Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul faded DC (with p90s) Awful finish?

Thundergod

Yesterday I played a les paul faded DC and the in black (most I see on the net are either yellow or red which look great, specially TV yellow) the finish was awful... really, it looked like the guitar was painted by a 5 year old. The part where the fretboard joins the neck (where the fret markers usually are if looking from the side) was so wrong I even thought it was a fake (but it wasnt) it looked like they taped the side of the fretboard to paint it and then just peeled the tape out and forgot about it, they should at least have used some sandpaper to make it look a little better.

This things sell for more than 800... why dont they pay more attention to the finish? Being faded doesnt mean they should be poorly painted. I dont have pics (i will go back and take some pics when I can) but here's a pic from an internet site

product_image.php?imageid=5471

hey there are no tuning heads on that guitar!! jk jk :-k

but really, the main problem ive had with many of gibson's faded models was that it was hard to find one with good craftsmanship skills put into it,

most of what i see has had no cosmetic attention to detail payed to the axe, which is not like gibson,

things like you said, the finnish was poor, or the frets stuck out like prongs, or the pickups were coming untaped and unwound

though every now and then you find a nice faded that might very well be worth more than its selling for

With Gibsons, a lot of what you pay for (aside from the name) is how fancy it is. Aside from pickups, how much different is a Studio from a Standard? It comes down to binding and finish.

I hear you though; if they're going to put a cheap finish on it and stick the Gibson name on it, at least take some care with it. I was considering one of those for a while but most of what I've read from people who bought them is much of what James just described so I never bothered to pursue one.

Good I didnt wait for them to arive (p90 faded gibsons) to put my order for the p90 loaded tele... If I hadnt placed that order last week I would have had to wait a month or two just to place the order as they only make orders from fender every 1 1/2 - 2 months.

I would rather buy an Epiphone than a Gibson Special. For the money you'd save you could upgrade the pickups and tuner heads and your guitar wouldn't look like someone took a dump and hung it on the wall of a guitar store.

Or you could just take one from the store and run for it...:-k

What boggles my mind is that Fender can put out a sweet USA Strat for $1' date='000 that has a great finish on it but Gibson puts out slop at that price range. Even my MIM Strat has a nice finish and that's at half the price.

[/quote']

I agree... does throw your mind for a loop!

Thats the main reason Fender acolites will give you to supprt their theory that fender is better. They can put out a guitar that looks great and has very good QC for 1000 or even less.

Which also makes me wonder why anyone would pay several thousand dollars for a Fender Custom Shop Strat; their regular production guitars are just fine as long as you loot through a bunch to find a good one just like any other guitar.

Which also makes me wonder why anyone would pay several thousand dollars for a Fender Custom Shop Strat; their regular production guitars are just fine as long as you loot through a bunch to find a good one just like any other guitar.

When you live in brazil and most of the guitars you buy you never really play untill they get home after shipping out of US or Japan you will understand why sometimes we have to make sure that the quality control is the best at hand.

Otherwise, I really agree with you =)

I hear you Thunder...I don't care much for the finish, but I love the way it feels on the neck and I love the way the P90s sound in it. I have played a bunch of these guitars some had better quality control than others. If I wanted one to look at, I'd pick up a used one from the late '90s or early '00s, some of them came with burst or gloss finish. I wanted one as a player that I wouldn't have to worry about too much. They used to be under $700. I bought one off ebay and it was stolen off of my porch. I'll probably look for another used one and if it needs it, I'll get the frets dressed...

My .02

I won the auction for a red LP faded DC off of ebay, for $500...The assmonkey, dipstick, b@stard (who was supposed to be an expert at shipping guitars) sent it via UPS, with "no signature required". It arrived on my porch at 10:28am, I got home at 12 noon. Somebody stole it off the porch before I got home. No witnesses... I'm still PISSED off.

This sounds like a consistency issue, because as KSG knows, I had my eye on a worn cherry one a few weeks back and it was absolutely beautiful. I could not fault the finish or the neck. When I went back to the shop, it was gone. I dream about it now. Maybe they are more finicky with the ones they export? I dont know.

There's an old saying in Texas about trucks: "I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy." People sometimes buy things based solely on names. I bought a MIM Strat a while ago for that reason and it sounds ok, but my cheap crappy-painted 28-year old Gibson Sonex blows it away (BTW my American Series Deluxe Strat is great though). I think that Gibson can build good quality guitars at cheaper prices. But why should they? They keep jacking up their prices and we keep buying!

Archived