Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sg50

The Tele dilemma

I got a Tele & a Strat right here and a lot more in between!

rig1.jpg

Original L6-S, later called "Custom". 1/3rd the cost of a reissue & it will kick major *** with the right setup.

As the proud owner of 5 Telecasters I would suggest that one is never enough. [thumbup]

Here's my girls: (From left to right) American Deluxe, American Standard,Chris Shiflett Telecaster Deluxe (MIM), FSR Ash Butterscotch (MIM) and Cabronita (MIM)

RevsTelecasters_zpsedb7309c.jpg

Now if I was only able to have one - yes I would get an American made one. If I had to get rid of all but one - I would keep the American Deluxe. Why? Well, because it was the most expensive of all of them and because of that it's neck is so buttery and wonderful and perfect and the tone is to die for & I would expect that because it costs so much more than the rest of them. Yes, you do get what you pay for. Does that mean I have complaints about the MIM ones? No. Not at all. In fact all of my MIM Teles hold tune wonderfully, play beautifully and sound great. I don't have to make a choice thankfully but if I did - well, there you have it.

All of the MIM Teles were purchased as used from Musicians Friend & American Musical and even though they were listed as "condition 2 - slight signs of wear from normal playing", none of them had a scratch or dent or anything on them whatsoever - they were as new. In fact I paid less for all 3 of the MIM Teles than I did for the American Deluxe. So there's that for you thrifty folks.

I would not build one because I do not have the patience or the time. If you do have the patience and the time and you get a used model that you can upgrade as you wish - go for it. I love Telecasters! [wub]

rig1.jpg

Original L6-S, later called "Custom". 1/3rd the cost of a reissue & it will kick major *** with the right setup.

Hello!

Now that is very interesting. Since I bought my 2011 L6S, I rarely play my Tele - I can get the same tones out of it.

I am even considering the selling of the Tele - even though it`s a beauty and dream to play.

Congratulations, by the way, beautiful L6-S.

Cheers... Bence

Nice to see an L6-S featured... [thumbup]

I'll see if I can get anything like a Tele tone out of mine

Meanwhile forget ye not the wonderful Esquire...IMO a work of minimalist genius... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Hi,

I have a white American special and I had tried the us std but I found It so flat compared with the am special.

It my prefered blues guitar perhaps It is due to the Texas Special pu but I love it :)

Hard to do without a Telecaster but managed thirty-two years this way. Meanwhile, my Gibson SG Supra and my N3 Noiseless modded Fender Nashville Power Telecaster are my main - ACOUSTIC guitars! [biggrin]

Ahem - forgot to mention: CAUTION - magnetic/piezo hybrid addict here... [rolleyes]

From left to right, strung .011" - .050" and with Levy'y MSS3 Tan straps unless otherwise noted:

MIM Nashville Power Telecaster, TexMex PUs, all stock

MIM Nashville Power Telecaster, N3 Noiseless PU modded

MIA American Deluxe Telecaster Ash, N3 Noiseless PUs, all stock except supplied strap - too neck heavy (!!!) for that but fine with the Levy's suede back [smile][thumbup]

MIM Nashville Power Telecaster, TexMex PUs, all stock, strung .010" - .046" and with the MIA Deluxe stock strap, usually played by a bandmate of mine or the girls I record from time to time (audio recordings only! ;) )

MII Special Telecaster FMT HH, Seymour Duncan '59 reverse wound/reverse polarity & Pearly Gates PUs, all stock

fiveTeles_zps8035b1e3.jpg

Wonderful collection, Capmaster! [thumbup]

Here is my MIM 2010 FSR Standard Ash BSB Tele:

HPIM2886.jpg

Definitely, deserves more love... just sounds too hot for me. Together with my L6S they are my shredding machines.

It has been modded with a 4-way switch and a push/pull for phase.

Cheers... Bence

Agree totally, Bence. The ash bodies nicely contribute to their distinctive tone. I tried some alder and ash Deluxes with rosewood and maple fretboard each then. The ash/maple combination was most to my taste.

I considered a phase push/pull mod for my American Deluxe, too, but I fear the tone pot affects the serial circuit tone via S1 switch too much. She has a no-load tone pot stock. I couldn't find 500 kOhms push/pull pots with a massive shaft.

Thanks all! I knew you'd have opinions on the matter!

I'm leaning toward the baja. Mostly for the sparkles. I checked out Warmoth's finished options (I didn't know they did flake), and my shopping cart has more than a grand for most of the parts. It would make sense (and cost even more) if I were building a beautiful rosewood model, but I'm not. And should I ever want to sell it, partscasters are harder to sell.

Failing that, I'll get a loaded body on the bay and put a Warmoth neck on it. I would not put a Fender logo on it though. I like the idea of replacing every part individually until it's just right.

There's definitely appeal to just buying a guitar that's good to go out of the box and customizing it as needed. And knowing that I'm going to hack it over time satisfies the inner tinkerer.

Of course, I'll share pics when NGD finally comes.

Maybe I should look for a deal on a B Bender body...

Thanks all! I knew you'd have opinions on the matter!

I'm leaning toward the baja. Mostly for the sparkles. I checked out Warmoth's finished options (I didn't know they did flake), and my shopping cart has more than a grand for most of the parts. It would make sense (and cost even more) if I were building a beautiful rosewood model, but I'm not. And should I ever want to sell it, partscasters are harder to sell.

Failing that, I'll get a loaded body on the bay and put a Warmoth neck on it. I would not put a Fender logo on it though. I like the idea of replacing every part individually until it's just right.

There's definitely appeal to just buying a guitar that's good to go out of the box and customizing it as needed. And knowing that I'm going to hack it over time satisfies the inner tinkerer.

Of course, I'll share pics when NGD finally comes.

Maybe I should look for a deal on a B Bender body...

I like your reasoning. Especially if you like to experiment- there are LOTS of good pups for a Tele you could get, and all a matter of taste.

One thing though: If you are leaning toward the metal flake, definitely PLAY IT FIRST! I have found that in most cases, metallic finishes can kill the tone of Fenders.

I know this because I have a thing for metallic finishes. My favorites usually are. There are some good sounding ones out there, but you have to go through a lot more to find them.

I like the idea of replacing every part individually until it's just right.

I dig it, but I've seen people that have gone this route..

By the time all is said and done, they will often have as much (or very close to that) into it as a Amer. made Special.

and it will have no resale value

of course there is always this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleASMVBL

36 month no interest,, how can you resist???

[thumbup]

rig1.jpg

Know about them - here's mine -, but...

L6-S_front_zpsf5f6c0f6.jpg

... like with all those Paul Reed Ses, there is neither Strat nor Tele nor Les Paul nor SG nor any whatever thing here. The L6-Ses are great guitars in their own right, the very different 2011 ones of mine, too, and they never needed to be marketed as anything else.

I was told by many players that such slogans mainly caused disappointment. I believe L6-S aka L6-S Custom guitars would have sold better without flawed biasing of potential buyers. Selling hybrid magnetic/piezo solidbody guitars as a perfect replacement for an amplified hollowbody would be a much better match.

By the way, the stock truss rod cover and lightweight stopbar of my L6-S are on the shelf.

Okay, you guys are seriously fueling some GAS now!

As the proud owner of 5 Telecasters I would suggest that one is never enough. [thumbup]

Here's my girls: (From left to right) American Deluxe, American Standard,Chris Shiflett Telecaster Deluxe (MIM), FSR Ash Butterscotch (MIM) and Cabronita (MIM)

RevsTelecasters_zpsedb7309c.jpg

Now if I was only able to have one - yes I would get an American made one. If I had to get rid of all but one - I would keep the American Deluxe. Why? Well, because it was the most expensive of all of them and because of that it's neck is so buttery and wonderful and perfect and the tone is to die for & I would expect that because it costs so much more than the rest of them. Yes, you do get what you pay for. Does that mean I have complaints about the MIM ones? No. Not at all. In fact all of my MIM Teles hold tune wonderfully, play beautifully and sound great. I don't have to make a choice thankfully but if I did - well, there you have it.

All of the MIM Teles were purchased as used from Musicians Friend & American Musical and even though they were listed as "condition 2 - slight signs of wear from normal playing", none of them had a scratch or dent or anything on them whatsoever - they were as new. In fact I paid less for all 3 of the MIM Teles than I did for the American Deluxe. So there's that for you thrifty folks.

I would not build one because I do not have the patience or the time. If you do have the patience and the time and you get a used model that you can upgrade as you wish - go for it. I love Telecasters! [wub]

Nice looking family there RDL. Sounds like the Deluxe was worth every penny! What's up with the LP-ish switch setup on the Shiflett?

Hard to do without a Telecaster but managed thirty-two years this way. Meanwhile, my Gibson SG Supra and my N3 Noiseless modded Fender Nashville Power Telecaster are my main - ACOUSTIC guitars! [biggrin]

Ahem - forgot to mention: CAUTION - magnetic/piezo hybrid addict here... [rolleyes]

From left to right, strung .011" - .050" and with Levy'y MSS3 Tan straps unless otherwise noted:

MIM Nashville Power Telecaster, TexMex PUs, all stock

MIM Nashville Power Telecaster, N3 Noiseless PU modded

MIA American Deluxe Telecaster Ash, N3 Noiseless PUs, all stock except supplied strap - too neck heavy (!!!) for that but fine with the Levy's suede back [smile][thumbup]

MIM Nashville Power Telecaster, TexMex PUs, all stock, strung .010" - .046" and with the MIA Deluxe stock strap, usually played by a bandmate of mine or the girls I record from time to time (audio recordings only! ;) )

MII Special Telecaster FMT HH, Seymour Duncan '59 reverse wound/reverse polarity & Pearly Gates PUs, all stock

fiveTeles_zps8035b1e3.jpg

Nice, cap! Lots of "hometown" twang there...with a little extra sump'n-sump'n.

Wonderful collection, Capmaster! [thumbup]

Here is my MIM 2010 FSR Standard Ash BSB Tele:

HPIM2886.jpg

Definitely, deserves more love... just sounds too hot for me. Together with my L6S they are my shredding machines.

It has been modded with a 4-way switch and a push/pull for phase.

Cheers... Bence

Looks like a very good place to start for a Tele novice!

Σß

Looks like a very good place to start for a Tele novice!

Σß

Well, Gibson forumites know and love other fine guitars, too. Very little chances for brand-blinded folks. [biggrin]

Know about them - here's mine -, but...

L6-S_front_zpsf5f6c0f6.jpg

... like with all those Paul Reed Ses, there is neither Strat nor Tele nor Les Paul nor SG nor any other thing here. The L6-Ses are great guitars in their own right, the very different 2011 ones of mine, too, and they never needed to be marketed as anything else.

I was told by many players that such slogans mainly caused disappointment. I believe L6-S aka L6-S Custom guitars would have sold better without flawed biasing of potential buyers. Selling hybrid magnetic/piezo solidbody guitars as a perfect replacement for an amplified hollowbody would be a much better match.

By the way, the stock truss rod cover and lightweight stopbar of my L6-S are on the shelf.

You may be right about the claims about the L6-S. Such bluster can be off-putting for sure but, it was Carlos Santana that said it. He called it his "rainbow."

It definitely doesn't hurt its image to have been played by artists with varying styles and musical abilities... Al DiMeola, Keith Richards, Johnny Borrell, Lady Bo(Diddley) to name a few.

It was also the foundation much of the Doobie Brothers '73 album The Captain And Me was built upon. It can be very hard to duplicate that "clean" sound!

Even so, I could run it through an old Barcus-Berry acoustic pickup pre-amp to get that perfect nasty fuzz for playing the Beatles "Revolution."

What year was yours made? I've noticed that many don't appear to have as much bevel as some others. I assume it was just a change in production.

Nice to see an L6-S featured... [thumbup]

I'll see if I can get anything like a Tele tone out of mine

Meanwhile forget ye not the wonderful Esquire...IMO a work of minimalist genius... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Thanks V. It would seem to be the right guitar for someone with a username such as yours!

Σß

You may be right about the claims about the L6-S. Such bluster can be off-putting for sure but, it was Carlos Santana that said it. He called it his "rainbow."

It definitely doesn't hurt its image to have been played by artists with varying styles and musical abilities... Al DiMeola, Keith Richards, Johnny Borrell, Lady Bo(Diddley) to name a few.

It was also the foundation much of the Doobie Brothers '73 album The Captain And Me was built upon. It can be very hard to duplicate that "clean" sound!

Even so, I could run it through an old Barcus-Berry acoustic pickup pre-amp to get that perfect nasty fuzz for playing the Beatles "Revolution."

What year was yours made? I've noticed that many don't appear to have as much bevel as some others. I assume it was just a change in production.

You can't really duplicate guitars nicely using others, but the L6-S is absolutely uncopyable. Not even close, no way. Many out there for sale have replacement pickups, and there are no other pickups designed or sounding anything like the stock ones. One of the mostly underrated guitars ever if you asked me.

In my case, one probably can't duplicate the intense smell of incense, too. It had spent decades virtually unplayed in the sacristy of a church in UK.

Mine has an undatable serial number. Maximum proabability says 1973 without having checked pot numbering up to now. The only thing I ever did to her except setting up and playing was grounding the neck pickup base. Pictures on the web showed me that this was omitted by some more of them. Possibly the unbearable hum and buzz made people swap pickups instead of fixing the problem. I was very careful when soldering, for epoxy, coils and magnets.

I think the beveling is smaller on earlier ones. I'm glad about it since it would increase neck heaviness. Despite of that, I would prefer the strap on the upper bout instead of the neck joint but never will change that, of course. Would love to have another one with ebony fretboard. Like all of my Gibsons with neck volutes (!) including the one of my two 2011 L6Ses with that feature (sic!), it has a significant dull note.

Finally, I love ALL of my guitars most with deactivated amp EQs through a HiFi speaker system. Although I often use extreme gain when playing with the band, I practice most of the time using an acoustic guitar amp with magnetic pickups, too, not just with piezos.

Very nice indeed, the L6s. I had one, the simpler one in wine red with a r'wood board. Think the scale is 25 1/2"?

However we are getting off track (off dilemma?), so....once more with feeling - this one is 1967:

TeleWeb2_zpsbbe7d0bf.jpg

Check the pics in this link and the teles for sale, sg! This is how it works:

http://www.stringbender.com/

Regards!

Very nice indeed, the L6s. I had one, the simpler one in wine red with a r'wood board. Think the scale is 25 1/2"?

Regards!

My L6-S (aka Custom) as well as my 2011 L6Ses are 24 3/4".

My L6-S (aka Custom) as well as my 2011 L6Ses are 24 3/4".

Thankyou Cap. I am corrected. That was another guitar I should never have sold [cursing] !!

so....once more with feeling - this one is 1967:

TeleWeb2_zpsbbe7d0bf.jpg

I'm so jonesing for a stringbender - this is the one with the Parsons/White isn't it?

I'm so jonesing for a stringbender - this is the one with the Parsons/White isn't it?

Yes oh yes. In my arms right now. Last week a guitarist who is just over half my age and far better than me (fluent reader, music degree, cruises, pit band experience, connections) played it and begged me to put him 1st on the list if I ever considered selling it. I almost had to prise it away from him. However like rct said this one is going in the box with me.

Pup check the link 'cos you can buy a kit and you could fairly easily fit it with your skills.

Teles - it's a playing epiphany then you have to have one. Everything lives in the treble.