Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
capmaster

Most Influential DRUMMERS and PERCUSSIONISTS

I would argue that The Band (The Hawks at the time) taught Dylan how to play with and lead a band.

I would have to agree with that. I love Mr. Dylan, but I think he would agree with the role lots of luck has played for him,

and The Hawks were some of that luck.

rct

Hmmm. Good point. Maybe some of each?

Absolutely. I would also add that the basement tapes show Dylan teaching them about old folk music.

I would have to agree with that. I love Mr. Dylan, but I think he would agree with the role lots of luck has played for him,

and The Hawks were some of that luck.

rct

Yes.

In regards to Dylan and The Band;

I love The Band, they are one of my all time favourites [thumbup]

But Bob Dylan I'm not a big fan of... yes he wrote some great songs (well great lyrics mainly), but his voice just killed them for me so I struggle to get through any Dylan album without pressing STOP!!! In many cases I prefer covers of Dylan.

Very interesting and righteous post... [thumbup]

Evelyn Glennie

Karen Carpenter

Caroline Corr

Joe Morrello

Mitch Mitchell

Paul McCartney

Levon Helm

Jeff Beck

Brian Bennett

Jon Hiseman...

V

:-({|=

First, and I'm showing some age here, I remember some television specials where Buddy Rich did things that left me watching with my mouth hanging open! I think he was the original drummer phenom in my book!

There's a good clip of him on the Jerry Lewis comedy/variety show way back in black & white that was pretty astounding. You can search it up on Youtube... And frankly Jerry Lewis was no slouch on the drums either!

I think some of my earliest recollections of serious drummers has to do mostly with John Mayall's Blues Breakers.

From Aynsley Dunbar, to Mick Fleetwood, etc.

Alot of British guys stood out to me; Ian Paice, Cozy Powell, Colin Allen...

And of course they guy that was thought of as a living embodiment of Satan; Ginger Baker.

Ginger Baker stood out because everything he did emphasized the 1 & 3, the normal Rock & Roll and pop drumming emphasized the 2 & 4, but Baker was very African percussion based in his style and stood out from the crowd for going against the flow of popularity and the norm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIqa27Ml3jI

He really was a force of nature. He actually scared alot of folks who thought he really was possessed by a malevolent spirit... He seemed to embrace that whatever it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkJC6XQ5iLA

But I do like his drumming very much.

I've worked with a number of drummers over the years and if you click and connect it makes all the difference in the world. When you develop the ability to be able to naturally intuitively anticipate each other and meet at that spot in perfect sync and timing, it is special!

I've head the pleasure of having 2 drummers in my life that I developed that with, both named Paul oddly enough...

When you have that comfort you build the confidence to try things you think you aren't normally capable of, and you find a way to pull them off, and play beyond your normal abilities. It is spiritual and miraculous and for moments you can do anything!

I liked Chris "Whipper" Layton of SRV's Double Trouble very much!

maybe not the most influential ,,, perhaps most underrated.

Also pretty much all the percussionists who have played with Zappa, Terry Bozzio and Chad Wackerman come to mind.

Billy Cobham also deserves to be mentioned, from Mahavishnu.