become valuable. We love guitars, and we hold up musicians as "heros", so to speak.

Certain musicians with certain guitars make us want to have the same thing. Like, for example, Clapton's Strat Jimi's Strat. Page's LP. When it is THE actual guitar though, hmmm.

But I wonder how much of the is trend, or the market drying up. For instance, I could see Harrison's Gretsch, or Lennon's Ricky. But I didn't even know Lennon played this.

One has to be careful, too. What if the guitar ISN'T what the guitar is supposed to be? I've seen that happen. And I've seen some guitars with some weak verification commanding prices as though they had solid verification.

The "Mary Ford SG/Les Paul" was an outright scam. And I'm not convinced the family members involved weren't part of it.

I wonder what verification THIS guitar has.

When I purchased my brand new Custom Wes Montgomery L5 for $5k 10 years ago, I was reminded that the amount of money I spend was not going to make me sound like Wes Montgomery. Having a great guitar in the hands of the "student" that practices, studies and applies the technics learned was the only way to justify spending that kind of money then. Now the same new guitar costs $8K ($10K for the Natural finish).

It just stops making sense to me paying that kind of money for any guitar.

Jazz

Great. Thanks for posting that. Now I'll just end up paying more for the damn thing. Sighhh.. [cursing]

[biggrin]

I can't imagine having access to something like that. I would also be torn about selling that guitar if Lennon was a relative of mine. No one in my family was rich or famous and since they have all passed I hang on to every little thing they left behind as priceless treasures even though monetarily their worth very little to anyone else.

I dunno.. the guitar will end up sitting in a glass case somewhere for show & tell for some rich guys friends. [crying]

If you can put up with this particular John Lennon guitar sitting in a glass case and are just out for tone, you might check this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G6120DC

JT13125504-body-large.jpg

In case you don't already own one of them, that is... [biggrin]

What the hell is on the back a bar stool seat cushion?

LOL you beat me to it [biggrin] Yeah that's a NO for me. Thanks though Cap for trying to save me a little money. And no I don't have one (don't like bigsbys.. sorry) :)

I only own one guitar with a bigsby - my Gretsch 5120 Electromatic - and that's enough for me [flapper]

What the hell is on the back a bar stool seat cushion?

I think this is the Chet Atkins belt buckle rash protector, less apparent to audiences than wearing a padded flap on the waiste. [biggrin]

LOL you best me to it [biggrin] Yeah that's a NO for me. Thanks though Cap for trying to save me a little money. And no I don't have one (don't like bigsbys.. sorry) :)

I only own one guitar with a bigsby - my Gretsch 5120 Electromatic - and that's enough for me [flapper]

No Bigsby here, and my Maestro/Lyra vibrola came as unavoidable feature of the Frank Zappa "Roxy" SG. The poor vintage Stratocaster whammy made me a Floyd Rose addict already in 1981.

Archived