Gibson Brands Forums

Riviera P93 string guage

slk

Ok guys do you think that the Thomastik flatwound JS113 (.013-.053) are too heavy for this guitar? I picked up a couple of sets on clearance at GC and did not give it any thought that they may be detrimental to my new guitar. I have the guitar set up with this brand of flatwounds but I think they may be 12's instead of 13's. I seam to have CRS sometimes if ya get my drift. I just don't want to hurt anything.

Thanks

Steve

Ok guys do you think that the Thomastik flatwound JS113 (.013-.053) are too heavy for this guitar? I picked up a couple of sets on clearance at GC and did not give it any thought that they may be detrimental to my new guitar. I have the guitar set up with this brand of flatwounds but I think they may be 12's instead of 13's. I seam to have CRS sometimes if ya get my drift. I just don't want to hurt anything.

Thanks

Steve

For what it is worth, I use Black Beauties 10-46 on my Riviera.

Pete

I don't know enough about anything to disagree with anyone who's responded, but I do know two things:

All Epi elec's come factory setup for 10-46. I'd think that a gauge bump to 13's would require a setup at a minimum and more than likely a new nut (or at least major mod's to the existing).

The other is that there was a similar thread (maybe here, maybe not) but a pretty knowledgeable member made a comment about the additional stress the increased string gauge could put on the headstock, and if you "ding" it, it could be not pretty (i.e. snap). [scared]

Like I said, what do I know? Just food for thought.

Archived