Gibson Brands Forums

Most Influential DRUMMERS and PERCUSSIONISTS

capmaster

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are far too many different styles out there to really answer this question. Neil Peart loved Buddy Rich, and he'd say that Buddy was the best ever. When he first played at his memorial concert Neil said that he was terrible. So Neil took lessons from Freddie Gruber. At first Freddie didn't even get him on the drums. He just made him learn how to loosen up his arms into a more flowing motion. It's nice to know that a drummer who did have a big influence on many drummers, including our drummer (we played in a Rush cover band for years), didn't think he was good enough. He still thinks that way today.

BTW, I was in the House of Guitars with my drummer one time. We went upstairs to check on the drum room (pretty much the entire second floor). We saw this amazing kit and we asked the salesman about it. He said that it belonged to Steve Gadd! Turns out he was born from not too far away and still had family in the area. He was giving a drum clinic later that day but we couldn't stick around.

Jim Gordon. The guy on the Clapton at Hyde Park, circa 1995. Butch Trucks. The guy(s) on The Rainbow Concert. Jamie Oldaker. Myron Grombacher, Pat Benatars drummer, played standing up. And of course, I didn't see mentioned, Michael Derosier, each of his performances on the early Heart records was just a freight train lesson in drumming. Who can listen to Barracuda without air drumming? But listen to how little he did while doing so much.

Oh, that guy that played on Fool In The Rain. Him. And his kid! Youtube a song called Wait For You, sums up that family drumming perfectly.

rct

Don most assuredly deserves some love, as do Mark & Mel! Those guys were phenomenal, and seminal in some ways!

Last I heard, Farner moved to Nashville & had his hand in some Contemporary Christian stuff.

Σß

Check out the Farner interviews on his days with GFR on youtube. Great story on how his old buddy Don stole away his share in the band.

Elvin Jones Tony Williams Roy Haynes Max Roach Al Foster Jack DeJohnette Big Sid Catlett Art Blakey Ringo Starr Jimmy Cobb Philly Joe Jones Mitch Mitchell Mike Clark Ginger Baker Martin Drew Tony Crombie Jim Keltner John Vidacovich Dennis Chambers Billy Cobham Eric Gravatt Peter Erskine Omar Hakkim Al Mouzon Buddy Rich Kenny Clarke Steve Gadd Richie Hayward Dave Weckl Roger Hawkins Steve Jordan Bill Stewart Nic France John Marshall Joe Chambers Jeff Watts Brian Blade Michael Shrieve.....

And that is nowhere near all of the drummers, just a few. I love a good drummer. Phil Collins is an incredible drummer.

Don't get me started on the percussionists. Airto Moreira, Dom Um Romao, Armando Peraza, Jose Chepito Areas, the Escovedos, Alyrio Lima......how much time you got?

Regards!

I see you mentioned Dennis Chambers. [thumbup] His name isn't as well known as some of the others, but he has played with some of the best bands and musicians around. I don't claim to know him, but I do know people who know him :rolleyes: and they all say aside from being one of the best drummers around, he is a really great down-to-earth guy.

EVOL, I'm surprised more haven't mentioned Levon Helm too - he had great feel & groove to his playing.

Here's 2 more of my favourites that I forgot to add earlier that most people won't know of;

Dave King (His work with the modern Jazz band The Bad Plus is outstanding)

Sebastian Rochford (from a London based Jazz group Polar Bear & Acoustic Ladyland)

EVOL, I'm surprised more haven't mentioned Levon Helm too - he had great feel & groove to his playing.

He was one of a kind. I honestly cannot think of another drummer that has his style. Once I got into The Band I was hooked on his playing (and singing :) ).

He was one of a kind. I honestly cannot think of another drummer that has his style. Once I got into The Band I was hooked on his playing (and singing :) ).

Decades of gigging, for me the highlight of the night, often several nights in a row, from back then right on up to 2003, The Weight paid for the entire gig for me. The singing, the lyrical content, the powerful understatement of the bass and drums, and the dynamics because we'd usually power it up a little around the third verse and then back off. No solo, no cymbal bashing, had to sing too much so couldn't even pass the monitors and get on the dance floor. I do love the band The Band.

rct

Decades of gigging, for me the highlight of the night, often several nights in a row, from back then right on up to 2003, The Weight paid for the entire gig for me. The singing, the lyrical content, the powerful understatement of the bass and drums, and the dynamics because we'd usually power it up a little around the third verse and then back off. No solo, no cymbal bashing, had to sing too much so couldn't even pass the monitors and get on the dance floor. I do love the band The Band.

rct

[thumbup]

The Band was a great band. I feel that Mr. Dylan taught them a thing or two with his impromptu ever changing arrangements (of the same song!), etc..

I would argue that The Band (The Hawks at the time) taught Dylan how to play with and lead a band.

Archived