Gibson Brands Forums

ES- 355 TDSV Neck Profiles?

Spot

Hi guys, my first post here, I was wondering if anybody could help in answering a few questions regarding ES 355 TDSV neck profiles as I'm super confused. I hear that the chunky neck ones have always been in demand but all I ever seem to see on EBAY and in Vintage Guitar stores is the super slim tapered profile, with a narrow nut...

My question is this: Did Gibson make one profile each year or did they offer a choice of multiple profiles as an option? Mine is an early 70's, therefore, would all other early '70's be the same neck profile as mine? :-k

Thanks in advance, oh, and here she is in all her glory....O:)

70Gibson355TDSV1low2.jpg

I spoke to a guy at a Vintage Guitar shop this week who said that for Gibson guitars in the 60's/70's there was no specific "mold" of neck profile and the Gibson Luthier working that day never made the same guitar twice. It was only later that a standardised system was put in place and neck profile were much more ordered.[-o<

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

As far as the ES-355 goes...I can only speak for the one I used to own...a '67. It had a fairly skinny neck. A little too skinny for my liking. It seems that Gibson was a little random on neck sizes through the 60's and 70's. It seems that the chubbier necks of the 50's gave way to a thinner,wide neck in '60 on. I once had a '60 LP Jr. The neck was average width but thin in depth. I traded/sold both of them because they weren,t comfortable players for me. I wish I had kept them for the profitability standpoint...RRod

Archived